Thai nationality for foreign women

I got this off of the World Health Organization website: “Thailand’s Nationality Act of 1965 was based on the traditional concept that recognized the man as the head of the family. “A Thai woman married to an alien does not have the right to automatically confer Thai nationality on her alien spouse. In order to become a Thai national, the husband must go through the whole complex process of naturalization and abandon his original nationality. “In contrast, alien women married to Thai men can simply apply to the Ministry of Interior to obtain Thai nationality. No specific qualifications are required and they need not abandon their original nationality (104; 12-12).” Is this true? foreign women are not required to abandon their original nationality in order to get Thai citizenship? My wife is foreign and we have been married 14 years. Is she eligible? Would she lose her original nationality or not? Some clarification on this issue would be great.

Anupong Kongmun, Koh Pha Ngan.

Add Comment
1 Answer(s)

t’s not true. A foreign woman is required to abandon her original nationality when approved for Thai nationality. She may apply for Thai nationality if: * You have been married for three years without having children, or * You have a child or children and have been married for at least 18 months. To hold Thai nationality, she must abandon her original nationality. She can submit an application and documents to apply for Thai nationality at a Provincial Police Station in the province where you are living. The application fee is 5 baht. The required documents are: * Her passport and copies of every page that has stamps on it; * The marriage certificate; * Your birth certificate; * Your house registration document * A temporary house registration document for her (called a Tor Ror 13, which can be obtained from the local District Office); * Your ID card; * Your military service certificates (Sor Dor 8 and 9); * If your parents are dead, their death certificates; * 12 two-inch photos each of your and your wife; * Birth certificates for any children you have together; * Letter from your employer or other documents to certify that you have income of at least 30,000 baht a month; * Your income tax payment receipt for the past year; Note that the spelling of names and surnames in the house registration, ID card and all documents must be accurate and identical. If there have been any changes in names or surnames, these changes must be backed by official documentation.

Pol Sen Sgt Maj Suraphan Suphachaiwat, Special Branch Division 2, Central Bureau of Investigation, Royal Thai Police, Bangkok.

Answered on October 30, 2003.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.