HOME BREWING

stuhan

1 hour ago, stuhan said:

Sadly i have decided to quit this topic mainly due to people  like  Thaidup making people worry about making a few home brews. drink up cold one GIF by Black Hog BrewingAs i have said before yes strictly speaking it is illegal but as you all are aware a lot of people do it and stores selling homebrew supplies are many and the goverment has not stopped their activities so where's  the problem, people like thaidup just want to make comments about the laws in Thailand knowing it will worry people, it won't worry me and i hope you will all ignore  thaidups negative posts, that's up to all of you. I am also moving to another location in Thailand shortly so i will be busy with other projects.

It's been a really good topic i have enjoyed it so much, but i just can't be assed with people who wish to spoil things for other people planting the seeds of worry on others.

Take care of yourselves

S.H

Sorry to hear this, I enjoyed our chats. You could put Thaidup on ignore as I have. He's only been on here for a couple of months.

On 3/23/2022 at 2:07 AM, Thaidup said:

Sorry for your feelings about my post,but the underlying issue is that it is illegal to brew alcohol in Thailand without a license, and to skirt that point is being disingenuous to forum members living in Thailand.

This thread is a great educational portal for brewing your own beer etc, However I think it wise to advise expats that doing so in Thailand is illegal unless licensed, and to be caught unawares is not an excuse before the law.

Not making a big issue, just advising. There has been a lot of "issues" about farangs in Thailand and the immigration law over the last few years. and from my personal opinion, what you do at home is none of my beeswax.

But I will note, that Thai immigration police may be monitoring forums in Thailand.

If you find it it a problem leave it be . 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 11:16 AM, stuhan said:

Sadly i have decided to quit this topic mainly due to people  like  Thaidup making people worry about making a few home brews. drink up cold one GIF by Black Hog BrewingAs i have said before yes strictly speaking it is illegal but as you all are aware a lot of people do it and stores selling homebrew supplies are many and the goverment has not stopped their activities so where's  the problem, people like thaidup just want to make comments about the laws in Thailand knowing it will worry people, it won't worry me and i hope you will all ignore  thaidups negative posts, that's up to all of you. I am also moving to another location in Thailand shortly so i will be busy with other projects.

It's been a really good topic i have enjoyed it so much, but i just can't be assed with people who wish to spoil things for other people planting the seeds of worry on others.

Take care of yourselves

I am sorry that you feel that way about my comments stu, My personal opinion is that expats in Thailand may benefit from understanding Thai law. Nothing I posted is stopping any person from accessing or commenting on the thread. Just asking questions and looking for answers.

On 4/10/2022 at 7:39 PM, Convert54 said:

f you find it it a problem leave it be .

No, not a problem for me. My natural thoughts are that the forum consists of expats,visitors,old time expats, returnees, enthusiasts, and a combination of all of the above.

For some of them it may be beneficial to understand the law while living in Thailand, Maybe the people that are living in Thailand and showing pictures on the internet of their "stil" to the world may thank me later when they hear about a farang being deported for doing the same thing? Who knows? The law is the law until it is changed.😇

3 hours ago, Thaidup said:

No, not a problem for me. My natural thoughts are that the forum consists of expats,visitors,old time expats, returnees, enthusiasts, and a combination of all of the above.

For some of them it may be beneficial to understand the law while living in Thailand, Maybe the people that are living in Thailand and showing pictures on the internet of their "stil" to the world may thank me later when they hear about a farang being deported for doing the same thing? Who knows? The law is the law until it is changed.😇

Man i don't know what planet your on,but enjoy yourself.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Benjy-mouse said:

Come on guys.

Don't let the sub forum die because of one poster.

OK. 6 litres of 80/20% apple & grape juice last week with 1/2 pack Mangrove Jacks MO2 cider yeast. Showed 8% ABV on my hydrometer. 5 days later it was down to SG 0.000. Bottled it.  What a kick it has!

There were only about 3 or 4 of us who wrote anything anyway.

• Like 2

20L red grape juice.

16L grape juice. 4L montflur water, 4.2k white sugar. one pack  Lalvin  EC1118.  Sg 1.095

let you know in two weeks time. 

30 minutes ago, Benjy-mouse said:

20L red grape juice.

16L grape juice. 4L montflur water, 4.2k white sugar. one pack  Lalvin  EC1118.  Sg 1.095

let you know in two weeks time. 

Which red grape juice are you using? If you bought from Lotus/Macro, that would be about Bht 60 a litre, so Bht 960 for your 16 litres. Try Trivago concentrate off Lazada or direct from them so can specify the 'flavour' you want.

Half a pack of yeast is adequate.

33 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Which red grape juice are you using? If you bought from Lotus/Macro, that would be about Bht 60 a litre, so Bht 960 for your 16 litres. Try Trivago concentrate off Lazada or direct from them so can specify the 'flavour' you want.

I trust you mean Jamago William.

1 hour ago, WilliamG said:

I have used Chabaa about 64 a carton.

Cant find Trivago ?  do you mean  Jamago?  if so that would work out a lot more expensive.? most likely taste 100% better.

Edited by Benjy-mouse
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Benjy-mouse said:

Cant find Trivago ?  do you mean  Jamago?  if so that would work out a lot more expensive.? most likely taste 100% better.

I am one of the lucky ones Benjy, I prefer white wine and on Jamagos own website they have 1,3,5 or 10 litres. Just for an example 10 litres retails at 2,250 Baht and they recommend that you dilute it 3-1. I have diluted to 4-1 and it still tastes fine but not as rich as a 3-1 dilution.

