Non-Immigrant O Visa Health Insurance

Nightflame

I am in the UK and am applying for a 90 day Non-Immigrant O Visa on the basis of retirement 50+

No issues with the paperwork, although they do ask for proof or residency in UK twice.

My question is concerning Heath Insurance. I was planning to use a 90day Travel Insurance from Saga or the Post Office, however according to the UK Thai Visa website the Health Insurance has to be issued by a Thai insurer:

"6 . Health Insurance issued by thai insurer with outpatient benefit of not less than 40,000 THB and inpatient benefit of not less than 400,000 THB. The insurance must also cover all medical expenditures including COVID-19 at least USD 100,000 and must cover the whole period of stay in Thailand."

Seems a but odd, bit anyway if thats the requirement I guess I need to meet it. Any recommendations of where to get a suitable Thai policy from? All I have seen so far are policies for O-A visas, or COVID specific policies.

Thanks,

Edited by Nightflame

20 minutes ago, Nightflame said:

My question is concerning Heath Insurance. I was planning to use a 90day Travel Insurance from Saga or the Post Office, however according to the UK Thai Visa website the Health Insurance has to be issued by a Thai insurer:

Official Thai Embassy website;
Non-Immigrant visas - Royal Thai Embassy, London

Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)

• Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland. Copy of health insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.

Cover is only required for 90 days, the duration of stay granted on entry.
Confirmation of legal residence is your Passport.

> Cover is only required for 90 days, the duration of stay granted on entry.

I understand that. But the application process (when I create a submission on https://www.thaievisa.go.th/) requires Thai issued Insurance rather than UK Issued Travel insurance, even if it meets (or exceeds) the 100,000 USD.

Was looking for some recommendations for 90 day Thai insurance that would satisfy the conditions of Non-Immigrant Type O Visa.

Thanks,

Some discrepancies in the requirements.

On the Official Website of Thailand Electronic Visa (thaievisa.go.th) the Non O based on retirement isn't even listed, but ........ it is available from the Thai Embassy London.

19 hours ago, Nightflame said:

"6 . Health Insurance issued by thai insurer with outpatient benefit of not less than 40,000 THB and inpatient benefit of not less than 400,000 THB. The insurance must also cover all medical expenditures including COVID-19 at least USD 100,000 and must cover the whole period of stay in Thailand."

Can you give a direct link to the above?

For a Thai Insurer, you need to go through TGIA.
https://longstay.tgia.org/companiesstv

Although the Non O isn't listed, the STV offers the same 90-day cover.
You contact the company of your choice for a quote.
LMG always used to be the cheapest.

> Can you give a direct link to the above?

No because ts step four of the application process, which requires a login:

https://www.thaievisa.go.th/applyindividual/

Attached is a screenshot, which is the best I can do. See point 6,  which requires Thai Health Insurance.

Official Website of Thailand Electronic Visa.png

Also 4 and 8 seem to be duplicate requierments, and not passport which is not proof of residency and is covered in 1.

4. Proof of the permanent residence in the country where the application is submitted

8. Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency.

Anyway I have enough bill and driving licence with my UK address n for 4 and 8.

Thanks for the tip on Thai Health Insurers, I'll check them out.

Edited by Nightflame
Add attachment

Can you get a Non O visa in the UK?  My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that when outside Thailand you apply for a Non O-A retirement visa.  One can only get a Non O visa if actually already in Thailand.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable can expand, because when I was in the US in 2020 the Non O-A visa was the only one available when I was in the States. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nightflame said:

Also 4 and 8 seem to be duplicate requierments, and not passport which is not proof of residency and is covered in 1.

4. Proof of the permanent residence in the country where the application is submitted

8. Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency.

Sometimes an applicant may have a permanent residence card for the UK, but a foreign Passport.
If you're a UK national a copy of passport for 4 and 8.

There are so many Insurance requirements at the moment for various Visa types and entry to Thailand, the bureaucrats have their knickers in a twist at the moment and the information, depending on where you look, is a shambles.
The 400 outpatient/40K inpatient mandatory Health Insurance was introduced for the Non O-A Visa, but now seems to have been integrated with Non O applications. It supposedly increased to a 3M BHT requirement from last year (equivalent of $100,000 USD) which not surprisingly was also the original requirement for entry to Thailand. That entry Insurance requirement is now 10,000 BHT.

Your policy for the Non O Visa application will more than cover the entry requirement.
Hardly surprising many foreigners are entering Visa exempt and applying for the Non O at their local Immigration office, which dispenses with all this Insurance nonsense, other than the 10,000 BHT entry requirement of course.

