Thailand Education Visa: Most Frequently Asked Questions

Find out Everything you need to know about Education Visas in Thailand and get the answers to the most frequently asked questions!

Who is qualified to apply for Thailand’s Education Visa?

If you enrol in a government-accredited school or university in Thailand, you may apply for an education visa in Thailand. Any nationality is welcome in Thailand and people from all over the world may apply for a student visa or an education visa in which they will apply for a non-immigrant education visa for one year.

People from Bangladesh, China, India, Iran, Sri Lanka and other Middle Eastern countries must apply from their home country.

Key Points

  • This form of visa has grown in popularity as more people choose to remain in Thailand longer without having to reapply for a Tourist visa.
  • Non-Immigrant “ED” visas are given to those who are currently enrolled in a Thai educational institution or other vocational courses.
  • The applicant will be given a visa for a period of 8 months which can be renewed annually.

Why should I apply for an Education Visa rather than a Tourist Visa?

A tourist visa allows you to stay in Thailand for a maximum of 90 days. The process is very similar to applying for an education visa, and you will be stamped for 60 days upon arrival, with the option to extend it for another 30 days at immigration for 19xx Baht.

On the other hand, if you have a Non-Immigrant ED visa, you can stay in Thailand for up to a year as long as you meet all of the visa’s requirements. When you arrive, you will be given a 60-day visa and will need to apply for an extension every two months, which will cost 19xx Baht and can be done as many times as your visa is valid.

How many months is my ED Visa valid for?

The ED visa for students participating in a Thai language school course is a 90-day visa ended up to 8 months. As a result, even if you enroll in a 14-month program, you must apply for a new ED visa after the first 8 months to complete the remaining 6 months.

All types of non-immigrant visas are subject to 90-day reporting which means you must report your current address to the Immigration Office.

What are the different types of Thailand education visas?

You should be aware that the Student Visa Thailand is a general visa for those studying or taking courses in Thailand. It is only one form of the visa but it is divided into two categories: Students enrolled in Language Schools or Technical Courses, as well as those enrolled in Universities or International Schools who are attempting to complete their degrees.

Your first Non-Immigrant “ED” visa will only be valid for 90 days or 3 months if you’re only taking language classes or working on a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Thailand, but don’t worry you can extend it for a year with several entries until it expires. To be eligible for the extension, the school, university, or institution must have documentation confirming your enrollment and demonstrating that you will study for a year or more.

The education visa is only valid for academic purposes.

What is a 90 reporting for my ED visa?

The education visa is a 90-day visa that can be extended up to 8 months for students enrolled in a Thai language school course. As a result, even though you enrol in a 14-month program you must apply for a new ED visa to begin the remaining 6 months. The 90 day reporting can be accomplished in 3 ways:

In person at the Thai immigration office,
by mail,
through a Power of Attorney agent.

You do not need to report your status if you are not in Thailand on the date your 90-day reporting is due. Your 90-day reporting period will resume the day you re-enter Thailand.

What is the Letter of Admission?

You will receive an acceptance letter also known as a “Letter of Admission,” once your application has been approved.

The official managing official will sign the Letter of Admission which will be printed on the university departments’ official letterhead. This letter will confirm your participation in the program and will invite you to start classes on a particular date. It will also decide the number of classes you will enrol in during the semester. The student visa is a one-year visa available only to those who want to study properly and is not intended to be a back-door to a long lazy holiday and each semester you must enrol in at least three classes.

Since most universities’ courses are spread out over the whole semester which is typically 5 months long in Thailand, you’ll want to make sure your application will show that you’re a serious student. Even if the university accepts you for a single course, you will not be able to obtain the necessary visa to remain in the country for that long.

Other Visa Services

Visa Guides