English Premier League Last Person Standing 2021/22

BigHewer

3 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

We’ve had input from @Faz, @Slacker77and @King Cottonon possible format changes. Anyone else? I think there would need to be a consensus before introducing a change. 

Maybe run through another cycle and then repost the proposed changes and see if any of the options get wide support.

Personally I think it's as broad as it's long, why complicate the way it is being run at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Morning, @Dedinbed!  My 'Sad' reaction only reflects the fact that, under the '10-clubs each' rule that my son and I play by, Wolves are one of his, whilst The Toffees are one of mine . . . a rule that occasionally gives us a wee slap on the chops 🙀!

No worries K C .. I only ever try and add a little zest .. personally i remember both clubs from headier past days .. Wolves are a big club in the Midlands alongside the Villa and Everton I remember going toe to toe with Liverpool during the 80's under Howard Kendall , winning the title twice .. 

• Cool 1

18 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

With Nuno gone, I feel so much better today.

Interesting that Nuno was given a two year contract, and now Conte, who is undoubtedly a class manager, is only being offered 18 months. Both contract expiries would coincide the expiry of Poch's current term with PSG. Does anyone else think that maybe Daniel Levy recognises the big mistake he made in sacking Poch?

Yea I'm surprised at the reported length of deal for the reported fave for the job .. if it happens then a few of the squad can expect a rocket up the derriere as Conte has a reputation for ruffling feathers .. Diego Costa found that out at Chelsea .. He comes with provenance though , a win rate of 67% at Chelski is bettered only by Pep' in the P L ..  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Good morning, @JohninDubin!  I understood earlier that you'd liaise with @BigHewerfor his considered view on the rules issue, having already seen the @Faz'3-lives' proposal and my 'Victims once only' idea.

Cheers!

KC

Good Morning to you. I leave all final decisions to @BigHewer in order to avoid any possible conflicts of interests, but I will have my say as well as advise of any impracticalities that may arise from the suggested changes. Now that I no longer have to use Libre, current amendments are not difficult.

I still maintain my objection to having extra lives as it undermines the idea of the bonus points. I would add, as there are so few of us taking part at present, it's not as if those eliminated are likely to spend a long time on the side lines once they pick the wrong team while they wait to re-enter.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

10 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

Wolves chewed up the toffee's to move upto 7th tonight ..  

yes i watched the match last evening and the toffees were a bit lame ,

and that i had to watch just after my swedish team lost too last evening, nightmares all night 🥶

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dedinbed said:

Yea I'm surprised at the reported length of deal for the reported fave for the job .. if it happens then a few of the squad can expect a rocket up the derriere as Conte has a reputation for ruffling feathers .. Diego Costa found that out at Chelsea .. He comes with provenance though , a win rate of 67% at Chelski is bettered only by Pep' in the P L ..  

There needs to be a good degree of discipline within a club. I'll never forget seeing Costa throwing his bib at Jose and thinking at that time, probably Jose, is on their way out of Chelsea. Of course the real problem is that if you have a difficult player, sacking the manager, means his replacement inherits the prob.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Reasons to be cheerful (1) Nuno is gone (2) Conte replaces him.

Conte has the luxury of joining when we have a series of 10 games, that in most other seasons, we might regard as winnable. This is where we find out if it's the players or the tactics that have been at fault.

• Like 2
  • Cool 2

3 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

Conte has the luxury of joining when we have a series of 10 games, that in most other seasons, we might regard as winnable. This is where we find out if it's the players or the tactics that have been at fault.

Clincher may also be financial commitments A C has sought from Spurs as he does like a signing but he has a lot to work with in the meantime .. his first game in charge is Vitesse Arnhem 4/11 in the Europa , then Everton 7/11 before the fortnight international break .. t'will be interesting .. 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

4 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

Levy must be regretting not offloading Kane big time. His miserable face is spreading gloom throughout the team, which given his toe curling little girlie leap when he scores, I'm not too sorry about. He needs dropping.

I'm a Wolves fan and Nuno reached god like status, strange he tanked at Spurs.

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

Levy must be regretting not offloading Kane big time. His miserable face is spreading gloom throughout the team, which given his toe curling little girlie leap when he scores, I'm not too sorry about. He needs dropping.

As I've said frequently elsewhere, Kane is only as good as the service he gets. Let's see what happens when he has a manager that knows about attacking football, as well as defending.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

8 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

Lot of chatter Unai Emery is being woo'ed to take over the Toon .. 

Good morning Mr D!      Emery's18-mth big fail at Arsenal more than gets my head head-a-shaking. I can only surmise that talks with stronger candidates may be faltering, due to terms or whatever. Not a good sign for the Toon and for their supporters especially, who I suspect will also be shaking their heads at this 'chatter'.

8 hours ago, Benroon said:

Fair comment, @Benroon!   With the likes of Kane and Nuno doing their rapido 'heroes to zeros' makeovers, the beautiful game is becoming the poison chalice and often down to not timing those big decisions, almost to the day.

