Stricter measures and lockdown may be coming

Thaiger

Health officials say stricter measures may need to be imposed in the next 2 weeks, including a complete lockdown of cities. This intensified lockdown could happen in the next 2 months if the rate of infection does not increase, said the Director General of the Department of Disease Control Dr Opart Karnkawinpong, yesterday Dr Opart says if the new infection rate remains high, there is a possibility that a lockdown like the one Wuhan imposed may be in the cards. This lockdown would entail people staying at home, disallowing travel, and food and water being delivered to people’s homes says […]

The post Stricter measures and lockdown may be coming appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

25 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

lockdown could happen in the next 2 months if the rate of infection does not increase,

A typo there I think.

A timely warning or scaremongering?  I thought the latter was prohibited but I guess those who make the rules can also break them, TiT.

• Haha 8

Just now, KaptainRob said:

A timely warning or scaremongering?  I thought the latter was prohibited but I guess those who make the rules can also break them, TiT.

... TiT

The following news item lists the "dark red" zone provinces as being Bangkok, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Samut Sakhon, Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani, Yala, Pattani, Songkhla, Narathiwat, Chon Buri, Chachoengsao and Ayutthaya:

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/tight-restrictions-curfews-in-13-dark-red-provinces-until-august-2

Yet according to the following news item Surin, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Rayong and Ratchaburi should also be included in the "dark red" zone list:

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/transport/lockdown-extending-as-flights-from-dark-red-zones-are-banned

So is Rayong, where I live, in the "dark red" zone or not? A typical example of TIT-related confusion, I suspect!!

Edited by Non-Immigrant

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

officials say stricter measures may need to be imposed in the next 2 weeks, including a complete lockdown of cities

Hmmm .. not looking good with the economy already knackered when they are now contemplating such measures .. 

• Like 1

Health officials say stricter measures may need to be imposed in the next 2 weeks, including a complete lockdown of cities.

there is a possibility that a lockdown like the one Wuhan imposed may be in the cards.

well you see lockdowns have to happen fast and be total in order to work. talking about something that might happen in two weeks is two weeks way too late.

start welding the doors shut to the HiSo condos now and see what happens. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

if the new infection rate remains high, there is a possibility that a lockdown like the one Wuhan imposed may be in the cards

I hope it's not quite the same as Wuhan.

An Australian-Chinese was on holiday in Wuhan when that happened. She posted a video clip showing the main entrance to an apartment block having the metal doors welded shut to prevent anyone leaving.

edit: NCC our posts were being sent at the same time - so did you see the video clip I just mentioned?

Edited by Bluesofa
Addendum
  • Like 2

disallowing travel, and food and water being delivered to people’s homes says […]

Unbelievable!

Is this an attempt to starve people to death...?

• Like 3

While this is not good news for the Thai economy in the short run, continued rapid growth in hospitalizations and positive test results may leave authorities with little choice except to take very strong measures to continue to protect citizens and other residents of Thailand.   In the long run, I think swift, decisive actions that focus on the safety and health of Thailand will help bring a faster economic recovery.  Best wishes

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Unbelievable!

Is this an attempt to starve people to death...?

Nothing would surprise me but starving people would take too much time and effort for this crowd 

45 minutes ago, Non-Immigrant said:

The following news item lists the "dark red" zone provinces as being Bangkok, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Samut Sakhon, Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani, Yala, Pattani, Songkhla, Narathiwat, Chon Buri, Chachoengsao and Ayutthaya:

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/tight-restrictions-curfews-in-13-dark-red-provinces-until-august-2

Yet according to the following news item Surin, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Rayong and Ratchaburi should also be included in the "dark red" zone list:

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/transport/lockdown-extending-as-flights-from-dark-red-zones-are-banned

So is Rayong, where I live, in the "dark red" zone or not? A typical example of TIT-related confusion, I suspect!!

I also live in Rayong, and saw the same conflicting stories.  The map on Richard Barrows feed a couple days ago showed only the 13 dark red.  Rayong is still red.

I'm guessing they discussed adding others but when the order was finalized they only added three.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jwd said:

While this is not good news for the Thai economy in the short run, continued rapid growth in hospitalizations and positive test results may leave authorities with little choice except to take very strong measures to continue to protect citizens and other residents of Thailand.   In the long run, I think swift, decisive actions that focus on the safety and health of Thailand will help bring a faster economic recovery.  Best wishes

While I certainly agree with you, fact is it would be devastating to the economy both short term and long. The effects of multiple lockdowns isn’t linear, it’s exponential. Still I see no other alternative. This current wave is already out of control. 

• Like 1

Why wait they should have done this already a long time ago, but they let it become more worse because they only thinking about money... if they have done it before not so many infection had been now and it was probably already a lot lower always waiting in the last possible moment... plain stupid close it down if people do not understand, then educate them.  Daily dozens die, because of the greediness

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

well you see lockdowns have to happen fast and be total in order to work. talking about something that might happen in two weeks is two weeks way too late.

start welding the doors shut to the HiSo condos now and see what happens. 

NCC1701A in the house? Been a real revelation of a day. 

Welding the doors shut is a great idea starting on the ruling party in Parliament member Abodes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds worse than they let it up to be. Time for me to go out and buy some alcohol reserve tomorrow. These fools and their greed and control deserve everything and more the good thai people want to give and do with them. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

NCC1701A in the house? Been a real revelation of a day. 

i'm coming up so you better get this party started. 

52 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

There ya go thinking about something Pink again. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Thai Pm-"The roof-the roof-the roof is on fire--we dont need no water let the MF burn--burn MF--burn"

The number of new cases is increasing by about 10% per day. At that rate the number of new cases will double in about one week. So expect to see 20,000 new cases a day in about one week. And 40,000 cases a day a week after that (two weeks from now). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bangkok_Gary said:

The number of new cases is increasing by about 10% per day. At that rate the number of new cases will double in about one week. So expect to see 20,000 new cases a day in about one week. And 40,000 cases a day a week after that (two weeks from now). 

Well guess as the law didn't stop the protestors on Sunday they will hope that by maximising covid cases by not vaccinating the majority will do the trick perhaps.

With very few vaccinations and no signs of a mass vaccination programs on the horizon thailands government have just handed the keys of thailand to the virus,while they sit around dishing out promises and lies lockdowns and restrictions will only slow the infections not stop it [maybe that's not crossed their minds yet],i agree seeing 20 to 30K infections  by end of august .

Edited by stuhan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, stuhan said:

With very few vaccinations and no signs of a mass vaccination programs on the horizon thailands government have just handed the keys of thailand to the virus,while they sit around dishing out promises and lies lockdowns and restrictions will only slow the infections not stop it [maybe that's not crossed their minds yet]

I think it has crossed their minds a long time ago, they are just disappointed it took so long maybe

Nearly a month or two months ago the Prime Minister joked that in some countries you have to share a bed (most likely deriding India’s recent wave) as he toured a field hospital. 

Now you have people camped outside hospitals seeking treatment, people dying inside their homes because there are no more beds, hospitals refusing to tests because they too ran out of beds and sadly not enough vaccines, government has for every single day missed its vaccination targets. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, stuhan said:

while they sit around dishing out promises and lies lockdowns and restrictions will only slow the infections not stop it [maybe that's not crossed their minds yet]

They still claim they can vaccinate 10 million people a month while they failed daily vaccination targets since they started to hand out vaccines. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bangkok_Gary said:

The number of new cases is increasing by about 10% per day

cases increasing due to testing area also increasing, not that it really is getting worse? And more importantly, are there any other real differences as there is a big difference of someone dyeing from- or with C19, remember that. 

Also another very important issue, in a country as Thailand where there are so many poor people that has been living on ,close to, nothing for a long time...why isn't anyone thinking of them?! As poverty, diabetes and other health related issues [not inc. C19] are well worse than the current "situation"?
BTW driving an German car, living in Sathorn/Ari/ or similar and having several maxed out credit cards does not make you any different [when it comes down to the real numbers] only gives you a bit more time.

• Like 1