Chef scorched in Patong gas explosion

PATONG: The chef at a newly opened restaurant on Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Rd suffered first- and second-degree burns to 40% of his body after a cooking gas cylinder exploded on Wednesday morning.

Pol Capt Jongserm Preecha of the Kathu Police told the Gazette that he received a report at 8 am that there was an explosion at Patong Corner Restaurant, on the corner of Soi Jintana.

The chef at the restaurant, 32-year-old Chairat Inkaew from Phang Nga, had his arms and upper body scorched in the explosion. He was rushed to Patong Hospital, and later transferred to the burns ward at Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket City.

Capt Jongserm said the blast likely resulted either from carelessness on the part of staff or faulty equipment, which had only recently been installed.

The new restaurant opened for business on December 17, he added.

Capt Jongserm estimated the damages to the restaurant at 300,000 to 400,000 baht.

“The restaurant was fitted out with all high-quality materials. The owner said that he had invested about 1 million baht [in the restaurant],” Capt Jongserm said.

The owner is a Bangkok-based investor, he added.

K. Chairat is now listed in stable condition and is able to walk. However, he is expected to be hospital bound for about two weeks.

Phuket News

Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.

Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.

Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Leave a Reply