News Forum - 5 countries’ representatives walk out when Russian official speaks in Bangkok

Thaiger

Thailand may be claiming ‘neutrality’ following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, but representatives of 5 countries at a Bangkok event today certainly weren’t. Two Thai officials and 2 international diplomats told Reuters that at the Apec trade ministers’ meeting in Bangkok today, representatives of 5 countries walked out when Russia’s economic development minister Maksim Reshetnikov was speaking. The 5 who walked out were representatives of Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Japan, and the US. Representatives from 21 countries attended the meeting, which aims to discuss economic prosperity. A Thai government source said the representatives walked out in protest against Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. […]

The story 5 countries’ representatives walk out when Russian official speaks in Bangkok as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Thanks 1

The other 15 countries don’t have a proxy war to support so they probably hung around for the drinks the Russian was buying.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TedG said:

Good, all Russians should be shunned.

Well Ted, not all Russians, as it was the decision of their Government. 

• Like 4

Reps from Australia, NZ, Japan, USA, Canada walked out.

For the record, reps from Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, South Korea, Peru, Mexico, Chile, PNG, Indonesia, Philippines and Brunei stayed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

For the record, reps from Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, South Korea, Peru, Mexico, Chile, PNG, Indonesia, Philippines and Brunei stayed.

I could probably have guessed that list before it happened. Pleased to see Japan making a stand for world order. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Some of the names on there surprise me. Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea and Mexico all need the west far more than they do Russia.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I could probably have guessed that list before it happened. Pleased to see Japan making a stand for world order. 

Japan has been very ballsy in response to the invasion, especially considering that elections are due next month. No action on Covid entry restrictions (political risk) but very assertive on Russia.

I haven’t met a single Japanese person skeptical of the sanctions on Russia. If anything, people want the government to do more. There’s no “5th column alternative opinion” minority here at all like in western countries. And suddenly Japanese people are taking an interest in the disputed islands.

Edited by BigHewer
Fix autocorrect error
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

The gutless countries stayed

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Some of the names on there surprise me. Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea and Mexico all need the west far more than they do Russia.

I agree with the sentiment in the second half of your post RS, but I’m not  surprised by the list for different reasons: lack of a pair, fear of China, willingness to ride the destabilization rollercoaster, depending on the country.

• Like 4

Wow, if normal people like you or me don't want to talk and ignore someone's point of view, it's not good already but ok, your choice. 

But if people who represent a country do the same, it's really a wrong message on how to behave to other humans. They should know better and stay in touch, or else, how will you ever get peace? Imo childish to walk out. 

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Well Ted, not all Russians, as it was the decision of their Government. 

The sad part is that people who don't think for themselves now see anything Russian as something coming straight from hell. Sadly it has almost become a kind of stereotype. I have friends from Russia living abroad who seriously got trouble and have been bullied only for being born in a certain area of the world. So ridiculous. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

The sad part is that people who don't think for themselves now see anything Russian as something coming straight from hell. Sadly it has almost become a kind of stereotype. I have friends from Russia living abroad who seriously got trouble and have been bullied only for being born in a certain area of the world. So ridiculous. 

Did they vote for Czar Putin or against him at the last election?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Yeah like Ukrainians facing war not out of choice but because they were born there too. That's what sanctions are intended for, not just to make Putin's life difficult from other countries but also to make his own people unhappy and suffer enough to make his political future within Russia more difficult.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Scribble said:

Yeah like Ukrainians facing war not out of choice but because they were born there too. That's what sanctions are intended for, not just to make Putin's life difficult from other countries but also to make his own people unhappy and suffer enough to make his political future within Russia more difficult.

It seems weird because it's 2022, but you can have 2 opinions. And because you have one opinion, doesn't mean you have to stand for everything else that someone else just guesses you stand for lol. 

I'm against the war. I can understand why Russia did what they did. I don't agree them doing that. I also think the west is very hypocrite by blaming Russia for what they did in the past. I also think Russia is hypocrite for blaming the west in the past for things they are currently doing. 

I also think that trying to hurt the people of another country, just to get what you want (regime change) is not the right option, because... Well, you might have seen how that turned out in other countries. 

As far as I've heard, even on tv (even on tv, can you believe it?) the average person in Russia is pretty happy how things are inside Russia. They are also blaming the government when they feel the need to. They have their own point of view which is almost totally the opposite of the west's point of view in this situation. If they hear about sanctions, they won't think it's Russia but thanks to the west. It won't push them away from Putin, but you push a whole country including its people away from the west. 

But of course we can say they are lying. They also say we are lying. So why is speacing the complete truth here. Is it us? Just because we say so? Is it them? Just because they say so? 

Nobody wants to talk and try to understand each other anymore and that's a very dangerous thing, because that's a reason we get things such as 2 truths and that will very likely result in a bigger situation. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Yeah but the sanctions arent working are they? Next thing is wheat for roubles.

Depends what you mean by "working".

They certainly have a very strong effect, but haven't convinced Putin to pull back (yet).

• Like 2

It’s just virtue signaling. Lay some sanctions on Saudi Arabia about Yemen if they are so concerned about humanity. That civil war makes this European war du jour look like a punch up at a BBQ.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I personally think that it is in extremely bad taste and manners to walk out on anybody, regardless of who they are or the countries they represent. Their time is also important. Remember, Manners Maketh Man.

These persons who walked out should remember too, that they are nominated Public Servants, the emphasis being on the word servant.

Edited by IneptoCracy
Add
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1