News Forum - What is life like in Thailand right now? | GMT

Thaiger

22 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i don't eat in any of those places but my girlfriend loves Swenson's. Pint of Lime Sherbet in the frig right now. i hope see comes back.    

When I am in Thailand, I like to be up and out all day, wandering around

So in that heat, after hours of wandering...........Swenson's AC and very expensive ice cream hits the spot!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Great place to live for sure - except for all the things being closed in the big cities (which we loved).  Not such a good idea to visit it for a short holiday though.   A 2-3 months holiday would be fantastic - with planning for a possible 7-14 day break for a quarantine or treatment - wish I could do it right now.  Just the thought of 'no Chinese' everywhere makes me jealous of those living there now.  Pity about the smoke season starting right now up north - but down south would be good.  I know a bloke living on Phuket and he reckons it is great, except for the bars being closed (well mostly closed). 

Most years we'd be in the middle of the smoky season, but this year so far has been OK.  Allergies is another problem, but the skies are clear and blue. 

If we want the big city stuff it's 2-3 hours away, but because of covid we've stayed close to home.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, riclag said:

Well the young lady of the house and myself were looking forward to our Friday and or Saturday night out at Derm Sook  and Happy Nights bar and restaurant with live music!.Unfortunately they stopped again.

It seems like a long time ago since we were there last .

Looking forward to the beach in the near future  and the Usa in 2023 without any hoops to jump through coming back to Thailand !

Where do you go to the beach? I'd like to go but not to tourist infested places with all the associated problems. The US in 2023 could be very interested because of elections. You need to plan so that you can avoid it or if you're interested.

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

When I am in Thailand, I like to be up and out all day, wandering around

So in that heat, after hours of wandering...........Swenson's AC and very expensive ice cream hits the spot!

Swensons is pretty good

31 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Where do you go to the beach? I'd like to go but not to tourist infested places with all the associated problems. The US in 2023 could be very interested because of elections. You need to plan so that you can avoid it or if you're interested.

For me 

The best non-touristy beaches all the ones south of Hua Hin, down to Surat Thani

You can usually get great rates for a nice resort

Nice beaches, not many tourists at all.

And if you want some farang exposure, there are some farang bars/hotels here and there 

• Like 1

I live in rural area south of Prachuap, for me little change from COVID start till now

We can drink beer in local shops in both village and Prachuap and of course on  beach without any problems

Local restaurants open as  normal  i presume  they can serve beer 

Mask wearing required  in town or shops, relaxed elsewhere

Big changes in cost of living most things big increases

Edited by poohy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

For me 

The best non-touristy beaches all the ones south of Hua Hin, down to Surat Thani

And if you want some farang exposure, there are some farang bars/hotels here and there 

Thanks, don't really need falong exposure, if they are drunks or mongers. I do like to meet local people though. 

56 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Thanks, don't really need falong exposure, if they are drunks or mongers. I do like to meet local people though. 

Let me ask you a question?

I don't know where you are located 

But would you go out and meet local Thais you don't know on a night out?

I've neve done that and don't see Thais doing that either 

I've only see Thais go out with their family or group of friends and stay with them

Whereas farangs seem more likely to meet people out and hang out

All my times out in local places in Thailand 

I can't remember one time that the Thais I were with spoke to other Thais that weren't in their group

I never thought of that until now.....

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

For me 

Sounds terribly civilised and stimulating - exposure to Farang and their momentous company. 

Appears that's what many only know. 

Some might pass on this invitation. 

5 hours ago, DesperateOldHand said:

Sounds terribly civilised and stimulating - exposure to Farang and their momentous company. 

Appears that's what many only know. 

Some might pass on this invitation. 

For me

I like having a chat and a beer with q desperate old hand   😀

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1