Motorbike license

I have never held a motorbike license in my home country but have ridden the motor scooters ubiquitous in Thailand. Am I better off getting my license in my home country (Australia) or is it more advisable to go through the process in Thailand? 

7 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

I have never held a motorbike license in my home country but have ridden the motor scooters ubiquitous in Thailand. Am I better off getting my license in my home country (Australia) or is it more advisable to go through the process in Thailand? 

If your in your home Country, then easier to obtain it there.
Once in Thailand you can then apply for the Thai licence by showing your foreign licence, without having to take the full test.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

You sit through a few videos, there are a couple or response time tests to lights and breaking pedal speed, a vision test, one of those color and peripheral machines and then there is written test in English and then a practical test (four motorbike tests that I can remember, look it up on youtube 1. a full stop test 2. drive up a cement hill and stop 3. weave through cones, 4. a long skinny ground level cement beam you must traverse for about 50 meters without touching the ground). At least that is what I did for the motorbike test. My wife just so happen to need a renewal, so was doing a renewal only, but sat through all the tests with me so that really helped with translation issues. The motorbike process alone will be doable even by yourself...  but best to have someone with you if you don't speak the language. Bring your own motorbike, or rent one, there was a gal near the test facility that rented me a bike. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks. How long did the practical test take? Is the practical out on the roads amongst the traffic or conducted in a controlled environment?

5 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

Thanks. How long did the practical test take? Is the practical out on the roads amongst the traffic or conducted in a controlled environment?

The test took me about 5 minutes, it takes longer waiting for your turn.

You never go on the roads, the test grid is about the size of a football pitch, maybe smaller.

• Like 4

Compare this to LOS.

I renewed my large bike licence in the UK some years ago,  after it had lapsed for 30 years.  The insurance companies insisted that I re qualify to get insurance.  I took a 3 day   CBT ( compulsory basic training) course for learner riders, a bit of an embarrassment to be surrounded by 17 year olds, but invaluable in teaching me basic riding skills that I never really knew before. That was followed by a 2 day big bike test run on a government course that tested everything to do with big bike riding, followed by the stage one test.   That was followed by the full 30 minute plus road test examination.  Thailand will continue its horrendous death toll among bike riders until they come close to matching this type of regime. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

Compare this to LOS.

I renewed my large bike licence in the UK some years ago,  after it had lapsed for 30 years.  The insurance companies insisted that I re qualify to get insurance.  I took a 3 day   CBT ( compulsory basic training) course for learner riders, a bit of an embarrassment to be surrounded by 17 year olds, but invaluable in teaching me basic riding skills that I never really knew before. That was followed by a 2 day big bike test run on a government course that tested everything to do with big bike riding, followed by the stage one test.   That was followed by the full 30 minute plus road test examination.  Thailand will continue its horrendous death toll among bike riders until they come close to matching this type of regime. 

Wearing a helmet would also contribute to a reduced road toll and you don’t need training for that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

You never go on the roads, the test grid is about the size of a football pitch, maybe smaller.

Yeah... Marble-eye got it right. And I forgot about the helment requirement. Bring a helmet. 

• Like 2

On 3/14/2022 at 11:55 AM, Marble-eye said:

You may need Immigration paperwork too for the first test, like the residency certificate, 100 baht, and a certificate of health from a hospital, 20 baht. what I paid and had to get for my first Thai license when my International license was about run out.

On 3/14/2022 at 10:51 AM, Faz said:

If your in your home Country, then easier to obtain it there.
Once in Thailand you can then apply for the Thai licence by showing your foreign licence, without having to take the full test.

Would think it’s wayyyy easier to get a Thai motorcycle license from scratch than a western one ! 

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

Would think it’s wayyyy easier to get a Thai motorcycle license from scratch than a western one ! 

You now have to take a 50 question theory test and get 45 correct to pass.
Not easy when your not familiar with the Thai traffic laws and signs.

Lots of Thais fail. I still maintain it's would be easier to obtain the licence in your home Country, then just apply for a Thai licence once here, just taking the preliminary tests, not the full test. 

• 1 month later...

Getting license tomorrow.  Bit of a chore.  Initial visit to Land Transport Office with all required documents simply secures you a position in the queue.  I had to wait one month to go and actually get a Thai License.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 10:38 PM, bushav8r said:

Getting license tomorrow.  Bit of a chore.  Initial visit to Land Transport Office with all required documents simply secures you a position in the queue.  I had to wait one month to go and actually get a Thai License.

Good luck mate, how did it all go?

On 5/16/2022 at 10:38 PM, bushav8r said:

That’s actually good going. One guy here got a five month away Licence completion date.

• 5 weeks later...

As an example, I attended a 4 day class in Pattaya owned by Mityon for MC license. Cost 1000 thb. First day you take 50 question test over and over till you start passing. At the end you take official 50 question test at the school, do the physical MB riding tests. The only thing you need to do at land office is give them paperwork from school and the usual reaction and color test.

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

On 5/18/2022 at 2:20 AM, Thaidup said:

Good luck mate, how did it all go?

All went well, thanks.   I got two separate licenses...one for cars and one for motorcycles.  Double the fun and money and paperwork.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

On 6/18/2022 at 8:02 PM, hardright said:

As an example, I attended a 4 day class in Pattaya owned by Mityon for MC license. Cost 1000 thb. First day you take 50 question test over and over till you start passing. At the end you take official 50 question test at the school, do the physical MB riding tests. The only thing you need to do at land office is give them paperwork from school and the usual reaction and color test.

I didn't have to do any written tests or watch videos.  Having a foreign license and IDP helps a lot.

On 6/25/2022 at 11:19 PM, bushav8r said:

I didn't have to do any written tests or watch videos.  Having a foreign license and IDP helps a lot.

If having a full western driving license the IDP is irrelevant in obtaining a Thai DL. 

On 3/18/2022 at 9:55 PM, Thaidup said:

like the residency certificate, 100 baht,

Isn't that 100 Baht a bribe, eh, tips?  They ask for, Phuket even 300 Baht, now, but till every couple of years the at that time immigration boss of Phuket is confirming to some online medias, that it is free of charge , like on  Monday 20 July 2020, I always respond to the money question loudly, if that has changed, what the boss said some weeks/time ago. And since I just need that paper every 6 years, ....!

Phuket Immigration Deputy Chief Col Nareuwat Putthawiro today confirmed that the letter from Immigration confirming a foreigner’s registered address, specifically required for a  foreigner to be issued or to renew a driver’s licence, is free to obtain.

58 minutes ago, Alex2345 said:

@hardrightgot a link/contact for that course? I am coming next month and would like to get a license.

How long does the process take at the DLT after the course?

thanks!

You're only required to take the full exam if you don't already have a motorcycle licence.

Right, I don't have one.

Had been riding without one for years, was never a big deal, but apparently everybody has now become uptight about this.

13 minutes ago, Alex2345 said:

Right, I don't have one.

Had been riding without one for years, was never a big deal, but apparently everybody has now become uptight about this.

If you haven't got a valid licence, then you're not insured.
It's never a big deal until you have an accident. Then you may need deep pockets.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Faz said:

If you haven't got a valid licence, then you're not insured.

What insurance do you mean?

PorRorBor cumpulsory liability insurance will cover third parties' damages regardless of the driver having a license.

If you are talking comprehensive insurance, sure, but who gets that anyway when renting a motorbike?

1 hour ago, Alex2345 said:

PorRorBor cumpulsory liability insurance will cover third parties' damages regardless of the driver having a license.

'Third party' damages, not your own.
It doesn't cover rented motorcycles either, that requires a separate policy.