T20 Cricket World Cup

Smithydog

The Kiwis have won by 52 runs which should give them a good net run rate boost, making it that one more step harder for India to qualify for the semis.

New Zealand now in second place on the table and will face off against Afghanistan in their last game. If NZ wins, India is gone. If Afghanistan wins then it will likely come down to net run rate and throw it back open for India.

29 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

New Zealand now in second place on the table and will face off against Afghanistan in their last game. If NZ wins, India is gone. If Afghanistan wins then it will likely come down to net run rate and throw it back open for India.

NRR won’t be a problem for India, in fact I think they’ll end up with the best NRR in the group, just down in 3rd place 😁. I think the Kiwis will beat Afghanistan, but if they don’t, the cat is well and truly among the pigeons in this group…

Games tonight will finalise Group 1. With the Australia vs West Indies game, the first one up, South Africa will know exactly what they will have to do to qualify in their later match against England. The likely scenarios are:

Australia and South Africa both win, or both lose – net run rate will decide.

One or the other sides win and the other loses - Winning side qualifies on points.

For Australia, it is simple. Win and win well and unlikely South Africa can qualify against the might of England. (An inning of the brilliance of De Villiers would be needed and I just don’t see that in this squad). Get the win and worry about the rest later.

With Australia leading on net run rate, a win by them, with a boost in net run rate will just add to the pressure that South Africa will be under. See it likely that is South Africa won the toss, they would opt to bowl first and try and restrict England with their bowling strength. Then hope their inexperienced batting line up can do the job and chase down the runs in the overs needed to overcome.

Tipping Australia and England to win their respective games and hence qualify for the semis.

17 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Namibia giving it a real shake against the Kiwis… good stuff lads!

Aussies and Poms my picks but both opposing teams have nasty big fangs and claws. Could be some fireworks today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mickkotlarski said:

Aussies and Poms my picks but both opposing teams have nasty big fangs and claws. Could be some fireworks today.

Windies been very disappointing in this competition. Usually you get fireworks from them.

Can only see Aus and England winning but SA might put up a stern fight.

9 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Windies been very disappointing in this competition. Usually you get fireworks from them.

Can only see Aus and England winning but SA might put up a stern fight.

Yep! That's how I see it RS. I think the Poms are in hot form and the confidence level is sky high. Be a really good game as South Africa still has a chance and will fight for dear tournament life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mickkotlarski said:

Yep! That's how I see it RS. I think the Poms are in hot form and the confidence level is sky high. Be a really good game as South Africa still has a chance and will fight for dear tournament life.

Think their bowlers are up to it and can present challenges. Just not so convinced on the SA batters, especially when under pressure. 

That first up win for Australia over SA looks like proving a real winner.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I never understood the game, whereas baseball is a high skilled game. Go Atlanta 2021 world Champs.

Perhaps this thread is not for you then. 😄

• Like 1

Looking at Group 2, If New Zealand can beat Afghanistan tomorrow, then they will qualify in second place and send both Afghanistan and India home in one stroke. Pakistan have already qualified.

A win to Afghanistan and I would then say India will firm in favouritism as they face Namibia in their last game. As well as Namibia played to get to the Super 12, it has been a new challenge for them matching with the higher ranked teams. So, a Kiwi loss and a likely India win with a big net run rate gain could then see them jump both New Zealand and Afghanistan into an unlikely second place.

If Afghanistan beats New Zealand, don’t think they will be able to boost their net run sufficiently to hold out India. But I am tipping a Kiwi win tomorrow to settle it quickly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Transam said:

If you don't understand the game, how do you know it's not a high skill game....?  🤔

I will forward some of my troll spray to you, it looks like there will  unfortunately be a Troll infestation on this thread also today.

37 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I never understood the game, whereas baseball is a high skilled game. Go Atlanta 2021 world Champs.

Each to their own. I love both but only actually played cricket in competition. Actually, a few Australian cricketers have also played baseball at times at lower levels and credit their short throwing skills to the game. In fact a Mike Young, a former minor league player is well known for his coaching skills in the field and has done so with cricket a lot over the years. A few Australian cricketers have also played baseball at times and share a love of the game as well.

http://thecricketcouch.com/couch-talk/transcript-couch-talk-with-mike-young/

Both games have skill and tactics. Both use bats made out of wood. Both balls can move in the air (curve vs swing) and at high speed with the force just generated in different styles. One difference is the ball can also move off the pitch in cricket as well and at vastly different heights to cause issues. The cricket ball is also harder and heavier than a baseball, but both sting when they hit you!

