News Forum - 72 year old foreign man fell to death from Pattaya condo

Thaiger

Just to add another possible reason besides suicide. Most balconies in Thailand have barriers that are about 700 or 800 mm high - for the shorter Thai people - and there is little/no policing of building regulations. In Aust it is 1 meter minimum.  If a tall Expat (over 5.10) stands next to a 700 mm railing, it only reaches their thighs.  I remember my first visit to Thailand and walking on the balcony thinking 'wow what a view' and as I put my hands out to grab the rail it wasnt there. Pharrkk me - I sure had a fright.  Now take an old man drinking and losing balance a bit and over they go. It happens - many incidences of accidental falls.  Sadly some are not - but maybe this one was an accident too. Maybe.  Either way RIP.

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2022 at 12:44 AM, Cabra said:

Depression and suicide is a real problem. In the US, older adults make up 12% of the population, but account for 18% of all suicide deaths. That's an alarming statistic. We are all going to get old and likely need help one day. Extend a hand and you might save a life.

“We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.”  Charles Bukowski

Its the painful and violent way some of them go that is disturbing. Why they don't just take a BBQ into their room and go nice and peacefully I'll never know

19 hours ago, Markwick said:

Lol no Pattaya 

you fool Pattaya is there now the only ones demanding it’s open are drunks and old fools

I suggest you read & comprehend properly before calling others a "fool".

get this into your head ... they don’t want mass tourists bums again 

it’s not going to happen it’s now 55 k in Australia bank for oa and ox visa 

scrape up what u have and get to Cambodia 

your cheap days are over .. inflation for key starter... beyond your pay grade 

I suppose this is a generic "you" you're adressing here. I don't stay in Patters.

Even then it is quite an offensive, generalising diatribe.

And all just because you somehow feel superior for having a job on the Eastern seaboard.

The place is not reserved for you and those you deem worthy.

• Cool 1

On 1/9/2022 at 5:39 PM, AussieBob said:

Just to add another possible reason besides suicide. Most balconies in Thailand have barriers that are about 700 or 800 mm high - for the shorter Thai people - and there is little/no policing of building regulations. In Aust it is 1 meter minimum.  If a tall Expat (over 5.10) stands next to a 700 mm railing, it only reaches their thighs.  I remember my first visit to Thailand and walking on the balcony thinking 'wow what a view' and as I put my hands out to grab the rail it wasnt there. Pharrkk me - I sure had a fright.  Now take an old man drinking and losing balance a bit and over they go. It happens - many incidences of accidental falls.  Sadly some are not - but maybe this one was an accident too. Maybe.  Either way RIP.

This same point was made by someone viz the "Pattaya Flying Club" on YouTube. The height of the person would be useful to know.  

The term "disproportionate" is curious. What would be a proportional number of suicides? Versus the Thai population? Or versus the same age population in their home country? 

There's nothing about jumping in Humphrey's Final Exit:

https://archive.org/details/finalexitpractica00hump

4 hours ago, Vince said:

This same point was made by someone viz the "Pattaya Flying Club" on YouTube. The height of the person would be useful to know.  

The term "disproportionate" is curious. What would be a proportional number of suicides? Versus the Thai population? Or versus the same age population in their home country? 

There's nothing about jumping in Humphrey's Final Exit:

https://archive.org/details/finalexitpractica00hump

One example - the rest you will have to find for yourself.  More Australians die in Thailand than any other country in the World. More Aussies Die On Holiday In Thailand Than Any Other Country (vice.com)  Yet Thailand is the 6th most visited country overseas, and there are far more Aussies living fill-time in overseas countries than in Thailand - I think Greece is number one. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2022 at 8:22 PM, Stardust said:

The majority of expats in Chonbury are working in companies. Maybe you have knowledge about Chonbury/ Rayong or never heard of the eastern Corridor and maybe never heard abot BMW, Mitsubishi, etc all the automotive Industry, Energy etc etc. and just about 2000 german Companies Bangkok, Chonbury. Never heard of Bosch, Grimm, Haefele, ABB, etc etc. Many live in or around Pattaya because of real estate and short distances to the industrial/ comercial belt. It is annoying that write something about expats, Chonbury but no nothing about!

The foreign managers and technical staff are not what Pattaya sleazy.  They probably number in the hundreds and have day to day jobs to do. It's those living on minimum pensions or sexpats that make for the sleaze.  Often drunks with limited incomes that seem to have no desire to clean up their images.  They are both undesirable in most cultures. 

Additionally the sleazy bar scene occupies prime real estate that's only waiting to be torn down. 

Back to those foreigners working in Thai industrial estates. Most are well educated professionals that would be welcome anywhere. I'm sure the sleazy is an embarrment to them also. Additional the great majority of Thais view the Pattaya with disgust.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LoongFred said:

The foreign managers and technical staff are not what Pattaya sleazy is about.