5 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Good morning Mr D!      Emery's18-mth big fail at Arsenal more than gets my head head-a-shaking. I can only surmise that talks with stronger candidates may be faltering, due to terms or whatever. Not a good sign for the Toon and for their supporters especially, who I suspect will also be shaking their heads at this 'chatter'.

All part of the theatre that is the Prem' sometimes K C .. in fairness to U E he got a rough deal at Arsenal in part due to the way the media circus got on his case about results and his faltering English in defending the tactics to them .. he has redeemed himself though with Villareal winning the Europa last season against M U .. but all that said it would be a strange choice given the favourable position Newcastle are now in after the take over .. they need someone fairly rapido though as on current form they are going down .. 

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, Dedinbed said:

All part of the theatre that is the Prem' sometimes K C .. in fairness to U E he got a rough deal at Arsenal in part due to the way the media circus got on his case about results and his faltering English in defending the tactics to them .. he has redeemed himself though with Villareal winning the Europa last season against M U .. but all that said it would be a strange choice given the favourable position Newcastle are now in after the take over .. they need someone fairly rapido though as on current form they are going down .. 

According to BBC Emery has turned down Newcastle. So still a chance for the toon to snap up Daniel Farke from Norwich 😁

6 minutes ago, gummy said:

According to BBC Emery has turned down Newcastle. So still a chance for the toon to snap up Daniel Farke from Norwich 😁

Hahaha .. you'd have had points deducted for a low blow for that one Gummy were this a boxing match .. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Hahaha .. you'd have had points deducted for a low blow for that one Gummy were this a boxing match .. 

Fair enough, guess it was a bit unfair to try and hit an opponent ( Farke) who is already out for the count. Shame he is/was a damn good Championship club manager, just  does not have the tactical nounce for the EPL.  Well nor does Ole either but at least he was given the money for his dream players.

1 minute ago, gummy said:

Fair enough, guess it was a bit unfair to try and hit an opponent ( Farke) who is already out for the count. Shame he is/was a damn good Championship club manager, just  does not have the tactical/nouce for the EPL.  Well nor does Ole either but at least he was given the money for his dream players.

I like the guy when he's interviewed and feel for him when he has to face the media after some of the batterings they have taken .. no one likes to see a team humiliated over the course of a season but ultimately the gulf in so many aspects t'wixt the Prem' and the Champ'ship is glaring as Norwich and Watford are again finding out .. You have to think that the time may be approaching when for the sake of the club and D F himself it may be better for them to change the manager if they are to be in with any sort of chance of getting out of the relegation scrap .. 

• Cool 1

2 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

I like the guy when he's interviewed and feel for him when he has to face the media after some of the batterings they have taken .. no one likes to see a team humiliated over the course of a season but ultimately the gulf in so many aspects t'wixt the Prem' and the Champ'ship is glaring as Norwich and Watford are again finding out .. You have to think that the time may be approaching when for the sake of the club and D F himself it may be better for them to change the manager if they are to be in with any sort of chance of getting out of the relegation scrap .. 

Frankly if they go straight down again I wonder if he will have the support of the team. There are already rumours that he is losing it with them. Also they are a club that wants to be self sufficient hence no money for the big stars. My eldest daughter and her husband have been supporters for years but due to covid they simply could no longer afford their season tickets. As she said covid did them a favour because now we will just not bother to go and watch.  Several of their friends are saying the same so if the supporters disappear, and they have always been a well supported club,  then even the championship may be an issue after next year with dropping attendance's and subsequent funding. So will Delia and co sell if they go straight down yet again ? 

1 hour ago, gummy said:

According to BBC Emery has turned down Newcastle.

Yeah word up now is Emery has elected to stay with Villareal .. Eddie Howe is now touted as the next fave though that's probably as much to do with the betting firms bigging it up in order to get folk to have a bet .. personally I can't see it .. 

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Fair enough, guess it was a bit unfair to try and hit an opponent ( Farke) who is already out for the count. Shame he is/was a damn good Championship club manager, just  does not have the tactical nounce for the EPL.  Well nor does Ole either but at least he was given the money for his dream players.

So true, one manager I can't remember said when you get a side promoted out of the championship, you've just signed your sacking letter !

• Haha 1

Howe might be a good “interim” manager. After they build up, go all in for Fonseca or Zidane after the first lull in results. The way this season is going though, I think Tony Pulis is the best option(!)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

If you're a top flight manager with a glowing CV and already on an enormous salary, are you going to put all that on the line for a side in dire straits? limitless cash doesn't always cut it, look at what Villa spent !

At best they will be looking in the B division for their next manager - though Nuno's available and as a Wolves fan that's going to be the best they can hope for. I did hear John Terry was being touted !!! Ye gods !

The recent sheen and hysteria oop north isn't going to last long until the boo boys wake back up...

Neil Warnock is available I hear lolol

• Cool 1