5.7% of foreign residents in Thailand have received a dose of the Covid-19 vaccine

Thaiger

6 hours ago, JamesR said:

If I was pathetic I would be living in Issan in a cheap crappy house in the middle of nowhere with an ex bar girl wife.

Good gawd !!!! Do you never stop posting garbage, getting past a joke, you must lead a hell of a sad boring life.

You clearly have been hurt in the past, please leave it in the past, get on with your life, enjoy it.

Yes i live in the middle of nowhere, not a cheap crappy house, and my wife is not ex bar girl.

She is a highly respected member of the community, school director.

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 7

18 hours ago, Soidog said:

What happened to you? You sound like you have had a very bad experience? Most of the stereotypical tales you are linking to are as a result of people losing their minds when they go to Thailand. I would also say this. I know plenty of guys who have lost a whole lot more than a 2-6 million baht ($60,000-$180,000) house back in their home country when they split up with their misses. Lost the house, car, business and half their pension for the rest of their life. Don’t ever tell me splitting up with a Thai women is expensive compared to western countries.  

No bad experience.

I have just heard so many sob stories in Thailand over the last 30 years and most of the stories sound similar.

Older blokes marries much younger woman from Issan, buys a house and car, he goes to work in and Arab country working on oil production for three months, comes back to Thailand, house, woman and car gone. She is probably with her original husband.

Are you telling me you are pretending to have never heard of such common stories?

One poor old bloke three years ago in Phuket, wife steals his bar, house and car, he hangs himself.

So no, I won't be make those mistakes but it is a great place for long holidays thought. 

Wow, you can actually buy a house for $180,000 in America I am assuming, that must be in an area in the middle of the desert for that price, you could only buy a place to park you car for that here.

17 hours ago, colinneil said:

Good gawd !!!! Do you never stop posting garbage, getting past a joke, you must lead a hell of a sad boring life.

You clearly have been hurt in the past, please leave it in the past, get on with your life, enjoy it.

Yes i live in the middle of nowhere, not a cheap crappy house, and my wife is not ex bar girl.

She is a highly respected member of the community, school director.

"You clearly have been hurt in the past...."

Yes I did fall off my bike once when I was seven, cut knee as well.

19 hours ago, Soidog said:

Go on JamesR, I’ll indulge you as I’m sat here with nothing else to do. 

Why do you think every foreigner can simply jump on a plane and go home? Many of them are home. Thailand is their home.  Many don’t have a house to return to in their country of birth. Many have a full life in Thailand and aren’t just long term holiday makers taking a break from Soi 4. What do you expect them to do? Pay 40,000 baht for a return ticket. Then pay for 8 weeks (average time between vaccine shots) in a hotel at a cost of even 3,000 baht a night (170,000 total). Then return and pay another 50,000 baht for two weeks ASQ or Sandbox. All in thats around 260,000 baht ($7,800) and away from family for best part of 3 months. Madness

I didn't say every foreigner, I said the moaners, if I felt so bad about it I would do something about it and go abroad to get my innculations not sit around moaning about it.

19 hours ago, Faraday said:

Perhaps, for some, it's better than 'bed & breakfast' accommodation, provided by Essex council.

Have you got a hyphenated surname James?

Do you like soul music; you could combine the two...

grin smile GIF

When did you stay in a bed and breakfast paid for by Essex council?

Did you enjoy it?

5 minutes ago, JamesR said:

No bad experience.

I have just heard so many sob stories in Thailand over the last 30 years and most of the stories sound similar.

Older blokes marries much younger woman from Issan, buys a house and car, he goes to work in and Arab country working on oil production for three months, comes back to Thailand, house, woman and car gone. She is probably with her original husband.

Are you telling me you are pretending to have never heard of such common stories?

One poor old bloke three years ago in Phuket, wife steals his bar, house and car, he hangs himself.

So no, I won't be make those mistakes but it is a great place for long holidays thought. 

Wow, you can actually buy a house for $180,000 in America I am assuming, that must be in an area in the middle of the desert for that price, you could only buy a place to park you car for that here.

