News Forum - Australian government mulls deportation of unvaccinated tennis star Djokovic after judge orders his release

Thaiger

25 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Border Patrol has the final say on who or what constitutes an unacceptable risk and they have decided to err on the side of caution. I hope Border Patrol stick to their guns, re-arrest and deport him so as to continue to send the message that the well-being of the nation is more important than the wants of an individual. 

Border Farce refused entry, he challenged it in Australia's highest Court and won on legal merit. So, no, they don't.

22 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

Border Farce refused entry, he challenged it in Australia's highest Court and won on legal merit. So, no, they don't.

Oh yes they do. ABF can re-arrest him right now if they wish. And the Immigration department is, at this very moment, deciding whether to allow him to stay in Australia. 

Live updates on abc.net.au

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-11/novak-djokovic-tennis-australia-immigration-border-force/100748954

Edited by Fanta
Added Live update link

Australia used to be a wonderful freedom loving country, I’ve visited several times since the 80’s and done business in Sydney. I’ve always admired the good natured irreverent, independent spirit of the people. What has amazed me is how they happily fell under the Covid yoke and almost welcomed the draconian measures imposed upon them by what has turned out to be a tyrannical regime. It’s difficult to believe that politicians  such as Dan Andrews, the corrupt Gladys Berejerkoff and the fanatic spittle showering Michael Gunner could have ever been elected to power by a sane population. The psychological warfare waged by the authorities on their citizens has rendered many Australians a mere shadow of their former selves, manifesting itself in some cases in xenophobia and a strange belief that they are the most important people in the world. What distressed me most has been the treatment of a very law abiding public by the Police, criminal charge should be brought in  many cases against officers brutally arresting people, in some cases women and the elderly. So when I heard that Djokovic had won his case (after he had done all that was required of him)  I thought good on you .. this could be a very small nail in the coffin of a vicious and corrupt government.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CharlesW said:

Australia used to be a wonderful freedom loving country, I’ve visited several times since the 80’s and done business in Sydney. I’ve always admired the good natured irreverent, independent spirit of the people. What has amazed me is how they happily fell under the Covid yoke and almost welcomed the draconian measures imposed upon them by what has turned out to be a tyrannical regime. It’s difficult to believe that politicians  such as Dan Andrews, the corrupt Gladys Berejerkoff and the fanatic spittle showering Michael Gunner could have ever been elected to power by a sane population. The psychological warfare waged by the authorities on their citizens has rendered many Australians a mere shadow of their former selves, manifesting itself in some cases in xenophobia and a strange belief that they are the most important people in the world. What distressed me most has been the treatment of a very law abiding public by the Police, criminal charge should be brought in  many cases against officers brutally arresting people, in some cases women and the elderly. So when I heard that Djokovic had won his case (after he had done all that was required of him)  I thought good on you .. this could be a very small nail in the coffin of a vicious and corrupt government.

Great post and correct in every detail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Artemis080 said:

Wrong.  He challenged it in the local Victorian Federal and Family Court - not the Supreme Court. The Minister is deciding what to do next, because a 'procedural' appeal to Supreme Court will take weeks.  If you did not know, the reason he was released was 'procedural'. The Officer did not give him the due time deeemed necesaary to present his case for being allowed entry. He was supposed to have been given until 8.30am (3 hours) but the Officer/s jumped the gun and took him into custody at 7.42am.  The fact that he agreed for this to happen, was dismissed by his lawyers who claimed he was 'under duress' and the Judge agreed. Therefore, IMO take him back to the airport and give him his +45 minutes to prove his case for admission - and then deport him.

The Minister is deciding today whether to revoke his Visa and deport him anyway.  I think he should for deported many reasons - number one is that decisions related to Immigration are not matters that should be decided by a local Judge with NIL expertise in Immigration laws and their policing. 

None of this is Djokovic's fault. He was refused entry months ago because he refused vaccinations. Tennis Aust and the Vic Govt decided to support him (money) and they 'approved' his application based on medical reasons - he had previously contracted Covid (allegedly). But that exemption is only available for returning Citizens - and he aint an Aust Citizen and that was why the Officer correctly denied him entry.  My understanding is that his 'proof' of having Covid was also very dubious - no acceptable documenttation was provided.   But the Judge overlooked all that because Djokovic did not get his extra 45 minutes to argue his case.

Meanwhile a female player on the same flight and using the same 'claim' was also detained, and has already been deported. She did not have the money and a legal team prepared and ready, in case she was denied entry.

Through him out !!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Easterneye said:

Another dirty entitled who thinks his shit don’t stink

Nobody said you cannot be a tennis star but the title will not fall from the sky! 

On 1/10/2022 at 6:53 PM, Beaconofdarkness said:

This court ruling is an insult to every law abiding Australien, they have suffered enough through lockdowns and isolation. Yet this arrogant Serb appears to be above Australien law. He should be imediately deported together with that bigoted judge who made the decision to permit him to stay. I will not be surprised if there now are major demenstrations in disdain of this unrighteous decision.  

Every single friend, friend of a friend and relatives of friends are totally pissed at the judge, some of them waited the full extent of the covid outbreak before family members could see each other, some even lost family and missed funerals etc, nice going judge fairy pants!

