Jump to content

News Forum - Omicron stabilising, officials consider easing Covid-19 restrictions


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

While infections of the Omicron variant of Covid-19 have caused a sharp rise in the daily statistics, deaths and even hospitalisations have not been as affected, causing the Ministry of Public Health to call for an easing of Covid-19 restrictions. Numbers of fatalities, as well as those on ventilators and in ICUs still remain low, says Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul. Omicron is highly contagious, with some estimates saying 9 out of 10 exposed people will catch the virus, but the symptoms and effects are far less severe than the Delta variant. With spiking infection numbers causing mostly mild […]

The story Omicron stabilising, officials consider easing Covid-19 restrictions as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Among all the vaccines I have known in my life (diphtheria, tetanus,measles, rubella, chickenpox,hepatitis, meningitis and tuberculosis), I want to also add flu and pneumonia. I have never seen a vaccine that forced me to wear a mask and maintain my social distance, even when you are fully vaccinated. I had never heard of a vaccine that spreads the virus even after vaccination. I had never heard of rewards, discounts, incentives to get vaccinated. I never saw discrimination for those who didn't. If you haven't been vaccinated no one has tried to make you feel like a bad person. I have never seen a vaccine that threatens the relationship between family, colleagues and friends. I have never seen a vaccine used to threaten livelihoods, work or
school. I have never seen a vaccine that would allow a 12-year-old to override parental consent. After all the vaccines I listed above, I have never seen a vaccine like this one, which discriminates, divides and judges society as it is. And as the social fabric tightens… It's a powerful vaccine! She does all these things except IMMUNIZATION. If we still need a booster dose after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to get a negative test after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to wear a mask after we are fully vaccinated, and still be hospitalized after we have been fully vaccinated, it will likely come to “It's time for us to admit that we've been completely deceived.

 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have never seen a virus that spreads so quickly, has killed so many since the Spanish Flu after the Second World War (of course, I wasn't alive then, but my father was. He is still alive and relates accounts of what things were like back then). Some of the same techniques we use today, were used back then. Some the techniques we use today, we've developed since through human experience and trial and error. Vaccines in the past have been based on testing and so are the current ones on offer. This is a far superior situation to what my father and his generation faced. For them, there were no vaccines and so many people died. 

I do think the time will come when Covid becomes endemic. With Omicron spreading so quickly, but with less severe symptoms, maybe it is the variant that will see the end of Covid. The Spanish Flu did peter out and vanished into history. Vaccines have much better efficacy when compared to the annual flu shot. So to use an old saying "the race doesn't always go to the swiftest. The fight doesn't always go to the strongest. But you'd be a complete idiot, if you didn't bet that way!!!"

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nobusinessofurs said:

"Among all the vaccines I have known in my life (diphtheria, tetanus,measles, rubella, chickenpox,hepatitis, meningitis and tuberculosis), I want to also add flu and pneumonia. I have never seen a vaccine that forced me to wear a mask and maintain my social distance, even when you are fully vaccinated. I had never heard of a vaccine that spreads the virus even after vaccination. I had never heard of rewards, discounts, incentives to get vaccinated. I never saw discrimination for those who didn't. If you haven't been vaccinated no one has tried to make you feel like a bad person. I have never seen a vaccine that threatens the relationship between family, colleagues and friends. I have never seen a vaccine used to threaten livelihoods, work or
school. I have never seen a vaccine that would allow a 12-year-old to override parental consent. After all the vaccines I listed above, I have never seen a vaccine like this one, which discriminates, divides and judges society as it is. And as the social fabric tightens… It's a powerful vaccine! She does all these things except IMMUNIZATION. If we still need a booster dose after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to get a negative test after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to wear a mask after we are fully vaccinated, and still be hospitalized after we have been fully vaccinated, it will likely come to “It's time for us to admit that we've been completely deceived.

Nonsense, there hasn't been anything like COVID since the Spanish flu in the 1920s'. All of the the diseases you mentioned are not easily transmitted whereas COVID, like influenza, is airbound and transmitted very easily. And, as the number of deaths illustrates, it can be quite deadly.

As for vaccines, they do NOT prevent infection and onward transmission. They do prime the immune system to respond rapidly to infection and reduce or elliminate the viral load hence avoiding serious or lethal results.

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Consideration of the Omicron situation should of course be ongoing - but to decide to loosen restrictions now would be a serious leap into the dark IMO.