Yes I’ve heard all of those stories many times and I know many are true. But the headline - “Foreigner meets Thai lady and lives happily for the rest of their life” isn’t one you are going to see. The point is not lost on me though. But if you are a 60 year old guy who comes to Thailand and “falls in lust (I mean love!)” with someone young enough to be your granddaughter then you really only have yourself to blame. Many men I know have met nice respectable women who hold down good jobs and have never worked in a bar, let alone “worked” in a bar. I don’t think it’s just Thailand where a relatively wealthy older man falls for a younger woman and comes off heartbroken and broken. There are serial idiots around however. I knew one guy who has been married three times in Thailand, built three houses, had multiple failed businesses and lost the lot. He went back to Australia in March last year and has no plans to return. 

Seeing Thailand as a long holiday destination and then going home to live your life and earn good money isn’t a bad plan. But that doesn’t make you an expat. That just makes you a long stay tourist. 

As for the $180k house in the States. Yes it’s possible, but it was more a translation of 6 million baht which gets you a nice home in many parts of Thailand. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

I didn’t say you were pathetic only your generalisation of expats in Thailand.

Although, I might have to rethink that after your recent multiple rantings.

I have to reply to other peoples rants, it is only polite.

It is quite funny, though, I am writing two Iphone apps using Xcode and the swift programming language on my apple computer which will take at least six months and so while I am waiting for an app to build I take frequent breaks to read the responses on this blog, I find them quite funny.

I am normally in Phuket doing this for six months of the year but why go to Thailand now when it is so quiet and desolate and there will be nothing to do there?

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes I’ve heard all of those stories many times and I know many are true. But the headline - “Foreigner meets Thai lady and lives happily for the rest of their life” isn’t one you are going to see. The point is not lost on me though. But if you are a 60 year old guy who comes to Thailand and “falls in lust (I mean love!)” with someone young enough to be your granddaughter then you really only have yourself to blame. Many men I know have met nice respectable women who hold down good jobs and have never worked in a bar, let alone “worked” in a bar. I don’t think it’s just Thailand where a relatively wealthy older man falls for a younger woman and comes off heartbroken and broken. There are serial idiots around however. I knew one guy who has been married three times in Thailand, built three houses, had multiple failed businesses and lost the lot. He went back to Australia in March last year and has no plans to return. 

Seeing Thailand as a long holiday destination and then going home to live your life and earn good money isn’t a bad plan. But that doesn’t make you an expat. That just makes you a long stay tourist. 

As for the $180k house in the States. Yes it’s possible, but it was more a translation of 6 million baht which gets you a nice home in many parts of Thailand. 

Yes I have come across some farangs married to decent Thai women.

But for some reason a lot of farangs only hang around with other farangs who have young wives and they are actually convinced it is normal for young women to fancy old men in Thailand, it is not true of course but they really believe it as they only mix with that type of people, I avoid them like the plague.

I am not sure what an expat is in Thailand, I do not know any farang with permanent residency, all the ones I have ever met have to get a work permit visa, or an old bloke retirement visa every single year and in normal times have to go and report every three months so basically most farangs are just slightly longer tourists than me.

I don't return to the UK to work as I can do that anywhere from my computer but after six months I want to do something different, and the saying goes, 'always leave the party while you are still having fun'.

And in Phuket there are so many different tourists having fun it is a nice place to be as most people are enjoying themselves so that makes it fun for the rest of us.

I have visited some friends living in quiet areas of the country with nothing to do for miles, the highlight of the day is sitting in the run down village restaurant/bar for a few beers, boring, I only manage to last two days in those places. 

33 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I didn't say every foreigner, I said the moaners, if I felt so bad about it I would do something about it and go abroad to get my innculations not sit around moaning about it.

Well you would if you could afford to spend $7,000-$8,000? If not you could either sit in silence or have a good moan to likeminded people. It’s fun to moan?

41 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Well you would if you could afford to spend $7,000-$8,000? If not you could either sit in silence or have a good moan to likeminded people. It’s fun to moan?

I like taking the piss out of farang moaners. LOL

• Like 1

confused the simpsons GIF

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

have to reply to other peoples rants, it is only polite.