12 minutes ago, Mandy said:

Every single friend, friend of a friend and relatives of friends are totally pissed at the judge, some of them waited the full extent of the covid outbreak before family members could see each other, some even lost family and missed funerals etc, nice going judge fairy pants!

Yeah, that'll do it!!

3 hours ago, CharlesW said:

Australia used to be a wonderful freedom loving country,

It still is regardless of what tourists and armchair critics such as yourself think. Don’t like it? Don’t go! And please don’t you act all offended when we tell you where to go because we’re just exercising our freedom of speech in our wonderful country. Kick the tennis player out. After all, Australia is all about equality and what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. The alternative is to let every unvaccinated foreigner into the country and there goes out admirably low mortality and vaccination rates.  btw: xenophobia means an irrational hatred of another country’s people and that’s just not us, mate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Wrong.  He challenged it in the local Victorian Federal and Family Court - not the Supreme Court. The Minister is deciding what to do next, because a 'procedural' appeal to Supreme Court will take weeks.  If you did not know, the reason he was released was 'procedural'.

You are quite right. My apologies, the Federal Circuit Court.

I don't agree he should be deported. It would only serve to reinforce the perception that Australia is morphing into some authoritarian dystopia, and achieves nothing in real terms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mandy said:

"Why should he be an exception, we all suffered from stupid lockdowns and quarantines, he should suffer too!"

Australians are into some serious mental BDSM! Govern me harder, daddy! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Jcamry1 said:

Not so. My brother in Scotland has had it twice

In early outbreaks in the US some groups were found to have been infected multiple times by different strains. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Artemis080 said:

You are quite right. My apologies, the Federal Circuit Court.

I don't agree he should be deported. It would only serve to reinforce the perception that Australia is morphing into some authoritarian dystopia, and achieves nothing in real terms.

Thanks mate - it was all 'technical'.  I hear your point - but a Serbian girl on the same flight as Novaxx got deported making the same claim (medical exception) - why is he not also treated the same? Dont answer I know - he is the draw card and both Tennis Australia and Vic Govt want him to stay (for business reasons). 

More and more the rules about this pandemic are being 'abused' for business reasons. I am beginning to think it is time to call the whole thing off (as per my other posts). 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CharlesW said:

The problem is that what Djocovic understands as hs freedom endangers/diminues the freedom of other people.
Freedom to be healthy, of movement...
If a country installs temporally rules to keep covid infections to a minimum, everybody has to follow them.
Djocovic NEVER cared about rules: organising a tournament where a lot of people were infected, being covid positive frequenting other people... quarantaine is the best place for him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

Less than 230 under 50 died and the average age was 82.

Yes because of the lockdown measures taken. If we listened to people like you that figure would be massively worse.

7 hours ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

The all cause mortality per 100 000 for year 2020 in Sweden was about the same as in 2011-2013 when nothing special happened.

Look at how Swedens figures compare with its closest neighbours like Norway, Finland and Denmark.

Still think Sweden had the right idea by waiting till too late to introduce its own lockdown measures? And YES Sweden was eventually forced to lockdown and indeed is currently locked down.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fanta said:

Bollocks. The rest of your rant is even worse. Who hurt you? 

Bollocks ? A very "British" expression so I will not pursue debate with a person entrapped in colonialist attitudinal ignorance. And....Happy New year ! lol

On 1/10/2022 at 11:23 AM, Shade_Wilder said:

“What more could this man have done?”

Gotten vaccinated or stayed home; he is a risk to others.

It is true that deciding whether or not to get a shot is a personal choice, but there are also consequences of not doing your part for the rest of humanity.

Suck it up.

These people ride on the backs of the rest of us.

The decent majority of us have the vaccines, at the end of it all we come out of it, the unvaccinated then spout their usual rubbish of , "see the virus wasn't that bad was it".

Can you imagine the state of things if we all said we do not want to take one. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CharlesW said:

This must be the DNA of the prisoner guards what came up now or how is it possible to make Australia to a prisoner Island again? 

Note from Moderators

Multiple posts and their replies have been removed as unrelated to the topic under discussion. 

Excess deaths etc in the USA have no connection whatsoever with the entry of a non-American into Australia!

23 hours ago, CharlesW said:

Australia has become since the 80s a Corporate Nanny State - the ultimate form of rule, whereby the people now accept that the Govt should run their lives.  As an old wise guy once told me many decades ago :- Whenever you give the Govt control and responsibility over any part of your life - they will fight not to give it back.  Likewise, whenever they introduce a new tax, they will never remove it (just rename it).

People have forgotten or dont care anymore - it is not the politicians who actually run things - they come and go - it is the Public Service that actually runs things, and they love control and taxes and no accountability.  As Reagan said about the Public Service :-  'They are like a baby - voracious appetite at one end, and nil accountability at the other'.   They will never grow up - the more you feed them, the worse they get - the only solution is to keep them as small as possible (or remove them whenever you can). 

Australia failed to listen to the lessons of the past - and it is now the ultimate Feministic Fascist Nanny State.  That is why I want to leave, and why so many other older blokes have, and many more will leave too.  I see a lot of similarity in UK, Germany and Scandinavian countries - Feministic Fascist Nanny States parading as Democracies. China is trying to become like that too - without the Feminists and all the other minority groups who have too much say in things. 

• Thanks 1