News Forum - Tourism revenue hits record low across all 77 provinces in Thailand

Thaiger

Tourism revenue has plummeted across each of the 77 provinces, according to data from Thailand’s tourism ministry. The Bangkok Post reports that income from both foreign and local tourism reached an historic low in 2021, dropping by nearly 70%. Meanwhile, the revenue gap between Bangkok and other major provinces remains wide. In 2021, Bangkok posted the highest revenue at 62.7 billion baht, a drop of more than 75%. Chiang Mai came in in second place, reporting revenue of 23.3 billion baht, a drop of over 53%. The southern island of Phuket was in third place, with revenue of over 21 […]

The story Tourism revenue hits record low across all 77 provinces in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What is interesting about this is not the results themselves (which almost anyone could have predicted), but the actual honest reporting of the results.

• Like 2

You mean the bar closures, entertainment venue closures, restricted hours, extra 300 baht fee, multiple covid tests, quarantines, restricted alcohol sales, to say nothing of the constantly changing rules, might have impacted peoples desire to travel to Thailand. 

NOW JUST WHO COULD EVER IMAGINED THAT MIGHT HAPPEN? 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

no wonder its dropping  as all these restrictions has totaly turned off any tourtist!!a big one is the crap insurance crap.next the hotel test and go where you are likely to go to another hotel for 7 to  10 days and pay an outragious amt for that not needed stay.then you have got the visa and pass crap to deal with and no one at the embassy returns calls or e mails.and wanting you to pre buy all this crap and flight before you even get approved!!and they wonder why no ones coming??i know im not and i have been staying each year six months for past 18 years and spending over 800,000 baht each year!! so open up and stop the crazy notion of attracting only ''super weathey'' your money is in every day tourtist!!

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, farang said:

no wonder its dropping  as all these restrictions has totaly turned off any tourtist!!a big one is the crap insurance crap.next the hotel test and go where you are likely to go to another hotel for 7 to  10 days and pay an outragious amt for that not needed stay.then you have got the visa and pass crap to deal with and no one at the embassy returns calls or e mails.and wanting you to pre buy all this crap and flight before you even get approved!!and they wonder why no ones coming??i know im not and i have been staying each year six months for past 18 years and spending over 800,000 baht each year!! so open up and stop the crazy notion of attracting only ''super weathey'' your money is in every day tourtist!!

Surely you are wealthy if you could afford 3k GBP a month in 2004?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

Not surprising, but until Asia travels again for tourism, especially China, Thailand has to face a different reality.

Yes, Thailand needs China badly. In pre-Covid 2018 the receipts from China+HK themselves are equal to Europe+Entire American continent

https://www.mots.go.th/mots_en/News-link.php?nid=3627

https://www.mots.go.th/mots_en/more_news_new.php?cid=330&page=4

image.thumb.png.692a882bdf80aa9cee101cbf6857375b.png

Edited by Noble_Design
Add source
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Absolutely, and now they start to complain and whine about it due to the fact that strict rules and restrictions too many false positive asymptomatic or mild symptoms on incoming tourists and got sent to the hospital whether you like it or not by pointing a gun on you and later to be scammed and ripping you off at the same time by telling you that you have to pay upfront because your COVID-19 insurance not covered so expect to pay between B150K-B300K of 10 days of quarantine in a hospital. That's the reason why everybody going to Philippines or Cambodia, no restrictions on PCR tests within 48 hours of departure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cabra said:

the actual honest reporting of the results.

This is Thailand -- are you sure these are honest results  - not massaged to make it look better as is the usual case.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, palooka said:

This is Thailand -- are you sure these are honest results  - not massaged to make it look better as is the usual case.

Lol. Nothing is ever as it seems 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

Yes, Thailand needs China badly. In pre-Covid 2018 the receipts from China+HK themselves are equal to Europe+Entire American continent

https://www.mots.go.th/mots_en/News-link.php?nid=3627

https://www.mots.go.th/mots_en/more_news_new.php?cid=330&page=4

image.thumb.png.692a882bdf80aa9cee101cbf6857375b.png

Yes, seen those figures before, what they don't reflect is the tourists from Europe and the US tend to stay for two to three weeks at least, whereas the Asian tourists are mainly in Thailand on five day "shop till you drop" short trips. A serious question for the economists - given that the high spending by Asian tourists tends to be on high-end imported designer goods,  what is the comparitive net value to the country for the two groups?

Edited by Grumpish
Typo
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

Yes, seen those figures before, what they don't reflect is the tourists from Europe and the US tend to stay for two to three weeks at least, whereas the Asian tourists are mainly in Thailand on five day "shop till you drop" short trips. A serious question for the economists - given that the high spending by Asian tourists tends to be on high-end imported designer goods,  what is the competitive net value to the country for the two groups?

That figure does reflect the average length of stay of tourists from each region. It's on the second column. It is true that the average Asian tourists spends about 7 days in the kingdom while those from EU & US stay longer around 2-3 weeks but then again their spending  per day is also lower (third column). So Asian tourists shorter stays are more than offset by their higher spending per day and just the sheer volume of their tourists.

A serious question for the economists - given that the low spending by western tourists tends to be on low-end accommodations and  goods,  what is the competitive net value to the country for the two groups?

27 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

That figure does reflect the average length of stay of tourists from each region. It's on the second column. It is true that the average Asian tourists spends about 7 days in the kingdom while those from EU & US stay longer around 2-3 weeks but then again their spending  per day is also lower (third column). So Asian tourists shorter stays are more than offset by their higher spending per day and just the sheer volume of their tourists.