I have been amazed that Omicron has not driven the numbers of daily cases up much faster - for two weeks, daily cases have not been much above the 8K mark. It's surprising - we know how Omicron can increase exponentially - the other day the USA had 1.3 million cases, meaning maybe 2 million + infections.

We know, (moreorless) that this variant has milder symptoms for most but we also know, it spreads like wildfire. Maybe infections are not being reported as 'cases' because it's milder, maybe the figures just aren't picking up the numbers for other reasons, or maybe, Omicron has yet to get a hold.

But surely, it is coming - I hope not but why would Thailand be any different when Omicron has run riot in most countries ? IMO it's advisable to wait until the end of the month before any loosening . . . .

Edited by TorquayFan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The tourism high season is quickly coming to an end, so there is not much time to think about easing the restrictions.

The next high season will start in November, 11 months from now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I have never seen a virus that spreads so quickly, has killed so many since the Spanish Flu after the Second World War (of course, I wasn't alive then, but my father was. He is still alive and relates accounts of what things were like back then). Some of the same techniques we use today, were used back then. Some the techniques we use today, we've developed since through human experience and trial and error. Vaccines in the past have been based on testing and so are the current ones on offer. This is a far superior situation to what my father and his generation faced. For them, there were no vaccines and so many people died. 

I do think the time will come when Covid becomes endemic. With Omicron spreading so quickly, but with less severe symptoms, maybe it is the variant that will see the end of Covid. The Spanish Flu did peter out and vanished into history. Vaccines have much better efficacy when compared to the annual flu shot. So to use an old saying "the race doesn't always go to the swiftest. The fight doesn't always go to the strongest. But you'd be a complete idiot, if you didn't bet that way!!!"

Spanish flu 1918-22, after WW1. Doubt your father is aged 110 +

Agree with all else though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been followed by a few very wise comments, which I totally agree with. I confess, I was reluctant to comment further, because in some ways I hope things will stay the way they are in Thailand, but my reasons are a bit selfish, as I have at least booked to come there in March. I very much hope I still can. Covid has been very unpredictable in the past. We didn't know what would happen, we didn't know if vaccines would work. We tried everything....masks, safe distance from others, handwashing and vaccines when they came on the scene and could be distributed (which when you take a step back, was a huge undertaking). 

Omicron, is about to change all that. Please have a look at the situation in Australia right now as a guide for what is to come. 100,000 cases in a single day, in one of the most vaccinated countries in the world. Supply of goods under difficulty because of a lack of transport workers (caused by having to isolate after close contact). Health workers who are worn out and have to face an increase in hospitalisations. Not because Omicron is more deadly, but because it is more virulent and does cause death in those who have comorbities (across the age spectrum). 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nobusinessofurs said:

"Among all the vaccines I have known in my life (diphtheria, tetanus,measles, rubella, chickenpox,hepatitis, meningitis and tuberculosis), I want to also add flu and pneumonia. I have never seen a vaccine that forced me to wear a mask and maintain my social distance, even when you are fully vaccinated. I had never heard of a vaccine that spreads the virus even after vaccination. I had never heard of rewards, discounts, incentives to get vaccinated. I never saw discrimination for those who didn't. If you haven't been vaccinated no one has tried to make you feel like a bad person. I have never seen a vaccine that threatens the relationship between family, colleagues and friends. I have never seen a vaccine used to threaten livelihoods, work or
school. I have never seen a vaccine that would allow a 12-year-old to override parental consent. After all the vaccines I listed above, I have never seen a vaccine like this one, which discriminates, divides and judges society as it is. And as the social fabric tightens… It's a powerful vaccine! She does all these things except IMMUNIZATION. If we still need a booster dose after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to get a negative test after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to wear a mask after we are fully vaccinated, and still be hospitalized after we have been fully vaccinated, it will likely come to “It's time for us to admit that we've been completely deceived.

Do you actually have a problem wearing a mask during these trying times....?  🤔

My mum had to carry a bulky gas mask around for a very long time, I wonder if she complained, or did she think the authorities were thinking of her wellbeing....😋

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Disenfranchised said:

Nonsense, there hasn't been anything like COVID since the Spanish flu in the 1920s'. All of the the diseases you mentioned are not easily transmitted whereas COVID, like influenza, is airbound and transmitted very easily. And, as the number of deaths illustrates, it can be quite deadly.

As for vaccines, they do NOT prevent infection and onward transmission. They do prime the immune system to respond rapidly to infection and reduce or elliminate the viral load hence avoiding serious or lethal results.