I can confirm that once entered on a Non O Visa and you apply for a 1-year extension of stay at Immigration, there is no further Insurance requirement.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

Can you get a Non O visa in the UK?  My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that when outside Thailand you apply for a Non O-A retirement visa.  One can only get a Non O visa if actually already in Thailand.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable can expand, because when I was in the US in 2020 the Non O-A visa was the only one available when I was in the States. 

This is what i did , got my Non o based on marriage  at Thai Immigration! I came here on a single entry tourist visa.The only thing I did in the states at the time (2019) was fund my Thai bank account and make a appointment for the USA embassy in Bkk to have a affidavit stamped . Then hired someone to translate all the paper requirements into Thai.

My wife did the rest at the Amphur! A few weeks before my visa expired we went to Immigration up here in Sakon Nakhon and completed the process.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Faz said:

Your policy for the Non O Visa application will more than cover the entry requirement.
Hardly surprising many foreigners are entering Visa exempt and applying for the Non O at their local Immigration office, which dispenses with all this Insurance nonsense, other than the 10,000 BHT entry requirement of course.

I can confirm that once entered on a Non O Visa and you apply for a 1-year extension of stay at Immigration, there is no further Insurance requirement.

That is what I eventually did.  Came over on a visa exempt stamp and applied for the Non O and no further insurance requirement.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, riclag said:

This is what i did , got my Non o based on marriage  at Thai Immigration! I came here on a single entry tourist visa.The only thing I did in the states at the time (2019) was fund my Thai bank account and make a appointment for the USA embassy in Bkk to have a affidavit stamped . Then hired someone to translate all the paper requirements into Thai.

My wife did the rest at the Amphur! A few weeks before my visa expired we went to Immigration up here in Sakon Nakhon and completed the process.

I also arrived on a visa exemption stamp early last year and after my ASQ release applied for my Non O.  I already had two Thai banks account with one funded with enough for the $800k retirement visa, as I had been coming to Thailand several times a year for only a month at a time.  I got stuck in 2020 with the covid lockdowns and my return ticket kept getting pushed another 30 days by the airlines right after I did only one border visa run ended up being extended here for six months (179 days).  Decided to get a retirement visa on my next return in early 2021 after my ASQ. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

I also arrived on a visa exemption stamp early last year and after my ASQ release applied for my Non O.  I already had two Thai banks account with one funded with enough for the $800k retirement visa, as I had been coming to Thailand several times a year for only a month at a time.  I got stuck in 2020 with the covid lockdowns and my return ticket kept getting pushed another 30 days by the airlines right after I did only one border visa run ended up being extended here for six months (179 days).  Decided to get a retirement visa on my next return in early 2021 after my ASQ. 

Perfect! You had some ,what could be described as hairy times during 2020 and especially April of 2021 with the Delta variant !

Good for you

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

Yes you can, and also in the US now.
The UK original offered the Non O on the basis of retirement, but then withdrew it late 2014.
Along came the online E-Visa application system and the Non O retirement became available again.
Non-Immigrant Type O (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

The online E-Visa system was rolled out in the USA Feb 2021, and the Non O based on retirement has been available since then.
Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” (retirement)
https://thaiembdc.org/2020/09/30/nonimmigrantoaox/

Since, 27th Sept 2021the Royal Thai Embassies (e-visa) have been implementing the "stickerless" E-visa service, where it is no longer required to submit passport and original documents via mail.
Everything is done online including the Visa which they email to you.

Australia as an example does not yet use the online E-Visa system and only offers the Non O-A Visa for the purpose of retirement. The Non O is only available for the purpose of visiting Thai family/spouse.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced 3 years ago it planned to roll out the online e-visa system to all Countries within the next 5 years, Covid may have disrupted those plans though.

31 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

Decided to get a retirement visa on my next return in early 2021 after my ASQ. 

You changed your Immigration status from Tourist to Non Immigrant and obtained the Non O which granted you a stay of 90 days. You then extended that stay for a further 1 year based on retirement, which is a permit (of stay), not a Visa.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Faz said:

You changed your Immigration status from Tourist to Non Immigrant and obtained the Non O which granted you a stay of 90 days. You then extended that stay for a further 1 year based on retirement, which is a permit (of stay), not a Visa.

Technically you are correct it is not a visa, but in general conversation many call it a visa, though not the correct term.  Not just me as you even wrote “Non O Visa” earlier in #209864.  Semantics I guess???  I was just staying on topic of the OP, but I am glad you called me out ❤️

16 hours ago, Faz said:

Yes you can, and also in the US now.
The UK original offered the Non O on the basis of retirement, but then withdrew it late 2014.
Along came the online E-Visa application system and the Non O retirement became available again.
Non-Immigrant Type O (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

The online E-Visa system was rolled out in the USA Feb 2021, and the Non O based on retirement has been available since then.
Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” (retirement)

Since, 27th Sept 2021the Royal Thai Embassies (e-visa) have been implementing the "stickerless" E-visa service, where it is no longer required to submit passport and original documents via mail.
Everything is done online including the Visa which they email to you.