A serious question for the economists - given that the low spending by western tourists tends to be on low-end accommodations and  goods,  what is the competitive net value to the country for the two groups?

I see that you either failed to read, or failed to understand the question. An important part of the question is "imported goods". Where does the balance in actual value to the country lay between a European spending $100 a day on localy produced items, and an Asian spending $200 a day on imported items?

10 hours ago, ace035 said:

Absolutely, and now they start to complain and whine about it due to the fact that strict rules and restrictions too many false positive asymptomatic or mild symptoms on incoming tourists and got sent to the hospital whether you like it or not by pointing a gun on you and later to be scammed and ripping you off at the same time by telling you that you have to pay upfront because your COVID-19 insurance not covered so expect to pay between B150K-B300K of 10 days of quarantine in a hospital. That's the reason why everybody going to Philippines or Cambodia, no restrictions on PCR tests within 48 hours of departure.

So you're better off in the Philippines where every Tom, Dick and Harry points a gun at you?😀

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Grumpish said:

I see that you either failed to read, or failed to understand the question. An important part of the question is "imported goods". Where does the balance in actual value to the country lay between a European spending $100 a day on localy produced items, and an Asian spending $200 a day on imported items?

Where is the source that points to Asian tourists spending on imported products in Thailand?

Sounds about right, international arrival's by air are down about 80 percent if the airlines are to be believed.

Problem is although things are slowly picking up now another high season has been lost.

How many tourism related buissness can hang on until the next high season?

• Like 2

I’ll tell y’all what works. I just got back from Las Vegas and there communities are thriving. Just like here, in Dallas and other major cities in the USA. There entertainment Venus are thriving as well as there hotels attendance. There’s no pre COVID testing or on arrival testing. No mandated COVID insurance or other financial challenges blocking entry that cost as much as Thailand has made travelers spend - for a person or family to be on vacation. It’s about the money, mandates and other BS that’ goes along with it that’s deterring travel to Thailand. There even making it hard on their own people - sad. Who really wants to do all that? Not the majority,  I’ll tell you that based on your financial figures. We have learned to live with it that’s the difference just as other countries are doing. And yes mask mandates are still in affect when indoors. But who cares - we accepted it!! People have lost a lot all over the world this last 2 years. If countries around the globe are still imposing strict entry rules as Thailand is about spreading a virus that has become as normal now as the flu they will continue to plummet into financial and social disaster. The pandemic will be over when people just accept life the way it is and continue to move forward.

Thank You

Marvin

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I’ll tell y’all what works. I just got back from Las Vegas and there communities are thriving. Just like here, in Dallas and other major cities in the USA. There entertainment Venus are thriving as well as there hotels attendance. There’s no pre COVID testing or on arrival testing. No mandated COVID insurance or other financial challenges blocking entry that cost as much as Thailand has made travelers spend - for a person or family to be on vacation. It’s about the money, mandates and other BS that’ goes along with it that’s deterring travel to Thailand. There even making it hard on their own people - sad. Who really wants to do all that? Not the majority,  I’ll tell you that based on your financial figures. We have learned to live with it that’s the difference just as other countries are doing. And yes mask mandates are still in affect when indoors. But who cares - we accepted it!! People have lost a lot all over the world this last 2 years. If countries around the globe are still imposing strict entry rules as Thailand is about spreading a virus that has become as normal now as the flu they will continue to plummet into financial and social disaster. The pandemic will be over when people just accept life the way it is and continue to move forward.

Thank You

Marvin

2600 people per day are dying in America from covid(hint the flu doesn't have 2600 per day dying)

You can't really compare the biggest failing country in the world  in regards to covid as some model to follow as some sort of success......

• Like 4

wow, this is news....never would have thought that after the government start, stop, start, stop, maybe, hold, start...i am waiting for stop again.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

wow, this is news....never would have thought that after the government start, stop, start, stop, maybe, hold, start...i am waiting for stop again.

If the government don’t produce figures the conspiracy theorists start screaming fix, massaged figures, corruption, etc etc then when they do they’re lambasted by the conspiracy theorists! 

Every country had a different strategy with widely varying degrees of success, in terms of deaths then Thailand embarrassed the West, (on known figures) in terms of economics the West probably did better, time will tell on that one as massive debts need to be repaid. (The U.K. is about to enter a torrid year or two for personal finances) - I don’t know as a nation where Thailand stands on borrowings? It is levels of borrowings that will determine the speed of any bounce back. 

Also bearing in mind the anti vaxxers were a lead weight around the neck of all nations ability to respond well so strength of feeling in individual nations would have played a part too. 

I’m no fan of the junta (to head off the ‘apologist’ children) but what figures/reports would placate the doubters ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

Thank You

Marvin

And in the US, there are more deaths from omicron now than from Alpha. And far more than flu.

Whereas, Thailand's death rate is quite low. I wonder what the differences might be? Could it be the different approach perhaps, and not the tom yum gai? 

1 hour ago, Jambers said:

The Europeans expenditure will be a few times that value. I’d expect their spend in bars, remittance, fun time will not have been recorded!

That's in the plus column for Thais. 

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:
1 hour ago, Artemis080 said:

And in the US, there are more deaths from omicron now than from Alpha. And far more than flu.

Whereas, Thailand's death rate is quite low. I wonder what the differences might be? Could it be the different approach perhaps, and not the tom yum gai? 

Expand  

A lot of Americans have a detachment from reality

Can you imagine submitting the US as some sort of success story with 1mil dead and 260p more dying each day

Delusional 

But it's on par with gun violence 

A portion of Americans don't value life..

• Like 1