So if you buy 10 litres and dilute it at 3-1 that will give you a grand total of 40 litres and that works out at just 56.25 per litre.

Screenshot_2022-04-30-13-42-12-273_com.opera.browser.thumb.jpg.2ee783e8458afa3869b262c21a3f0a30.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Benjy-mouse said:

So sorry, I meant Jamago.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

I am one of the lucky ones Benjy, I prefer white wine and on Jamagos own website they have 1,3,5 or 10 litres. Just for an example 10 litres retails at 2,250 Baht and they recommend that you dilute it 3-1. I have diluted to 4-1 and it still tastes fine but not as rich as a 3-1 dilution.

So if you buy 10 litres and dilute it at 3-1 that will give you a grand total of 40 litres and that works out at just 56.25 per litre.

Screenshot_2022-04-30-13-42-12-273_com.opera.browser.thumb.jpg.2ee783e8458afa3869b262c21a3f0a30.jpg

I have done 'em all from Jamago. Excellent products.

• Like 2

I will give Jamago  red a go  at some point.  does look good.

but going to have a go at banana wine in a few weeks time first.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Benjy-mouse said:

I found the Lambrusco to be very nice.

Why are you waiting a few weeks, get it going NOW !

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Benjy-mouse said:

The cheapest red is double the price of a white Sauvignon. 🥴

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WilliamG said:

I found the Lambrusco to be very nice.

Why are you waiting a few weeks, get it going NOW !

Only got one fridge that fits a  25L fermentation pot. 

( got temperature issues this time of year)

Edited by Benjy-mouse

Just now, Benjy-mouse said:

Only got one fridge that fits a a 25L fermentation pot.  ( got temperature issues this time of year)

The only time I used a kegerator is when I made beer, I think most on here make wine without a fridge. I used to let it ferment in the bedroom where it was slightly cooler but kept getting stuck fermentations, so do all my wine now under cover outside, the only bad wine I made was when I used salt instead of sugar, well they kinda look the same.😕

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

The only time I used a kegerator is when I made beer, I think most on here make wine without a fridge. I used to let it ferment in the bedroom where it was slightly cooler but kept getting stuck fermentations, so do all my wine now under cover outside, the only bad wine I made was when I used salt instead of sugar, well they kinda look the same.😕

Got to laugh about the salt, i only do that one with the coffee some times. !!!!! :classic_laugh:

Well, i have had so many stuck fermentation's, that i'm still trying to figure out why.

it's come down to two things, temperature can get up to around 32-34 to hot, or copy yeast conking out at around 10%, i'm 90% sure it's a combination of the both. bought some red star yeast from two different places and the color of the packaging is a different shade and a lot number of 0000001 is a bit strange.

I can't put stuff outside to many nosey parkers around me. so the fridge gives me good bug control and no nosey parkers and great temperature control, just a pain lifting it in and out to give it a stir.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2022 at 3:17 AM, Benjy-mouse said:

Got to laugh about the salt, i only do that one with the coffee some times. !!!!! :classic_laugh:

Well, i have had so many stuck fermentation's, that i'm still trying to figure out why.

it's come down to two things, temperature can get up to around 32-34 to hot, or copy yeast conking out at around 10%, i'm 90% sure it's a combination of the both. bought some red star yeast from two different places and the color of the packaging is a different shade and a lot number of 0000001 is a bit strange.

I can't put stuff outside to many nosey parkers around me. so the fridge gives me good bug control and no nosey parkers and great temperature control, just a pain lifting it in and out to give it a stir.

Surely fermenting in a fridge is too cold, that's why they get stuck. I do mine in the downstairs bathroom which is between 25-28 degrees, never any problem. And I do not stir it after the first day or two.

I have some Munton's GV7 yeast which is specifically for re-starting fermentations. I think I got it on Lazada.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Surely fermenting in a fridge is too cold, that's why they get stuck. I do mine in the downstairs bathroom which is between 25-28 degrees, never any problem. And I do not stir it after the first day or two.

I have some Munton's GV7 yeast which is specifically for re-starting fermentations. I think I got it on Lazada.

Mine was too cold in the bedroom, as I said outside goes like billy-o. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WilliamG said:

Will check out the re-starting yeast

its 26 in fridge right now.  fridge is a new thing for me,  just trying it, i have an independent temp sensor with the power control unit. 

30-34 is to hot, that's the temperature in my location about 6  months of the year. 31 right now

5 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

Mine was too cold in the bedroom, as I said outside goes like billy-o. 

My wife would start a strict ration regime of bedroom activities , if i put wine gurgling away in the bedroom,

can't have that.  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by Benjy-mouse
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Benjy-mouse said:

Will check out the re-starting yeast

its 26 in fridge right now.  fridge is a new thing for me,  just trying it, i have an independent temp sensor with the power control unit. 

30-34 is to hot, that's the temperature in my location about 6  months of the year. 31 right now

I was a great believer in using my chest freezer for brewing and to be honest if I started brewing beer again I would use my freezer with the temperature control. But for wines the yeasts have a very high tolerance to warm temperatures, some as high as 40°C, I usually use the Lalvin 1116 for the wine and it is all fermented outside, there are never ever any smells or tastes that shouldn't be there.

Check out this yeast chart, you should have more success fermenting anywhere but the fridge. Good luck.🍷

https://winemakermag.com/resource/yeast-strains-chart

• Like 1