Phuket officials order a halt to deadly bungy jump
PHUKET: Officers have ordered a halt to any further development of the illegal bungy-jumping site in Phuket where two men died and one was seriously injured Friday night.
“It was built more than four times higher than had been approved,” said Chalong Mayor Samran Jindapol.
The Chalong Municipality had approved construction of a 12-meter jump tower. However, the final construction, which had not yet been approved for safety, was 52 meters tall when it was fatally tested (story here).
“They had only requested a building permit. They had not yet asked for permission to use it. Of course if they had asked, we wouldn’t have approved it because it is illegal to build higher than 12 meters in the area,” Mayor Samran said.
The project is located near Soi Guan Yu shrine in Chalong.
“We had received complaints from locals about the height of the jump and had asked the company to stop the project,” Mayor Samran said.
Tossaporn Suksri, one of the owners, and his mechanic Pitakchai Wongsricha, 30, both fell to their deaths after a malfunction caused the platform they were standing on to free fall.
“The cable attached to the platform frayed and snapped,” explained Chalong Police Deputy Superintendent Jumroon Plaidoung.
Anupong Kantawong, who had jumped with the bungy cord attached to his feet and anchored to the platform before the malfunction, was seriously injured after crashing into the pond below.
Mr Tossaporn’s partners have been told to halt work on the project.
Mr Anupong was rushed from the site to Vachira Phuket Hospital.
— Kritsada Mueanhawong
Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.
Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.
Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.