The fielding in both can have spectacular catches. This is despite baseballers using a mitt and cricketers only their hands. Just different styles really. Run outs in cricket and being thrown out at base are also not that different, except the batter carries his bat with him/her (yes there is a strong ladies version as well) unlike baseball where the batter tosses the bat away to concentrate on the running.

With T20, the shortest version of the game, it is comparable in playing time to a MLB game at 3 hours. I know a lot of my American friends don't like the longer versions but do like the short T20 game.

So quite a lot of the same really and both are great and historical games. You have to be a bit mad in both, I feel, with the ball coming at you at such high speeds!

I don't really follow a set team. Probably the Giants from San Francisco would be my team, but only because my dad was there for a period of time and I followed the 49ers in the NFL from there in the past. 

Well done to your team the Braves. That is the other difference, we don't consider the champions of the national competition "world champs" even if the best players are there. We prefer to retain that title for country vs country competition!

• Like 2

I enjoy baseball baseball too and in fact started the MLB Play-Offs thread in this forum.

Not wishing to turn this topic into a baseball vs cricket discussion, I would say that the skill level is the same. Neither is superior to the other.

One difference is this: in baseball, it is possible to have a two-man team at the elite level, in cricket, it is impossible.

Case study #1:

Randy Johnson in his prime plus Ichiro Suzuki and 7 guys from down the pub vs. Atlanta Braves —> RJ’s team could win.

Case Study #2

Sachin Tendulkar and Dennis Lillee in their prime plus nine guys from down the pub vs. England (current) —> England wins every time.

West Indies smashed Hazelwood in second over to be 30/0 after 2. But Cummins grabbed the wicket of Gayle and Hazelwood struck back with 2 quick wickets to have the West Indies down to 37/3 after 4 overs.

Australia won the toss and decided to field.

• Like 1

Ozzies doing well  against WI so far. Would be great to have a final Eng v Aust. The worlds greatest foes on the cricket pitch. T20 finals and then the Ashes, what more can you wish for ? Unless of course you are one of those unfortunates who is unable to comprehend the skill, tactics and sporting challenges of the worlds 2nd greatest game.

4 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

A match tailor-made for England, who always do well in situations where the opposition must attack but they have no such need. SA to crumble, Aussies through.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gummy said:

the worlds 2nd greatest game.

Ah, you put Aussie Rules ahead in first too...ha ha 😀

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Ah, you put Aussie Rules ahead in first too...ha ha 😀

29 minutes ago, gummy said:

Don't be silly conkers mate 😂

As an x Aussie rules half forward flanker I put the cricket above all others. Sorry to any folk that are trapeze performers but the cricket is the greatest show on earth.

Just now, mickkotlarski said:

As an x Aussie rules half forward flanker I put the cricket above all others. Sorry to any folk that are trapeze performers but the cricket is the greatest show on earth.

God you know have me fantasising about the physical agility of trapeze artists. Off for the tissues 😉

32 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

A match tailor-made for England, who always do well in situations where the opposition must attack but they have no such need. SA to crumble, Aussies through.

Ahhh. My mates back. This will be the second of 2 really good games. The grunt in the England South Africa game will be worth a watch. Meanwhile windies 5-92. Cracking game that may come down to one ball.

Enjoy BH. Always good to hear from you.

Still difficult to imagine us sitting in front of a wide screen while dogs fetch our slippers. I'd say we both still pack a good punch.

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, gummy said:

Ozzies doing well  against WI so far. Would be great to have a final Eng v Aust. The worlds greatest foes on the cricket pitch. T20 finals and then the Ashes, what more can you wish for ? Unless of course you are one of those unfortunates who is unable to comprehend the skill, tactics and sporting challenges of the worlds 2nd greatest game.

My dearest Gummy I finally found a micro chink in your armour ...GREATEST game.

8 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

My dearest Gummy I finally found a micro chink in your armour ...GREATEST game.

I have got many chinks. If you look at Tiktok you will find many on there to, lovely ladies 😉

32 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

As an x Aussie rules half forward flanker I put the cricket above all others.

Half forward flanker… no idea what that entails. Similar to a wing back in football? So you are a Ben Chilwell type player? Decent… I do recall two inebriated chaps in a bar in Alice Springs in 1998 trying to recruit me as a “ruck man” for their club game, whatever that means.

• Haha 1