Connect with us

Thailand

‘Hunger Games’ sequel preview screenings cancelled

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published 

 on 

‘Hunger Games’ sequel preview screenings cancelled | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

PHUKET MEDIA WATCH

– Thailand news selected by Gazette editors for Phuket’s international community

‘Hunger Games’ sequel preview screenings cancelled
The Nation / Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: Special previews set for today at two cinemas in Siam Square of the latest in the series idolized by coup protesters, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, have been abruptly cancelled.

The anti-coup movement has adopted the movie’s three-finger salute as a symbolic gesture in their rallies against the military government.

At Scala Theatre, 160 seats had been booked by a group calling themselves the “Thammasat University Liberals for Democracy”. They reportedly named their campaign “Raise three fingers, Net popcorn and Enter the theatre” and scheduled noon showings at Scala and Lido theaters.

On the website of Thai-language Matichon daily, the organizers noted that the cancellation, explained to them by the staff of the Apex movie chain that owns both theaters, could have followed from an anti-coup protest in front of Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha during a speech he was making at a government-hosted event in Khon Kaen (story here).

Another film, Magic in the Moonlight by Hollywood director Woody Allen, has been substituted for Mockingjay, the website said.

— Phuket Gazette Editors

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Thailand. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Opinion

Special Tourist Visa 2.0 – This is what should happen on September 26

Tim Newton

Published

on

Special Tourist Visa 2.0 – This is what should happen on September 26 | The Thaiger

OPINION So here’s an idea. If Thailand truly wants to attract tourists why not offer FREE QUARANTINE for the first 10,000 people who contact their Royal Thai Embassy and register to come as tourists under the new Special Tourist Visa. The Thai government or TAT could pay the hotels directly (I bet it will be a lot less than the extortionate price currently being asked by participating hotels). Some other countries are paying for tourist quarantine expenses. Thailand, with a big reliance, directly and indirectly, on tourist dollars, should consider the same. Provide a valid incentive rather than just spewing […]

Continue Reading

Thailand

US accuses Chinese companies of exploitation along the Mekong River

The Thaiger & The Nation

Published

on

US accuses Chinese companies of exploitation along the Mekong River | The Thaiger

The US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is accusing Chinese companies of “exploitative practices” in the Mekong River region after a new partnership has been launched to combat “transnational crimes”. Pompeo named the China Communications Construction Company as one of the big offenders and says the Chinese Communist Party is responsible for the increase in human, wildlife and drug trafficking in the region. He says the new partnership will also strengthen water security for partner countries where China has added to a drought in the region as an upstream damming by China has been carried out in “a completely non-transparent […]

Continue Reading

Thailand

Prosecutors officially indict Boss over 8 year old hit-and-run case

The Thaiger & The Nation

Published

on

Prosecutors officially indict Boss over 8 year old hit-and-run case | The Thaiger

Prosecutors in Thailand have seemingly taken an about face as they have officially indicted Vorayuth “Boss” Yoovidhya, the heir of the Red Bull empire, on “reckless driving causing death” and drugs charges. The latest moves in the cases follow intense public backlash after the cases was being dropped altogether 2 months ago by the deputy attorney general. The indictment comes 8 years after the incident where Boss allegedly crashed his silver Ferrari into the motorbike of a 47 year old policeman, dragging him along Sukhumvit Road for 100 metres, killing him. Since the dropping of the case, Thailand’s judiciary system […]

Continue Reading
Follow The Thaiger by email:

Trending