They probably number in the hundreds and have day to day jobs to do. It's those living on minimum pensions or sexpats that make for the sleaze.  Often drunks with limited incomes that seem to have no desire to clean up their images.  They are both undesirable in most cultures. 

Additionally the sleazy bar scene occupies prime real estate that's only waiting to be torn down. 

Back to those foreigners working in Thai industrial estates. Most are well educated professionals that would be welcome anywhere. I'm sure the sleazy is an embarrment to them also. Additional the great majority of Thais view the Pattaya with disgust.

4 hours ago, AussieBob said:

One example - the rest you will have to find for yourself.  More Australians die in Thailand than any other country in the World. More Aussies Die On Holiday In Thailand Than Any Other Country (vice.com)  Yet Thailand is the 6th most visited country overseas, and there are far more Aussies living fill-time in overseas countries than in Thailand - I think Greece is number one. 

Die from what? Traffic fatalities are a leading cause of death - do they fall off motorbikes? 

The Pattaya Flying Club hypothesis is suicide or accidents - do Aussies "come to die" or simply drunkenly fall off low railed balconies during sex? 

Maybe the other countries attract a more sober & cautious Aussie who sits on a bus and goes to museums? 

Sorry didn't see link to https://www.vice.com/en/article/8x877b/more-aussies-die-on-holiday-in-thailand-than-any-other-country

Reading now. 

Edited by Vince
Vice link

On 1/10/2022 at 12:09 PM, notpoor said:

who cares what uppity Thais or prudes like you want? good luck trying to stop the "scum" from coming here, they'll get in despite the rantings and ravings of you Khun Ying wannabes 🤣

Last I looked it was mostly already stoppped

your behind the curve old mate 

8 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Natural death comes into it 

and you saying these guys didn’t jump 

give me a break look at there homes 

they were bums , no decent money look at palace they lived in 

end of the road for broke drunks lost at there last drinking holes 

every pub on planet has one guy drinking himself to death , Pattaya has thousands of pubs 

no sympathy I’ve been knocked down I got up 

we all have had bad stories 90 percent of this lot choose this life all on there own 

5 hours ago, Markwick said:

every pub on planet has one guy drinking himself to death , Pattaya has thousands of pubs 

we all have had bad stories 90 percent of this lot choose this life all on there own 

I don't know why I found this post ironic but I did.  😀

If I were going to call someone "bums" I would probably know how to use "their" properly.

That's just me, I have a bit of an ego, so I would want to make sure I am grammatically correct when disparaging others.

I will give you a pass for misspelling "place" though.

"Palace" could have been autocorrect.

But I'm going to be a stickler for "there " because you used it wrong twice.

Sorry......

Some might even say something like:

"Learn the proper use of "their", ya bum!"  5555

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I have a bit of an ego

Why don't you try responding to him in his native language? Then we'll see how you do? He's expressing his opinion about hard luck cases. I don't fault him for that. That's one of the funny thing about Ego. Ego likes to feed on other's misfortune so as to give sustenance to its' owner's inflated sense of self worth. Not referring to you in this instance marc

Butwhatthehelldoiknow

1 hour ago, Raugh said:

Why don't you try responding to him in his native language? Then we'll see how you do? He's expressing his opinion about hard luck cases. I don't fault him for that. That's one of the funny thing about Ego. Ego likes to feed on other's misfortune so as to give sustenance to its' owner's inflated sense of self worth. Not referring to you in this instance marc

Butwhatthehelldoiknow

He wrote his disparaging remarks in perfect English, I would say. Kudos to him!

Except for the fact he doesn't know the proper use of the word "their ".

My point still stands.

If I were going to call people "bums' I would make sure I do so in a grammatically correct manner.   😀

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I don't know why I found this post ironic but I did.  😀

If I were going to call someone "bums" I would probably know how to use "their" properly.

That's just me, I have a bit of an ego, so I would want to make sure I am grammatically correct when disparaging others.

I will give you a pass for misspelling "place" though.

"Palace" could have been autocorrect.

But I'm going to be a stickler for "there " because you used it wrong twice.

Sorry......

Some might even say something like:

"Learn the proper use of "their", ya bum!"  5555

If you need to impress these posters and feel special knock yourself out , I’m sure your number 1 man at your local 7/11

By your response it’s clear as mudd I hit raw nerve.... not good at finance  I see 

well you can always read the word bum 

pat on the back for u sir well done , big day ahead !

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Markwick said:

If you need to impress these posters and feel special knock yourself out , I’m sure your number 1 man at your local 7/11

By your response it’s clear as mudd I hit raw nerve.... not good at finance  I see 

well you can always read the word bum 

pat on the back for u sir well done , big day ahead !

No I was just making fun of you for being a dick.