Australia as an example does not yet use the online E-Visa system and only offers the Non O-A Visa for the purpose of retirement. The Non O is only available for the purpose of visiting Thai family/spouse.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced 3 years ago it planned to roll out the online e-visa system to all Countries within the next 5 years, Covid may have disrupted those plans though.

Thanks for this update.  I was applying when I was back in the US in 2020 and the only available one for my purpose was the Non O-A as the Non-O was not available from the US at that time.  Then Thailand banned flights from the US due to the high covid numbers so I put everything on hold.  There was one other short term 60 or 90 day (forgot the name) that did not go over well with very few applications.  As you wrote immigration did changed or update in Feb 2021 and by then I had already returned to Thailand on a 30 +15 day stamp and applied for the Non O permit.  My main question was basically asking if the UK was different, because I did not know and the OP is in the UK, and you answered this also after my question.  So I learned it is different, even in most western countries, as you noted the Australia example.  Lots of changes happening

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dancbmac said:

Technically you are correct it is not a visa, but in general conversation many call it a visa, though not the correct term.  Not just me as you even wrote “Non O Visa” earlier in #209864.  Semantics I guess???  I was just staying on topic of the OP, but I am glad you called me out ❤️

That was a Non Imm O Visa being applied for at a Thai Embassy in #209864. 😊

It's not semantics when you get caught out thinking and believing you extended your 'Visa' at Immigration.
Seen a few on 'expired' multi entry visas, shocked when they get a 30 day VE exempt stamp on re-entry.

I do not know if it has to be a Thai insurer but when you fill the Tailandpass there is a possibility to take such an insurance, there are several Thai insure companies, you choose the button "take an insurance" and follow instructions, should be ok.

35 minutes ago, finnsteve said:

I do not know if it has to be a Thai insurer but when you fill the Tailandpass there is a possibility to take such an insurance, there are several Thai insure companies, you choose the button "take an insurance" and follow instructions, should be ok.

Different Insurance requirements for the Non O Visa application and that for the TP for entry.

OP (UK) here, thanks for all the good comments.

Getting a it of a runaround on the insurance. I am absolutely fine having health insurance for the duration of my trip. Getting the right policy is more tricky.

AXA have no 90 day insurance, and were trying to sell me a year. When I questioned this they pointed me to their Sawasdee Thailand Inbound Insurance. Which does state should not be used for VISA purposes. Although does not list Non-O VISA specifically.

A number offer STV insurance, but its conditional on STV.  Although Pacific Cross Health Insurance say it will be OK for Non-O VISA.

Thanks,

3 hours ago, Nightflame said:

OP (UK) here, thanks for all the good comments.

Getting a it of a runaround on the insurance. I am absolutely fine having health insurance for the duration of my trip. Getting the right policy is more tricky.

AXA have no 90 day insurance, and were trying to sell me a year. When I questioned this they pointed me to their Sawasdee Thailand Inbound Insurance. Which does state should not be used for VISA purposes. Although does not list Non-O VISA specifically.

A number offer STV insurance, but its conditional on STV.  Although Pacific Cross Health Insurance say it will be OK for Non-O VISA.

Thanks,

Why don't you contact the Thai Embassy.
I'm fairly confident any 90 day Health Insurance policy will be sufficient for the Non O Visa.
The 'Thai' $100,000 USD (3 million baht +) Health Insurance policy relates to the Non O-A, STV and the Non O-X for which it's mandatory and are classed as 'long stay' Visas.
Hence, those 3 types are the only one's listed on the https://longstay.tgia.org/ website.

The Non O is a short stay Visa.
I'm positive, an associate who entered Thailand on the Non O Visa in November last year used a standard UK travel insurance policy that met the requirements and was accepted.

> Why don't you contact the Thai Embassy.

I did, and they just got back to me:

"Thank you for your email. You can use insurance from the U.K. but you do need to complete the special form. I have attached it for you."

But this seems to be for O-A rather than O. I was quite specific it was 90 day O I was inquiring about. Let me try again.

But if they allow UK insurance for O-A I see no reason why they would not allow for O.

overseas_insurance_certificate.pdf

2 hours ago, Nightflame said:

But if they allow UK insurance for O-A I see no reason why they would not allow for O.

