News Forum - South Thailand’s Muslim leaders reject weed, liquor, and same-sex partnerships

Thaiger

South Thailand’s Muslim leaders are rejecting the Kingdom’s growing liberalism on 3 issues. On Thursday (June 23), Muslim representatives from Yala, Narathiwat, Songkhla, Satun, and Pattani provinces, read a statement against 3 draft bills. Those bills were the Cannabis and Hemp Bill, the Progressive Liquor Act, and the Civil Partnership Bill. Thailand’s Cannabis and Hemp Bill allows people to grow cannabis at home, although there is still confusion over some technicalities. Officials have still banned Cannabis use in areas such as schools and military premises. The Progressive Liquor Act will allow Thais to brew and sell their own alcohol. The […]

The story South Thailand’s Muslim leaders reject weed, liquor, and same-sex partnerships as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

Under 5% of the population are muslim. Feel free to enjoy your relgious intolerance, but nobody cares what you think.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

Under 5% of the population are muslim. Feel free to enjoy your relgious intolerance, but nobody cares what you think.

okay, I will;  they are bigoted ideological  kill joys,  that need to leave the 1800s and get with the modern world.   How's that for intolerance? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

Why don't they just stick to trying to manage their own kind in their own twisted so called religion of a non god or son of. They should condemn the open practice of Bacha Bazi by their so loyal muslim brothers and be againts rape of women in the world, and the taking of a drug cocktails that their renegade brainwashed devotees take before creating havoc in the south. Sounds just like an escape goat reason to increase their insurgency in the South.

Life is like a restaurant menu.  Order what you like and/or not the things you don't, or can't, for whatever reason.  Simple.  This is about virtue signaling, and control over the herd, which can't be trusted to comply with tenants on their own.  Actually only a relative minority of them run amok, but everyone's got to be smashed over the head, reminded of who's in charge. 

Cool line in a spy thriller novel I'm reading at the moment.  Senior CIA guy meeting his well-heeled, long-time source for lunch in Cairo - a Muslim, educated, wealthy, high up in the Egyptian security service.  Enjoying multiple glasses of wine over lunch, Egyptian fella says Islam's strict abstinence is only for the nutters and peasants.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow. There is such hate for Muslims/Islam on this Forum.

I have lived in Muslim communities at several points in my life, and it has always been an enjoyable, positive experience. What to say? They eat, drink (yes, at times alcohol) and sleep, just like everyone else. They love their wives and girlfriends, their extended families, their sons and daughters and all their friends, just like everyone else. They laugh, cry, fornicate, sweat, fart, and burp, just like everyone else. Yes, they are a wee bit touchy about their religion, but once they understand that you don't mean offence, they laugh off criticism, just like everyone else. I have found them to be loyal friends, decent people who just want a good life for themselves and their families, and great people to just 'hang' with.

Yes, their religious leaders are a pain in the neck, always going-on as to what they should do, but are they any different from Priests, Rabbis, Buddhist Monks, Shamans, Shinto, Commies, Village Elders, etc? No, they ALL drone on about how others should behave.

Is there violence done in the name of Islam? Yup. Do ordinary Muslims support it? Not in my experience. Do religions generally cause violence? Yup; a brief glance through history shows horrendous actions on the part of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Commies, etc., etc., etc.

Are the South Thailand Muslim Leaders much different from other religious leaders? No, not really. They advocate their religion as they see it, just like everyone else.

They have every right to speak their mind, and their 'flock' may or may not listen to them.

Just like everyone else.

• Like 10

53 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

There is such hate for Muslims/Islam on this Forum.

I don't  hate them, I pity them and at the same time despise their religious doctrine, which is divisive, pollutes minds and is dangerous, oh,  and their bigoted leaders. In fairness, I have no time for any religion, nor their deluded adherents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I have lived in Muslim communities at several points in my life, and it has always been an enjoyable, positive experience. What to say? They eat, drink (yes, at times alcohol) and sleep, just like everyone else. They love their wives and girlfriends, their extended families, their sons and daughters and all their friends, just like everyone else. They laugh, cry, fornicate, sweat, fart, and burp, just like everyone else. Yes, they are a wee bit touchy about their religion, but once they understand that you don't mean offence, they laugh off criticism, just like everyone else. I have found them to be loyal friends, decent people who just want a good life for themselves and their families, and great people to just 'hang' with.

Yes, their religious leaders are a pain in the neck, always going-on as to what they should do, but are they any different from Priests, Rabbis, Buddhist Monks, Shamans, Shinto, Commies, Village Elders, etc? No, they ALL drone on about how others should behave.

Is there violence done in the name of Islam? Yup. Do ordinary Muslims support it? Not in my experience. Do religions generally cause violence? Yup; a brief glance through history shows horrendous actions on the part of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Commies, etc., etc., etc.

Are the South Thailand Muslim Leaders much different from other religious leaders? No, not really. They advocate their religion as they see it, just like everyone else.

