News Forum - Anutin proposes getting rid of the Thailand Pass – for Thai returnees only

Thaiger

4 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

Err...actually, sounds like you've never arrived in Thailand during the so-called "low season". It's not only Europeans who dictate when the tourist seasons are.

Pre-Covid, Thailand was busy year-round. Whether it was May, June, September or December, I noticed relatively little difference in visitor numbers. Yes, it was probably a bit busier in December than in May, but during the latter you'd have more Chinese visitors than say Europeans.

June is when Aussies and Kiwis come to countries like Thailand to escape the cold. They don't come as much in December because that's when it's summertime back home.

If I recall correctly, you often had 2-3 million monthly visitors during the middle of the year, increasing to almost 4 million in December. These figures are for the last couple of years before Covid hit in 2020.

Err...actually I live here.

Firstly there are reasons what they are called low and high seasons. What do you think they are?

Seondly, you can ask every single bar, restaurant, resort owner where I am (Koh Chang), it is just as common knowledge as the rain during that time (and all these people could not care less about the Chinese tourists). Believe me, right now everyone is talking about the next high season.

I have a friend who just puts his small resort for sale as the result of covid and lack of tourists the past 2 years (yeah, and another one who bites the durst). His decision to do so now: he simply cannot afford / hang on until the next high season.

But this was not really the point of my original comment anyway.