The problem is getting a UK insurer to sign that certificate.
''in accordance with the (Thai) Cabinet Resolution dated 2nd April 2019'', ???

Hence, they advise getting insurance from a Thai insurer - easier said than done!
Try contacting this guy; https://misterprakan.com/th/main?lg=en

The Thai Embassy in London is totally confused with the Health Insurance requirements.
They introduced a mandatory Health Insurance policy for the Non O-A visa, which originally was for 400K inpatient, 40K outpatient. This was increased to 3M (approx $100,000 USD) baht last year for the Non O-A and the 400/40 was applied to the Non O Visa applications.
The Thai Embassy in London lists the O-A insurance for the Non O. ($100,000 USD).

Compare the London Thai Embassy website with that of the US, which is correct.

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/17/nonoretirement/

2.6 Applicant must be medically insured for the entire period of stay in Thailand with the following coverage:
– Outpatient benefit with a sum insured of not less than 40,000 THB, and
– Inpatient benefit with a sum insured of not less than  400,000 THB

The applicants must submit the following:

• Health insurance policy document issued by a Thai or foreign insurance company, stating that the applicant is medically insured for the period and with coverage as mentioned above:
    (a) In case of a foreign insurance company, the applicant must submit the original insurance policy document with 2 copies;
    (b) In case of a Thai insurance company, the applicant must submit 2 copies of the insurance policy document or, if available, the original insurance policy document with 2 copies. A list of Thai insurance companies participating in the scheme can be found here: http://longstay.tgia.org
  • Foreign Insurance Certificate as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and Health Insurance of Thailand, which must be completed, signed and stamped by the insurance company. The form can be downloaded here: Foreign Insurance Certificate Form

» Procedures for Non-Thai nationals who wish to obtain long stay visa (Non-Immigrant Category O-A) (thaiembdc.org)

2.10 Additional health insurance requirement for Non-Immigrant O-A / O-X (Long Stay)

• Effective from 1 October 2021, the applicant must be insured for the entire period of stay in Thailand with the following coverage:
    – Health insurance must cover Covid-19 disease with the total sum insured of no less than 3,000,000 THB or $100,000 per policy year

The applicants must submit the following:

• Health insurance policy document issued by a Thai or foreign insurance company, stating that the applicant is medically insured for the period and with coverage as mentioned above:
    (a) In case of a foreign insurance company, the applicant must submit the insurance policy document;
    (b) In case of a Thai insurance company, the applicant must submit the insurance policy document. A list of Thai insurance companies participating in the scheme can be found here: http://longstay.tgia.org
  • Foreign Insurance Certificate as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and Health Insurance of Thailand, which must be completed, signed, and stamped by the insurance company. The form can be downloaded here: Foreign Insurance Certificate Form. Please contact  your insurance company since this Foreign Insurance Certificate is mandatory.

The issue you are facing is nothing new and why so many foreigners choose to enter as a Tourist and apply for the change in status to Non Immigrant (Non O) at a local Immigration office - it eliminates the complicated health insurance requirements.

• Like 1

I can get a UK policy up to £3Million GBP for around £200 for 90 days. But you are right no UK insurance company is going to sign that form.

I have reached out to a few Thai insurers, but they really only have a 1 year O-A policy to sell me to meet the O requirements. Closer to £400+ each. 

> The issue you are facing is nothing new and why so many foreigners choose to enter as a Tourist and apply for the change in status to Non Immigrant (Non O) at a local Immigration office - it eliminates the complicated health insurance requirements.

I am starting to understand this now! I cannot believe the extra complication in going to Thailand for 3 months, compared to when I went to Singapore for 3 months last year!

What is involved for a Tourist and apply for the change in status to Non Immigrant (Non O) Retirement at a local Immigration office? Can proof of funds be in the UK still? Or does it need to be a Thai bank account? Happy to open one if they will let me!

Thanks,

..as a VERY long time Thai visitor, I'll be damned if I'm going to play this peek-a-boo insurance game.  Has anybody yet figured out EXACTLY how much this ripoff costs- I know I can't.  No matter that my American insurance includes FULL international coverage- obviously the Thai companies don't get a cut, so it's no go..

..my return will wait till this nonsense comes to an end..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nightflame said:

I am starting to understand this now! I cannot believe the extra complication in going to Thailand for 3 months, compared to when I went to Singapore for 3 months last year!

How long do you intend to stay in Thailand for?

Up to 90 days a Tourist Visa will grant a stay of 60 days on entry, and can be extended for a further 30 days at Immigration (1,900 BHT). Only the current 10,000 BHT insurance entry requirement applies.

Read; -  https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/1649-common-visa-types-explained/#comment-5560