They have every right to speak their mind, and their 'flock' may or may not listen to them.

Just like everyone else.

Reflects my experience of living amongst Thai Muslims in Pattaya. No way they can be compared to Islamists. In any case do practising spiritual Buddhists advocate drinking alcohol, taking drugs, various sexual acts etc - don't believe so.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Why don't they just stick to trying to manage their own kind in their own twisted so called religion of a non god or son of. They should condemn the open practice of Bacha Bazi by their so loyal muslim brothers and be againts rape of women in the world, and the taking of a drug cocktails that their renegade brainwashed devotees take before creating havoc in the south. Sounds just like an escape goat reason to increase their insurgency in the South.

Because the 100% tolerance in the west, to this intolerant people/groups, is creating a "we try that everywhere" -attitude now. And , in the future,  they will outnumber every other religion just by fertility. They are majority in around 50 countries already. In the end, there will be just one country, they aren't ruling, me thinks: China! Ok, 2 perhaps, Russia. But that most likely dark times will start far behind my life expectations. 

An unnecessary remark removed.

This is not the place to express your personal desires.

Well, you know what you can also do? Maybe just do what you want to do yourself. If they don't want it, then don't do it, but don't decide for others. 

2 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Do ordinary Muslims support it? Not in my experience.

But they never tell each other.... Hey, maybe we are a bit too strict. Maybe we shouldn't tolerate their violence because now we all get the stereotype of being violent while we are not. 

I think the mistake a lot of westerners make is to tar all Muslims with the same brush, as if there is some kind unified group ideology shared by all of them. My wife is Muslim and even I myself had to (nominally) convert in order to marry her. All of my in-laws are Muslim, and there are a lot of them. Based on my sample group, and looking at cannabis, booze and same sex unions, I would say cannabis is the most tolerated, booze less so and same sex unions not at all. 

My darling wife, who refuses to touch alcohol, has already said she looks forward to trying the various new cannabis products on offer. 

To those who think all Muslims are shaking their collective fists at the loosening regulations and crying jihad, think again, please.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

But they never tell each other.... Hey, maybe we are a bit too strict. Maybe we shouldn't tolerate their violence because now we all get the stereotype of being violent while we are not. 

"Never"?

How would you know about their conversations with each other, worldwide?

And no other religious leader ever told anyone what to do, and all Thai Buddhists follow the five Precepts rigidly...

But hey, never let the truth get in the way of a chance to bash the Muslims.

Spent years living in the Gulf, met far more genuine Arabs than Thais. 

So much bigotry on this forum. 

I was down in Songkhla earlier in the year. It's great, a lovely place. A hardly a long nose in sight ....😝😝😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I don't  hate them, I pity them and at the same time despise their religious doctrine, which is divisive, pollutes minds and is dangerous, oh,  and their bigoted leaders. In fairness, I have no time for any religion, nor their deluded adherents. 

Why do you pity them? You think the ramblings of a "cleric" reflect the opinions of all?

8 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Stick to managing their own kind??

Isn't Thailand the land of the free?

If they want to pass comment on the laws of the country, why can't they?

Can only men comment on laws that affect them?

Can only drivers comment on laws that affect them?

Can only fruit eaters comment on laws that affect them?

Thailand is supposed to be a democracy no? (Junta notwithstanding)

You don't have to listen to them and you're free to ignore them, just as we can all ignore Anutin etc etc, or the local PooYai Bahn. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Why do you pity them? You think the ramblings of a "cleric" reflect the opinions of all?

In the case of this lot, absolutely. No evidence of free will or minds of their own. 😩

They have a right to express a different point of view, just as I have a right to disagree with what they say. Unfortunately, Muslims have acquired an often justified reputation for forcing their religious sensibilities onto others, something that is not acceptable - they are not the only ones, Christian fundamentalists in the US and Hindu nationalists in India are two other contemporary examples that spring to mind, but they are probably the most widespread. 

8 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Just like everyone else.

no reason to like them. Every reason to fear them. You missed out the culture & practice of beheadings, mutilations, crane hangings, child bride rape, murder/ suicides, stoning, women as objects, killing & lying to unbelievers, Koran a “ cut & paste” of earlier texts … large number of violent extremists; the mother load of evil in fact.

Oh and the majority of “ moderates” (who don’t exist according to various poll results) would be irrelevant if they did exist. Did I mention the death penalties for blasphemy & apostasy ? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pinetree said:

And that is different to Christians, Catholics, Jews, Hindus and Buddhists in what way? 

15 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

They have a right to express a different point of view, just as I have a right to disagree with what they say. Unfortunately, Muslims have acquired an often justified reputation for forcing their religious sensibilities onto others, something that is not acceptable - they are not the only ones, Christian fundamentalists in the US and Hindu nationalists in India are two other contemporary examples that spring to mind, but they are probably the most widespread. 

and the most fanatic violent & murderous …..no Christian suicide murderers……