Thai Marriage Visa: Expiry and Extensions

Is your Thai Marriage about to expire? Find out everything you need to know about Thai marriage expiry and extension with our complete guide below!

What is the most common misunderstanding about Thai marriage visas?

There is no such thing as a marriage visa. People casually mention a “marriage visa,” but the fact is that the Thai Immigration Department has no such thing on the books. Instead, one may apply for a Non-Immigrant O visa which can then be extended if the applicant has a Thai partner.

Key Points

  • The Thai Marriage visa can be renewed every year.
  • A Thailand Marriage Visa is valid for up to 90 days and can be used for single or multiple entries.
  • When a work permit is obtained, the Marriage Visa in Thailand can allow the holder to work in Thailand.

What are the terms and conditions before you can legally marry a Thai woman?

Everything is conditional to be legally married in Thailand, your Thai partner must be at least 17 years old, a Thai citizen with proof of identity and not legally married to someone else. There should be sufficient evidence to submit to the immigration authorities that you are lawfully married. The other big condition has to do with money which states that a foreigner married to a Thai spouse is allowed to demonstrate proof of a monthly income of 40,000 baht or a lump sum of 400,000 baht in the bank. Thai Immigration does not want international visitors to be a burden on the country’s capital but rather to be a contributor.

Foreign men who were previously living in Thailand and obtaining visa extensions under previous regulations may continue to do so under the new legislation where they are effectively accumulated in.

How does the extension procedure work?

You must apply for the extension at your local Immigration office with all of the proper documentation while your existing Non-Immigrant visa is still valid in order to receive it. If your information appears to be in compliance, you will normally be given a 30-45-day temporary extension. Following the expiration of this temporary duration, you must report to Immigration to know the outcome of your application for an extension. At this point, you should be given an extension that will allow you to remain for another year.

Simply prepare the same fee and documentation as the first time that you applied and request a year-on-year extension. This will necessarily require two visits to Immigration, one for the application and the other for the hearing. After your extension is issued, you must report to immigration once every 90 days with a one-week grace period to make your report in person before or after your 90-day deadline.

According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Thailand, you will need to show your documentation and pass an eligibility test.

What documents are required to extend a Thai marriage visa?

The following documents are required for a Thai marriage visa:

T.M. 7 application form
One photo (4x6cm)
TM6 arrival/departure card and a copy of your passport, particularly if you have a non-immigrant visa.
Fee for extending a visa (1900 THB).
A copy of your marriage license (letter of evidence from the embassy if married outside Thailand)
Two copies of Kor Ror 2 (marriage registration) from the Amphoe office, dated within the last 6 months.
Birth certificates for children (if any)
A copy of the house registration of your spouse
A copy of your spouse’s ID card
Evidence of combined income of at least 40,000 baht for the past three months (income tax documents PDN1. forms, pension documentation, proof of income from savings, work permit, etc.).

It is common to be required to prepare two copies of each required document and photo if the application is processed outside of Bangkok. Until submitting, make sure that all copies are signed in ink. Most Immigration offices will ask for this list but officials will request additional proof of the marriage at their discretion, so better prepare the following items ready in case they are requested: A map location of your house and an image of the inside and outside of your house with you and your family and with the house number visible.

Every 90 days, holders of a Non-Immigrant O Marriage Visa must notify a Thai immigration office of their current address.

How to extend your Thai marriage visa?

You must leave the country or apply for permission to stay longer because non-immigrant visas are usually only valid for 90 days. A foreign national who is married to a Thai will be granted a one-year stay extension (so after the first 90 days, you will be given an additional 275 days to finish the year). You will extend your stay for a total of 365 days after your first extension has been approved and you can do so year after year without restriction.

Marriage Visa and Overstaying

When it comes to overstaying your marriage visa, the rules are similar to the rules of other visas, where The fine for overstaying is 500 Baht per day, reaching a maximum fine of 20,000 Baht (when overstaying 40 or more days). When overstaying for a significant amount of time (90 or more days), you can face the possibility of a ban from Thailand starting from 1 year to 10 years.

However, the only difference between marriage visa and the rest of the visa is that you will still need to show that you bank statement with 400,000 baht in your account two months in advance.

Other Visa Services

Visa Guides