News Forum - “No pants for women, only black shoes for men”. Internet trolls Thai conference dress code

Thaiger

Dress code details for an upcoming scientific event in Bangkok has the internet in a cosmic quandary. International physicists are finding themselves scratching their head over the obscure dress code requirements for the event’s opening day that harken back to the 1950s. The 13th International Particle Accelerator Conference is being held at the Impact exhibition and convention centre on the north side of Bangkok. Over 1,000 delegates and 70 industry exhibits are expected to be at this event. But the scientific minds are being distracted from matters of particle acceleration and quantum physics to dressing “appropriately” for the event. The […]

The story “No pants for women, only black shoes for men”. Internet trolls Thai conference dress code as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Dress style, manner of speech, postures, body type and suchlike can all be distractions from hearing and properly evaluating the one thing that matters (i.e. good ideas). That's silly but - unfortunately - also true. The first aspect is by far the easiest to normalize/regulate, so enforcing a dress code does make sense.

Still, I can't get over the inherent silliness. I hope there will be some men out there that go for a pale color nail polish and a subdued color of lipstick, and some women that decide to wear socks (which qualifies as hosiery) and no facial paintings whatsoever. Hat a sombrero too if the sun is shining bright. Superficial stuff like this shouldn't matter. 

Edited by Chatogaster
typo

it's the same in the UK, when the queen is present there are many things forbidden!

Topless is allowed on our beaches under to gender equality ...

In my business company it is stated that women should wear a bra, it is not equal and then ...

20 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Is Angela Rayner going?

Thanks mate. Thats the best laugh I have had for a long time. 

“No pants for women, only black shoes for men”. 

All very interesting and clearly written by an Americanised author
Americans use the word 'pants' referring to trousers, whilst any Brit will know that 'pants' refer to underwear. Underpants if you will. 
"Gung ken nai". 

As far as I am aware, 'pants', meaning underwear, applies to Australia and all other British English speakers.

But a nice idea

• Haha 2

Pants was assimilated to Japanese also🤣  no pants sounds horny and an American napkin is a menstrual hygiene  pad.  Demanding skirts is ridiculous though in 2022. Ladies suits are perfectly acceptable women business wear in Thailand.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

Dress style, manner of speech, postures, body type and suchlike can all be distractions from hearing and properly evaluating the one thing that matters (i.e. good ideas). That's silly but - unfortunately - also true. The first aspect is by far the easiest to normalize/regulate, so enforcing a dress code does make sense.

Bull, never been to a conference in my life where a dress code other than business casual was not the norm. 

If I was discussing string theory with colleagues then how they were dressed would not distract me in the least unless we were in a bar in Soy Cowboy and some 'guests' came by.