University of Canberra urgently evacuates students after ‘gas leak’

…but Asian students wouldn’t have bothered rushing to the doors.

Tertiary students have had to evacuate an exam room in the Australian capital of Canberra following a suspected gas leak and foul stench that was making the students ill.

Staff at the University of Canberra library were forced to evacuate the building. But a search from security staff found that it wasn’t a gas leak at all. It was far more dangerous!

“We’ve been evacuated! Will post an update when students can re-enter the building,” someone wrote in a Facebook post.

Related news

550 people had to evacuate the building and, thanks to safety training, the block was evacuated in less than six minutes. Emergency services then ventured in to find the source of the pungent smell.

“Fortunately the suspected gas leak turned out to be a part of a durian – the offending fruit has now been removed.”

The Australian Capital Territory Emergency Services Agency said that a specialised team had carried out “atmospheric monitoring to ensure the area was safe.”

But it appears that getting rid of the fruit doesn’t get rid of the lingering smell.

“The lingering gas-like smell in the building is completely safe,” the post reveals that a durian had been left in a bin, presumably by an Asian student.

The “King of Fruits” has an unmistakable shape, texture and… aroma. The spiky, barbed ball is filled with starchy, custard-like pods. And a smell which is strong enough to, well, clear an Australian exam room.

University of Canberra urgently evacuates students after 'gas leak' | News by Thaiger

Food
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Thaiger

If you have story ideas, a restaurant to review, an event to cover or an issue to discuss, contact The Thaiger editorial staff.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply