60 day Covid extension application scheme extended to Dec 31st 2021.

The Thai cabinet 2 days ago approved an extension to the existing orders permitting aliens to apply for further Covid extensions until Dec 31st 2021. The below draft is translated into English.

The original in Thai language: https://www.thaigov.go.th/news/contents/details/48308

3. Re: Draft Notification of the Ministry of Interior Re: Permission for Certain Classes of Aliens to Stay in the Kingdom as a Special Case (No. ..) The
Cabinet has approved the draft announcement of the Ministry of Interior. Re: Permission for certain classes of aliens to stay in the Kingdom as a special case (No. The National Security Council to consider further proceedings.
In this regard, the draft announcement proposed by the National Police Agency is to amend and mitigate the impacts on foreigners who have been granted temporary stay in the Kingdom according to the type of visa. (including visa on arrival) aliens who have been granted visa exemption rights and aliens who are entitled under other relevant laws which has been affected by the epidemic situation of the coronavirus disease 2019, to be granted an extension of the period of permission to stay in the Kingdom and to notify further residence From the effective date of this notification until December 31, 2021, which is in accordance with the resolution of the Cabinet (3 August 2021), which requires agencies that are responsible for issuing licenses or receiving notifications to amend the relevant secondary laws. To mitigate the impact of people in contacting government agencies to obtain permission from government agencies due to the epidemic situation of the coronavirus disease 2019, the essence of the draft announcement
                   1. Extend the period of permission to stay in the Kingdom of aliens as follows:  
                             (1) An alien who has been granted permission to temporarily stay in the Kingdom under the type of visa (including visa on arrival)  
                             (2) an alien who is permitted to stay in the Kingdom temporarily under the right of visa exemption under Article 13 of the Ministerial Regulation prescribing rules, procedures and conditions for Examination, Exemption and Change of Visa Types, B.E. 2545 and its amendments  
(3) an alien who has been granted permission to temporarily stay in the Kingdom who has been granted rights under the Petroleum Act B.E. 2514 and its amendments; Investment Promotion Act, B.E. 2520 and its amendments and the Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand Act, B.E. 2522 and its amendments or according to the notification of the Ministry of Interior concerned The period of permission to stay in the Kingdom of the said alien will expire from the effective date of this notification. by extending the period of permission to stay in the Kingdom from the effective date of this notification until December 31, 2021  
2. Extend the period of notification of residence under Section 37 (5) of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 or the relevant notification of the Ministry of Interior for aliens who have been granted permission to stay in the Kingdom for more than 90 days. Determine the period for notification of residence From the effective date of this notification until December 31, 2021  
3. The Immigration Office shall announce the time limit for aliens to proceed under Section 35 and Section 37 (5) of the Immigration Act B.E. . 1979, including other relevant laws to be completed Between 1 – 31 December 2021

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

thank you so much for the prompt notification, the link to the original, and the English translation.
What do you mean when you mention Jan 31st 2022?

(1) Do you mean that even if one goes on (theoretically) Dec 31st 2021 the end of the permission to stay would be Jan 31st, hence only one month instead of the usual 60 days?
(2) Or do you mean that you heard that one could apply for the 60 days up to Jan 31st? 

Thank you , kind regards!

On 11/19/2021 at 12:24 PM, gavi said:

(1) Do you mean that even if one goes on (theoretically) Dec 31st 2021 the end of the permission to stay would be Jan 31st, hence only one month instead of the usual 60 days?

No, it states Immigration will make a formal announcement between Dec 1st - 31st, which I expect to state applications will be accepted up until Jan 31st.
They continually push the date forward by 2 months at a time.

• Thanks 2

hi Faz

the current deadline is November 26. I think they should notify before that date if it continues or not... but according to the draft, they will notify it in December.

What do you think, Faz?

31 minutes ago, Seba34e said:

hi Faz

the current deadline is November 26. I think they should notify before that date if it continues or not... but according to the draft, they will notify it in December.

What do you think, Faz?

The current deadline is Nov 30th.

What they should do and what they actually do are two different things.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Yes... that's true. Haha... I have a 30 days extension tourist visa, until january 4th 2022. I am waiting for a covid visa extension, so can in go to the immigration office the early days of the next year, request covid visa and get time to stay 60 more days... thats is my idea. I dont know...  

42 minutes ago, Seba34e said:

Yes... that's true. Haha... I have a 30 days extension tourist visa, until january 4th 2022. I am waiting for a covid visa extension, so can in go to the immigration office the early days of the next year, request covid visa and get time to stay 60 more days... thats is my idea. I dont know...  

Immigration will be closed from Fri 31st 2021 to Tues Jan 4th 2022.

I'd apply for the 60 day Covid extension week commencing Mon Dec 27th, or the week before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Faz for your information regarding the closing dates. On Thursday (25/11) I will go to the immigration office in Phuket Town and ask if they are going to extend the covid visa and until when. If there is no a favorable response, I will request the extension right there, which I understand that they will grant me until January 25 (60 days from the date of the request)...

Hi... do you have another extra info?? As per a new post in The thaiger next friday is the deadline. https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/visa/deadline-on-friday-to-apply-for-60-day-covid-visa-extension 

The information is confused. I didn't found an official declaration. Tomorrow I will go to immigration office in Phuket town to see what happen... I'll be back with news.

• Thanks 1

Bangkok immigration office, personal experience, UPDATE:

I post briefly, just to update about Bangkok short-term visa office, "counter K".

I went to extend a tourist visa (on arrival) deadline of Jan 3rd. I went 45 days before the deadline, as usual.

This time, they made me come back the day after, even though, in the past, 45 days before was always fine.

I encountered a lot of resistance this time: they tried hard to make me go home empty handed.

in the past, they asked for the embassy letter only once, at the beginning of the pandemic, early 2020, but now they started to ask for it again. I insisted that, in the past, one time, the embassy letter was given to them, and that for many months now they were not asking for it: it worked, but it required  a lot of pushing and they said that, the next time, without the embassy letter, they will not extend any more. But I think it really comes down to which person one talks to.

When talking to new immigration officers, or to the (junior?) officers who work on Saturdays, it gets much more difficult than when one can talk to the same officers who approved the extension to us many times before. So avoid going on Saturdays, I would say. 

They gave 60 days from the end of the last extension period.

I also want to mention that many restaurant owners told me that, from some countries, such as Italy, one is now forbidden to travel to Thailand with a tourist visa(!). So if one can do the retirement visa or other visa type, it is better to do so now rather than relying on covid extensions of tourist visas.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I went to the phuket town office last week to extend my 30 days tourist visa and I have a good experience. They explained my situation, they asked me for the necessary documentation, I gave them everything and went home with my visa extension until January 4th 2022. Now I want to request the covid visa for 2 more months (if it's possible)

• Like 1

I am unclear about when a 60 day covid extension begins.

It appears that some are saying it begins from the date of application whereas others are saying they have been able to have it start once their old visa/extension ends (thereby not losing any days)

Can anybody add some clarity, or does it depend on where the extension is issued?

9 minutes ago, Spengler said:

Also, in Chiang Mai, which office would I go to? The one by the airport or the one in Promenade Shopping mall?

Airport .

You will need a TM30 form from your accommodation  

• Like 1

Our tourist 30 days visa extension expires on January 4, 2022. Last Thursday I went to the office in Phuket Town and the IO told us to come back at the end of December to process that covid visa. I understand that it is to obtain more days (from the date of issued it is 60 days). Another important thing that he said is that we must go before (not the same day of the extension) and register the address where we are going to stay. I attach the requirements that they gave us. Any question let me know.

Screenshot_20211128-100459_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, Spengler said:

I am unclear about when a 60 day covid extension begins.

It appears that some are saying it begins from the date of application whereas others are saying they have been able to have it start once their old visa/extension ends (thereby not losing any days)

Can anybody add some clarity, or does it depend on where the extension is issued?

I would go an get an extension three days before your current date expires . 

Sometimes they ask for extra documents which you need to get and sometimes they stop taking extension applications because they are full for the day .

• Like 2

On 11/28/2021 at 10:32 AM, Fluke said:

I would go an get an extension three days before your current date expires . 

Sometimes they ask for extra documents which you need to get and sometimes they stop taking extension applications because they are full for the day .

For anyone who has already done this in Chiang Mai  - what documents have you been asked for? What about the ‘letter from your embassy’?

4 minutes ago, Spengler said:

For anyone who has already done this in Chiang Mai  - what documents have you been asked for? What about the ‘letter from your embassy’?

You just need to fill out the usual visa extension  (I know)  forms which are provided and make photocopies and you need a photograph and a TM30 form which your hotel/guest house should provide and you need to sign an affidavit  stating that your Embassy will not give you a letter from them .

If you need a TM30 , I know a hotel which can provide them 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, and sorry if my questions regarding visa extension might be too obvious. i‘m in BKK now and I already extended my tourist visa (45 days) to additional 30 days. I would like to extend again with the Covid exemption to further 60 days.

now I have some questions as the information I found online were confusing

1, can I apply for a second extension? Or am I not eligible? Or are there Any restrictions e.g., 90 days limit?

2. If I can apply, which concrete documents are required?

3. where can I apply in BKK? Chaengwattana of Muang Thong Thani?

thanks for your help

Edited by PeterBKK2021
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PeterBKK2021 said:

1, can I apply for a second extension? Or am I not eligible? Or are there Any restrictions e.g., 90 days limit?

You can apply for a 60 day Covid extension before Jan 25th.

2. If I can apply, which concrete documents are required?

Completed TM7
Completed Affidavit
Same copies you supplied for the 30 day extension.

3. where can I apply in BKK? Chaengwattana of Muang Thong Thani?

Muang Thong Thani

• Thanks 2

Hi, Good Afternoon.

Are these the Two Immigration offices you mention in posts above?

Thank you

Chaeng Wathana?

spacer.png

Muangthong Thani?

spacer.png

Just another day in Paradise

@Faz:

Thank you.

I just went to the Immigration Center in Muang Thong Thani. The immigration officers didn't want to extend my visa with the Covid extension. There should be a "new policy" being published this week. This might have effects on the extension procedure. Do you know anything about this?

Thank you.