It is quite funny, though, I am writing two Iphone apps using Xcode and the swift programming language on my apple computer

Yes mate, course you are.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Faraday said:

confused the simpsons GIF

Yes mate, course you are.

I am surprised you think such an easy thing is impossible, now if I had said I was a brain surgeon, or a rocket scientist then I can imagine you would say what you said.

Maybe something like writing apps to you is unbelievable, if only you had bothered to go to university etc it might not seem that way. 

I was a freelance software engineer for 30 years so things like writing apps is simple. 

2 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I am surprised you think such an easy thing is impossible, now if I had said I was a brain surgeon, or a rocket scientist then I can imagine you would say what you said.

Maybe something like writing apps to you is unbelievable, if only you had bothered to go to university etc it might not seem that way. 

I was a freelance software engineer for 30 years so things like writing apps is simple. 

PS, the name Far-Away suits you more than the scientist called Faraday.

Ahh... the narrative finally resumes... Are you ready for those climate lockdowns? Yeah... Climate Lockdowns are a thing... look it up. 

I would say, you can't make this $h%& up, but somebody clearly has. 

10 minutes ago, JamesR said:

am surprised you think such an easy thing is impossible

So you think you know my thinking too .?

What are clever little chap you are.

Let me remind you of something...

You are the **** that has come on the forum, making derogatory comments about people who live or have retired here.

Do you like soul music, JamesR...?

• Like 2

Just now, Faraday said:

So you think you know my thinking too .?

What are clever little chap you are.

Let me remind you of something...

You are the **** that has come on the forum, making derogatory comments about people who live or have retired here.

Do you like soul music, JamesR...?

He is just a damned irritating troll mate, does nothing  but post derogatory comments just to wind people up, get a reaction, nothing short of an irritating bar steward.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, colinneil said:

He is just a damned irritating troll mate, does nothing  but post derogatory comments just to wind people up, get a reaction, nothing short of an irritating bar steward.

It appears to me you are the trolls, read your comments to me, they are derogatory it seems.

A pot calling the kettle black. 

The forum is open to anyone, do you think you own it or something?

Phuket is the place to be as there are not many skint farang retirees living on a petty pension as far as I can see and who are not so angry with the world. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 9:55 PM, Stonker said:

Ditto in Loei, @K C - no registrations for anyone for the last two months, Thai or foreigner, and now no allocation either!

Regestered on the expatvac site, 78 year old still heard nothing, 

Anyone, had a reply from that site, 

On 8/10/2021 at 1:31 AM, JamesR said:

I am normally in Phuket doing this for six months of the year but why go to Thailand now when it is so quiet and desolate and there will be nothing to do there?

Depends on what you want to do.

I first moved to Thailand in 1997.

Frankly, the past year in Phuket, as an expat whose income does not depend on tourism, has been fabulous.  Wonderful.

Now I happen to think quiet is wonderful.  Most the retired expats I know share the same view.

BUT if looking for a place to be rowdy, party, drink, party, race around like mad, ... then, ... yes , ... I agree with you.  Please don't come to Phuket.  You won't find such at present.

Edited by oldcpu

On 8/10/2021 at 1:44 AM, JamesR said:

I am not sure what an expat is in Thailand, I do not know any farang with permanent residency, all the ones I have ever met have to get a work permit visa, or an old bloke retirement visa every single year and in normal times have to go and report every three months so basically most farangs are just slightly longer tourists than me.

How long in your view does one need to stay to stop being a tourist?

If someone stays for a couple of decades, and has been reporting every 90-days, do you consider them a tourist?

If so, you and I have totally different understandings of the meaning of the word 'tourist'.

24 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Depends on what you want to do.

I first moved to Thailand in 1997.

Frankly, the past year in Phuket, as an expat whose income does not depend on tourism, has been fabulous.  Wonderful.

Now I happen to think quiet is wonderful.  Most the retired expats I know share the same view.

BUT if looking for a place to be rowdy, party, drink, party, race around like mad, ... then, ... yes , ... I agree with you.  Please don't come to Phuket.  You won't find such at present.