Ebola...??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I have never seen a virus that spreads so quickly, has killed so many since the Spanish Flu after the Second World War (of course, I wasn't alive then, but my father was. He is still alive and relates accounts of what things were like back then). Some of the same techniques we use today, were used back then. Some the techniques we use today, we've developed since through human experience and trial and error. Vaccines in the past have been based on testing and so are the current ones on offer. This is a far superior situation to what my father and his generation faced. For them, there were no vaccines and so many people died. 

I do think the time will come when Covid becomes endemic. With Omicron spreading so quickly, but with less severe symptoms, maybe it is the variant that will see the end of Covid. The Spanish Flu did peter out and vanished into history. Vaccines have much better efficacy when compared to the annual flu shot. So to use an old saying "the race doesn't always go to the swiftest. The fight doesn't always go to the strongest. But you'd be a complete idiot, if you didn't bet that way!!!"

i find those who add  the word idiot in referring to anyone who doesn't agree with them ............. is usually an idiot

let's all try posting without idiot, everyone knows,  tin hats, conspiracy theorists, nut cases..... etc etc

i happen to think those who follow the mainstreet media ,  who WE ALL KNOW  are just paid pushers of the governments agenda..... are really ignorant.   But,  I would never say that in a post.  

as for betting.   well,  there are a lot more losers than winners in that shell game as well......

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Omicron, is about to change all that. Please have a look at the situation in Australia right now as a guide for what is to come. 100,000 cases in a single day, in one of the most vaccinated countries in the world.

Yep........ I could swear we were told that two doses of the vaccine and nobody would ever get covid .   I am sure it was even on all the TV stations .      oooooops

sure reminds me how things go when someone is charged with something in court.   if his story doesn't work.... he tries another one

aren't we on about the fourth or fifth "story"  now ?    ahhh,  who's counting.   Just believe those "experts"

Edited by ninja
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ninja said:

Yep........ I could swear we were told that two doses of the vaccine and nobody would ever get covid .   I am sure it was even on all the TV stations .      oooooops

sure reminds me how things go when someone is charged with something in court.   if his story doesn't work.... he tries another one

aren't we on about the fourth or fifth "story"  now ?    ahhh,  who's counting.   Just believe those "experts"

That was, I assume, before Delta and Omicron? At that time, the mRNA's did this job to 90+%, if I recall that right.  And 95+% effective against getting sick, ..., .....

Times are changing, viruses adapt, the vaccines not really. Till now.

And in the end, they admitted: Vaccination should just keep the heavy cases down!

Which is like aspirin before a heavy drinking night: Hoping for no headache in the morning. ;-)

Edited by Guest1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TorquayFan said:

Consideration of the Omicron situation should of course be ongoing - but to decide to loosen restrictions now would be a serious leap into the dark IMO.

I have been amazed that Omicron has not driven the numbers of daily cases up much faster - for two weeks, daily cases have not been much above the 8K mark. It's surprising - we know how Omicron can increase exponentially - the other day the USA had 1.3 million cases, meaning maybe 2 million + infections.

We know, (moreorless) that this variant has milder symptoms for most but we also know, it spreads like wildfire. Maybe infections are not being reported as 'cases' because it's milder, maybe the figures just aren't picking up the numbers for other reasons, or maybe, Omicron has yet to get a hold.

But surely, it is coming - I hope not but why would Thailand be any different when Omicron has run riot in most countries ? IMO it's advisable to wait until the end of the month before any loosening . . . .

You cannot even compare a rational county to the USA. 30 percent plus will not vaccinate for any reason  One city might have some restrictions then drive to the next town even there are none. Never any internal movement controls. Open hostility to any kind of rules or order. Hardly even discuss it on the news except right wing media telling people not to vaccinate. Then there are X factors not yet well studied affecting pandemic in different regions like genetics and resistance to corona viruses already existing.  Hard to explain how Thailand had so few deaths until Delta hope the Kingdom is spared the worst of this one too.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the plus side - regarding Thailand and it's current standing of entry programs. 

It might seem predictable to suggest that if the so called numbers are diminishing, the authorities might be changing up the entry program again. [???] The numbers are dipping considerably.....they might re-install the T&G program.

They were supposedly reviewing the suspension of T&G today, were they not? Whether or not to keep the TP project or revert to the 7-day quarantine [BKK] and bladdy Sandoxes. 

