PHUKET: The prime suspect in the rape of a Rohingya woman was released from Takuapa District Prison on Monday after the case against him was dropped for insufficient evidence, said a court officer on Tuesday.
The 26-year-old Rohingya man had been held at the prison since June while the Takuapa Court gathered evidence (story here).
“The judge wrote in his report from Monday’s hearing that the case was dismissed because of insufficient evidence,” Wipu Singha, Takuapa Provincial Court officer, told the Phuket Gazette.
“The prosecutor has 30 days to appeal the court’s decision. There has not been a request for an appeal from the prosecutor yet.”
The suspect was released from Takuapa Prison on Monday, and is now being held in the Takuapa Police Station, said Takuapa Prison officer Sunthorn Kumprayoon.
“We will contact Phang Nga Immigration, who will be in charge of holding him until the 30 days are up,” said Maj Surawut Sungsnga of the Takuapa Police .
“If there is no request for an appeal, he will be deported back to Myanmar. We don’t know which way things will go, it depends on Kuraburi Police and the court,” Maj Surawut added.
The Kuraburi Police declined to comment on the case.
“We have yet to receive the official report from the court,” said Saner Sumard of the Kuraburi Police said yesterday.
“We cannot comment until we receive the report, as it explains exactly why the case was dismissed.”
— Irfarn Jamdukor