No I don't want to race around, but I would like to know what will happen in a months time or two months time.

But I would like to know I can join my 'expats' mates for a drink once a week as before. 

I would like to know that I will not get locked down and only be allowed to travel a couple of miles from my house as happened to me there last year.

I would like to know when my favourite restaurant and street vendors will be able to open again otherwise I am just living in a jail

The virus is spreading much faster now in Thailand and without sufficient vaccines then it could get worse so I will stay away for now in the UK where everything is open due to the fact 75% of us adults have had two vaccines. 

25 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

How long in your view does one need to stay to stop being a tourist?

If someone stays for a couple of decades, and has been reporting every 90-days, do you consider them a tourist?

If so, you and I have totally different understandings of the meaning of the word 'tourist'.

Ok, I agree, I should not use the word 'tourist' but instead 'temporary resident', if you can not get a permanent visa to stay, the right to vote, the right to own a house as is possible in other Asia countries(re owning property) then, you are still temporary. 

The people from other countries living in the UK can do all of the above and at the same time have a life long guarantee they will get the best NHS hospital and medical services free which is available to the rest of us and be looked after when they become old and sick, is that available to you in Thailand?

But to me I love Thailand, it is a great place for long holiday as long as I know my assets and investment are in the UK to be used to fund my stay in Thailand knowing I will at some point be too old to go there but still be safe here. 

47 minutes ago, Allan said:

Regestered on the expatvac site, 78 year old still heard nothing, 

Anyone, had a reply from that site, 

Yet people call it a paradise, I suppose it is if you are young and fit, do not need vaccines and hospital treatment. 

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

But I would like to know I can join my 'expats' mates for a drink once a week as before. 

I would like to know that I will not get locked down and only be allowed to travel a couple of miles from my house as happened to me there last year.

I would like to know when my favourite restaurant and street vendors will be able to open again otherwise I am just living in a jail

I think it depends on the province. 

I live in Phuket, so I will answer from a Phuket perspective (where one can come under the 'Sandbox' scheme at present time).

Joining your 'expat mates' for a drink may or may not be possible, dependent on the state of the pandemic at the time you visit. For a while in April this year, ALL visits between expat mates (and Thai locals to their mates) in Phuket were not allowed ... then later when the virus cases dropped in Phuket, it was relaxed and such allowed. But with the increasing pandemic cases, its possible that even with the 'Sandbox' that this restriction be applied again.  

As for 'drinking' with one's mates currently, this can not be done in Restaurants at present due to restrictions that are in place to try and combat this pandemic.  Its possible to do such in one's residence ... although as noted .. this could be banned soon.

As for when your favourite restaurant and street vendors allowed to open ... in Phuket they are allowed to open NOW.  But they can't serve alcohol, and they may lose money in trying to stay open, as (1) there is a global pandemic going on that limits travel in most places, (2) Phuket, despite the sandbox has heavy restrictions to enter, and (3)  this IS the traditional low season and many restaurants and street vendors typically do not open this time of year.

The pandemic is changing (hopefully only temporary) things everywhere.  Some countries won't even allow one to go to a restaurant without being vaccinated.  Fortunately that is NOT the case in Thailand.

If one comes to Phuket, and is tested positive for the virus on arrival (despite being fully vaccinated) one is required to give up their SHA+ accommodations (money refunded) and go to a hospital or special ASQ (at their own expense).

Further, if one is deemed to be sufficiently close to someone else on the flight to Phuket (where it was that someone else on the flight who is tested positive on arrival), despite being tested negative one is still required to  give up their SHA+ accommodations (money refunded) and go to a special ASQ and isolate, again at their own expense. While Health Insurance should cover one if they are tested positive, in this later case (physically close on the flight to someone who tested positive) health insurance may not cover that.  So that is a risk one needs to consider.

Clearly, there are risks in coming to Phuket.   

Lets not forget - there is a global pandemic raging - if one travels, then one needs to accept the risks.  If Phuket's current regulations are unsatisfactory for one's wishes, then stay away.   IMHO its that simple.

Edited by oldcpu