News Forum - Thai PM faces uncertain outcome as censure debate kicks off today

Thaiger

The four day censure debate kicks off today, with the Thai PM and his cabinet ministers, targeted for censure, confident they will emerge unscathed. The actual no confidence motion will be put to the vote on Saturday after four days of drilling from opposition MPs. The weekly cabinet meeting was move forward to yesterday to accommodate the week of parliamentary debate. The Thai prime minister has survived three other no confidence motions during his tenure at the top job. It will also be the last that can be scheduled with an election having to be called before March in 2023. […]

The story Thai PM faces uncertain outcome as censure debate kicks off today as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Despite how he got there, and some of the shenanigans he's pulled along the way, as a farang who's lower than a soi dog in the Thai landscape, I often thought Pryuth's grumpy old man "traditional Thai values" mantra a necessary evil after the previous populist Shinawatra administrations.  Perhaps, in part, down to me being ex-mil, so I appreciate the value of good order and discipline in a large, diverse organization.  Sometimes saying "no" and a firm hand is necessary.  People need to be led and managed.  Take what's his name for example, the Moses character, sick to the back teeth with all the BS, so he disappeared up a mountain out of sight for a while, returning with a rule book laying out some ethos/standards of conduct for the yobs.   

That's what I thought Law and Order Reset Prayuth was trying to do, especially the first number of years at the helm, as the Yaba drug dealing/loan shark enforcer motorbike gang in my village disappeared, Army NCOs held guard mount inspection on the lazy,  out-of-shape coppers in front of the highway kiosk station, and the cop running the drunken cock fighting gambling tournaments around the corner from my house every bloody Sunday, closed up shop and hasn't been heard from still, to this day.  

Clearly it's not perfect.  Pryuth did seem to run off the rails at times, seemingly full of himself and drunk on power to some extent, as seen in other right-wing quasi-Communist cum Fascist efforts around the world meant to maintain "traditional values", preserve breadbasket operations, and throttle freedoms that can/have/will run amok if too much too fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TWS60 said:

Despite how he got there, and some of the shenanigans he's pulled along the way, as a farang who's lower than a soi dog in the Thai landscape, I often thought Pryuth's grumpy old man "traditional Thai values" mantra a necessary evil after the previous populist Shinawatra administrations.  Perhaps, in part, down to me being ex-mil, so I appreciate the value of good order and discipline in a large, diverse organization.  Sometimes saying "no" and a firm hand is necessary.  People need to be led and managed.  Take what's his name for example, the Moses character, sick to the back teeth with all the BS, so he disappeared up a mountain out of sight for a while, returning with a rule book laying out some ethos/standards of conduct for the yobs.   

That's what I thought Law and Order Reset Prayuth was trying to do, especially the first number of years at the helm, as the Yaba drug dealing/loan shark enforcer motorbike gang in my village disappeared, Army NCOs held guard mount inspection on the lazy,  out-of-shape coppers in front of the highway kiosk station, and the cop running the drunken cock fighting gambling tournaments around the corner from my house every bloody Sunday, closed up shop and hasn't been heard from still, to this day.  

Clearly it's not perfect.  Pryuth did seem to run off the rails at times, seemingly full of himself and drunk on power to some extent, as seen in other right-wing quasi-Communist cum Fascist efforts around the world meant to maintain "traditional values", preserve breadbasket operations, and throttle freedoms that can/have/will run amok if too much too fast.

All of this has been part and parcel of Thai political tradition for decades, as simple historic observations will be quite evident and reflective of the cycle. 

No such great revelations, really - as each passing generation considers they're the ones that will break through to create change. Nothing ever comes to pass, though. 

Traditional Thai militarism rule has always been in place for the protected class and has little respect for the commons.

Trimming the odd branches, here and there, does little to truly rectify anything. 

What is required is the root systems to be severed. 

• Like 1

I am co fident of two things from this debate:

1. A vote of no confidence will vote overwhelmingly against the PM and his cabinet, and

2. It will make no difference at all to the structure of leadership up to the election.

Prayut has the confidence of the military and if by chance he was forced from office it would be a safe bet that another coup would be in the offing (if not already planned as a back-up).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DesperateOldHand said:

All of this has been part and parcel of Thai political tradition for decades, as simple historic observations will be quite evident and reflective of the cycle. 

No such great revelations, really - as each passing generation considers they're the ones that will break through to create change. Nothing ever comes to pass, though. 

Traditional Thai militarism rule has always been in place for the protected class and has little respect for the commons.

Trimming the odd branches, here and there, does little to truly rectify anything. 

What is required is the root systems to be severed. 

I would not hold my breath waiting for that to happen. The majority of Thais still need to learn that the word 'procrastination' exists, let alone how to spell it...

• Haha 1