News Forum - Thailand to lift 2-5pm alcohol sales ban in hotels from July

Thaiger

Thailand seems to be lifting gazillions of restrictions lately. In its latest move announced yesterday, Thailand’s CCSA plans to lift its notorious alcohol sales ban from 2-5pm in hotels, starting July 1. According to Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, restaurants and tourist attractions may also sell alcohol during this time, at provincial governors’ discretion. Phiphat stressed that lifting the ban will hugely boost Thailand’s tourism industry. He said that starting July 1, the country expects an estimated 25-30 thousand international tourists to flock into the Kingdom. He expects to see at least 7.5 million people by the end of […]

The story Thailand to lift 2-5pm alcohol sales ban in hotels from July as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand’s CCSA plans to lift its notorious alcohol sales ban from 2-5pm in hotels, starting July 1.

Oh, so no changes for the hotel restaurants and bars

I’m aware of the ban on alcohol sales during these times in places like 7/11 etc. but one thing I’ve never understood, is why bars continue to sell during these hours? Are bars exempt or is it part of the deal on tea money paid ?  

• Like 1

I doubt the millions of tourists wont come to Thailand if they cannot drink alcohol in the afternoon. They come, or do not come, for other reasons.

That being said, it is always good to lift rules that may lead to confusion.

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

No mention of the Emergency decree being lifted as far as I can see?? 

You're not supposed to notice that failure.

• Haha 2

I know we can not buy beer etc in 7/11, Tesco etc shops between 2 to 5 pm but on the rare occasions I have a beer at a bar during that period it has always been possible. (Last 30+ years).

I stayed in Rayong in 2019 for a few months and I could go to the large local family beer/spirits supply shop at anytime and buy by the box full even when it was supposed to be not allowed, all done in the open. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Why don’t they just open it all up. Let’s get Thailand back to where it used to be. The Wild Wild East. 

Well, they won’t need to, as all those Bars that are now Restaurants that want to be open at those times will now become Hotels. I do believe the Thai Government did set a president with allowing all those restaurants to be registered. 

14 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Why don’t they just open it all up. Let’s get Thailand back to where it used to be. The Wild Wild East. 

Only interpretation to me is that Thailand has a serious drinking problem to implement this rule. 

21 hours ago, Soidog said:

No mention of the Emergency decree being lifted as far as I can see?? 

Baby steps. If I remember correctly the restrictions on alcohol sales at certain times came in long before Covid didn’t it? I have a feeling it may have been Taksin era.

5 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

Baby steps. If I remember correctly the restrictions on alcohol sales at certain times came in long before Covid didn’t it? I have a feeling it may have been Taksin era.

Yes the ban on selling alcohol for several hours during the day has been around for many many years. Not sure who's bright idea it was… 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ozvenision said:

I need a drink reading all this.. shit it's only 3pm!!!

Go to a bar mate. For some reason they never seem to have a problem selling beer at 3pm…..  Does anyone know why? 

13 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Go to a bar mate. For some reason they never seem to have a problem selling beer at 3pm…..  Does anyone know why? 

down soi mafia mate can get everything 24/7 🤣 .. and the reason is so they can survive.. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 4:23 PM, Soidog said:

ban on alcohol sales during these times in places like 7/11

On July 1st I have heard there will be the biggest hotel chain in Thailand registered …… 7/11

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Because they sell food? 😂

• Haha 1