Faz - what's the update? Gonna keep the current way or redo the whole thing? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Disenfranchised said:

Nonsense, there hasn't been anything like COVID since the Spanish flu in the 1920s'. All of the the diseases you mentioned are not easily transmitted whereas COVID, like influenza, is airbound and transmitted very easily. And, as the number of deaths illustrates, it can be quite deadly.

As for vaccines, they do NOT prevent infection and onward transmission. They do prime the immune system to respond rapidly to infection and reduce or elliminate the viral load hence avoiding serious or lethal results.

Nonsense Dr. Disenfranchised, you'd be best to refrain from speaking about which you know nothing about. In every sense my post is true and correct. You, I and everyone on this Earth have been played.  Do I need to post actual words from politicians the World over about how getting vaccinated will stop the spread and deaths.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Mamachigawa said:

You cannot even compare a rational county to the USA. 30 percent plus will not vaccinate for any reason  One city might have some restrictions then drive to the next town even there are none. Never any internal movement controls. Open hostility to any kind of rules or order. Hardly even discuss it on the news except right wing media telling people not to vaccinate. Then there are X factors not yet well studied affecting pandemic in different regions like genetics and resistance to corona viruses already existing.  Hard to explain how Thailand had so few deaths until Delta hope the Kingdom is spared the worst of this one too.

Please provide the actual quotes of as you call rightwing news saying not too vaccinate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, nobusinessofurs said:

Nonsense Dr. Disenfranchised, you'd be best to refrain from speaking about which you know nothing about. In every sense my post is true and correct. You, I and everyone on this Earth have been played.  Do I need to post actual words from politicians the World over about how getting vaccinated will stop the spread and deaths.

I'd like to see them, please.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Transam said:

Do you actually have a problem wearing a mask during these trying times....?  🤔

My mum had to carry a bulky gas mask around for a very long time, I wonder if she complained, or did she think the authorities were thinking of her wellbeing....😋

There you go assuming I'm a anti masker and or anti vaccination, you must be a liberal.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

That was, I assume, before Delta and Omicron?

well ,  the smart experts ( the ones that were burned at the stake and called crazy)  said from the start that the so called "vaccine"  was not going to get rid of covid.     and, even said that it would cause VARIANTS to emerge from THOSE VACCINAteD...... because you see,  if you don't eradicate it (as the mainstreet people said it would do) .....then you open the door for these variants

Don't take my word for it .   Just search the very hard (censored) sights that will give evidence to what I just wrote.     Just as ......... ,  and ........... ,  said that if you take the shot you WILL NOT get covid ,   and you WILL NOT pass it on   (all on CNN and all other big platforms) 

there were people who predicted what is happening now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Paco said:

Easing restrictions.. Yaya again for phuket and bangkok that is.. what a bullshit

For the areas with the highest per head infection ratio. Sounds like a good plan, or not? 

Phuket with still over 400/day, but not even a million people on the Island. Bangkok, 9 or 14 million, but just 7-800 new, daily tested as infected 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

For the areas with the highest per head infection ratio. Sounds like a good plan, or not? 

Phuket with still over 400/day, but not even a million people on the Island. Bangkok, 9 or 14 million, but just 7-800 new, daily tested as infected 

Many places have 10-30 infections never anything was made easier, all entertainment etc closed since 1.5 year and I live in Chiang rai  so imagine what a load of crap they stating again 

 

It is all such a bullshit you can walk into an overcrowded market or Makro, but you can not go to sit somewhere and drink something with some friends...

 

Phuket 420 4,493

Party all you want  

Chiang Rai 44 482  closed 

DOES THAT MAKE SENSE??? what a joke

Seems all officials have money in phuket and Bangkok and earning well the clowns

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, ninja said:

well ,  the smart experts ( the ones that were burned at the stake and called crazy)  said from the start that the so called "vaccine"  was not going to get rid of covid.     and, even said that it would cause VARIANTS to emerge from THOSE VACCINAteD...... because you see,  if you don't eradicate it (as the mainstreet people said it would do) .....then you open the door for these variants

Don't take my word for it .   Just search the very hard (censored) sights that will give evidence to what I just wrote.     Just as ......... ,  and ........... ,  said that if you take the shot you WILL NOT get covid ,   and you WILL NOT pass it on   (all on CNN and all other big platforms) 

there were people who predicted what is happening now.

Yeah. And yet still just a few are paying attention to the realities of this highly manufactured mess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Faz locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use