Don't read too much into it, it was just that.

Consider me like the Robin Hood of miserable Thai forums.

When someone is being a dick, I  find their(not there)  mistakes and make fun of them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Markwick said:

I hear you mate - BUT - and it is a big but.  What if it was an accident.  How do you feel now??  Yes you may well be right - but you may well also be very very wrong. 

My point is that Thai building codes are khrapp and never enforced. Balconies are dangerous in Thailand and IF he did fall, it is because of that fact. My other point about deaths overseas is that Thailand is a very dangerous place to live/visit, for that and many many other reasons. 

PS - more Aussie deadbeats go to Bali than Thailand - that is why Indonesia has a lot of Aussies there. But the death rate of Aussies between the 2 countries is huge - Thailand wins by a mile.

23 hours ago, LoongFred said:

The foreign managers and technical staff are not what Pattaya sleazy.  They probably number in the hundreds and have day to day jobs to do. It's those living on minimum pensions or sexpats that make for the sleaze.  Often drunks with limited incomes that seem to have no desire to clean up their images.  They are both undesirable in most cultures. 

The main reason for people who working in multi national companies to live around or in Pattaya is the real estate offers, short distances to the companies including Bangkok and for the families important the best international schools of Thailand are in Pattaya.

3 minutes ago, Stardust said:

The main reason for people who working in multi national companies to live around or in Pattaya is the real estate offers, short distances to the companies including Bangkok and for the families important the best international schools of Thailand are in Pattaya.

Isn't it because there are many companies down in Rayong area and south of Pattaya?

I know there are a decent amount of Japanese companies down there

My niece's bf is currently down there interning as an engineer 

8 minutes ago, Stardust said:

What I am shocked there are some even claiming living several years in Pattaya but don't know anything about Chonbury. They don't that this area is the main industrial/ economic center of whole Thailand, also they dont know that the BMW, minicooper, Mitsubishi etc etc are produced there. Living several years there but know nothing about the area is quite shocking but then even claim they something about expats in the area is really absurd. Why there are many germans with filies because the work for BMW or many other big German companies there and for sure not because of the entertainment or retired!

18 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Isn't it because there are many companies down in Rayong area and south of Pattaya?

I know there are a decent amount of Japanese companies down there

My niece's bf is currently down there interning as an engineer 

Exactly also many big japanese companies and car producers/ automotive suppliers.

2 hours ago, Stardust said:

What I am shocked there are some even claiming living several years in Pattaya but don't know anything about Chonbury. They don't that this area is the main industrial/ economic center of whole Thailand, also they dont know that the BMW, minicooper, Mitsubishi etc etc are produced there. Living several years there but know nothing about the area is quite shocking but then even claim they something about expats in the area is really absurd. Why there are many germans with filies because the work for BMW or many other big German companies there and for sure not because of the entertainment or retired!

Many equals how many? A few hundred maybe. Ďoubt if they're into the Pattaya sleaze. 

13 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Many equals how many? A few hundred maybe. Ďoubt if they're into the Pattaya sleaze. 

You really have zero knowledge about Chonbury and never was inside in a company in that area otherwise you would know how many foreigners are in these companies. By the way including Bangkok a total of 2000 German companies only. Again it shows me your zero knowledge about Thailand. But the absurdity is you want to explain the people something about Thailand and often also about Thais without understand Thai.

• Cool 1

2 hours ago, Stardust said:

You really have zero knowledge about Chonbury and never was inside in a company in that area otherwise you would know how many foreigners are in these companies. By the way including Bangkok a total of 2000 German companies only. Again it shows me your zero knowledge about Thailand. But the absurdity is you want to explain the people something about Thailand and often also about Thais without understand Thai.

But surly none of them you see in the day time on the beaches or tourist epicentres of Pattaya.

23 hours ago, AussieBob said:

I hear you mate - BUT - and it is a big but.  What if it was an accident.  How do you feel now??  Yes you may well be right - but you may well also be very very wrong. 

My point is that Thai building codes are khrapp and never enforced. Balconies are dangerous in Thailand and IF he did fall, it is because of that fact. My other point about deaths overseas is that Thailand is a very dangerous place to live/visit, for that and many many other reasons. 

PS - more Aussie deadbeats go to Bali than Thailand - that is why Indonesia has a lot of Aussies there. But the death rate of Aussies between the 2 countries is huge - Thailand wins by a mile.

He opened window bob it was very high over the .... yes I’ll say it again window 

I know it’s a long day with conspiracy theories but it’s not true they were accidental 

one had box cutter marks etc

you defend it because your mindset is not far behind,blokes going to Thailand broke is a dime a dozen and Thai have had enough 

55 k now for oa visa not 40 

insurance up bob it’s a good thing to stop all this , there is pages on pages we’re you say it’s all to hard and expensive 

correct for u not me