Austrian found dead in hotel room

PATONG: An Austrian man was found dead in his hotel room on the afternoon of March 22, an apparent victim of alcohol poisoning.

According to the Kathu Police daily log for that day, 38-year-old Dr Werner Jellen was found dead in room 302 of Patong Resort Hotel at 2:30 pm.

Pol Lt Col Sophon Borirak reported that there was no evidence of foul play in the room, in which two bottles of whiskey were found.

Police collected the man’s belongings, listed as 920 euros in cash; 13 travelers’ checks with a total value of 8,290 baht; a wristwatch, two cameras and two suitcases and their contents. Also collected was Dr Jellen’s Austrian passport.

The daily log, noting that the victim’s body was covered with vomit, listed the probable cause of death as toxic shock and heart failure from alcohol ingestion.

His body was sent to Patong Hospital, where it is to be held until it can be claimed by relatives.

Phuket News

Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.

Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.

Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Leave a Reply