News Forum - “Ghost ship” found off Thailand coast, Navy investigates abandoned Chinese vessel

Thaiger

What many are calling a “ghost ship” was found sinking in the Gulf of Thailand off the coast of Nakhon Si Thammarat. The abandoned Chinese cargo ship was spotted by staff working at an offshore oil rig. No one was on board the vessel. The staff at the Chevron rigs reported the vessel to the 2nd Naval Area Command in the southern province Songkhla. The investigation was then immediately launched by authorities, sending off a drone to find out whether they could tow the ship to land at Pak Nam Tapi in Surat Thani’s Muang district. But strong winds caused […]

The story “Ghost ship” found off Thailand coast, Navy investigates abandoned Chinese vessel as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

More Chinese junk cast adrift to pollute Thailand. Maybe China needs to come and clean up their own mess. Time to name and shame. The ship was abandoned....by crew...and China is responsible. The ship was registered, so it's easy to find the owners. Thailand should prosecute the offenders for the full cost of damages to it's natural assets and the cleanup.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jason said:

More Chinese junk cast adrift to pollute Thailand. Maybe China needs to come and clean up their own mess. Time to name and shame. The ship was abandoned....by crew...and China is responsible. The ship was registered, so it's easy to find the owners. Thailand should prosecute the offenders for the full cost of damages to it's natural assets and the cleanup.

This sounds like a job for a superhero, one with a perfect conscience, who never fails to make everyone feel inadequate. Off you go, my son!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

More Chinese junk cast adrift to pollute Thailand

That looked nothing like a Chinese Junk. Doesn’t have any sails!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Jason said:

The ship was registered, so it's easy to find the owners. Thailand should prosecute the offenders for the full cost of damages to it's natural assets and the cleanup.

Easier said than done.
If you think it is easy to finde the owners, you can be wrong.
M whole carreer was in the shipping business, working at sea and in a port, and sometimes it is difficult to trace the owners of a ship, certainly if they don't want to be found and held responsible for dammage (or paying taxes or for another reason).
Furthermore, there is something like "limitation of liability" in maritime law. Also abandon can be claimed.

The owner is China.....it's a Chinese ship....no so hard. I respect your experience of maritime matters. Time to bring China to account. Let them find the culprits. It should not be the responsibility of Thailand to clean up the mess. 

2 hours ago, Poolie said:

This sounds like a job for a superhero, one with a perfect conscience, who never fails to make everyone feel inadequate. Off you go, my son!!

.????  Poolie....you're pissed again. I'm no superhero....I don't have a perfect conscience....I don't make anyone feel inadequate...and I'm too old to be your son!!! But I do get annoyed when China, or a shipping company owned by China, abandons a ship still containing hazardous substances that will destroy Thailand's or any country's natural environment! There is a huge difference between abandoning a ship and scuttling a ship. The later involves stripping it of any contaminants that harm the environment, so it can become a haven for coral and fish and will eventually dissolve.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Poolie said:

Especially applies when engaging with imaginary boogiemen.

• Like 1

I remember buying something from China which was totally different than what the picture showed. 

Is this maybe the delivery of the submarine they have bought from China? 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Jason said:

.????  Poolie....you're pissed again. I'm no superhero....I don't have a perfect conscience....I don't make anyone feel inadequate...and I'm too old to be your son!!! But I do get annoyed when China, or a shipping company owned by China, abandons a ship still containing hazardous substances that will destroy Thailand's or any country's natural environment! There is a huge difference between abandoning a ship and scuttling a ship. The later involves stripping it of any contaminants that harm the environment, so it can become a haven for coral and fish and will eventually dissolve.

I dont drink.

Let's hope this ship can be towed without too much harm to the sea creatures. I'd like to think they can track down the owners of the ship, but collecting reimbursement might be a challenge. 

1 hour ago, JoeUpinBuriram said:

Let's hope this ship can be towed without too much harm to the sea creatures. I'd like to think they can track down the owners of the ship, but collecting reimbursement might be a challenge. 

It sunk already and is leaking oil. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

It sunk already and is leaking oil. 

Damn! We still are missing the picture bigger picture.

We continue to destroy everything.

2 minutes ago, DesperateOldHand said:

Damn! We still are missing the picture bigger picture.

We continue to destroy everything.

Let’s hope it doesn’t have much on it or in it that can’t be controlled easily. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jason said:

The owner is China.....it's a Chinese ship....no so hard. I respect your experience of maritime matters. Time to bring China to account. Let them find the culprits. It should not be the responsibility of Thailand to clean up the mess. 

Unfortunately there is something called "maritime law".
So, try to find the owner, try to find the P&I Club, check if it is not declared abandonment or "limitation of liability" is invoked.
I had a few such cases as harbour master in an European port and I can tell you "good luck".

10 hours ago, Jason said:

Finding out who actually owns most merchant ship is close to impossible.even if you could find them they would just put the company into voluntary liquidation and disappear.

There is as much chance of getting china to pay up for the damage this ship has done as getting them to pay up for all the covid damage worldwide.

11 hours ago, Poolie said:

Jason and the Argonauts! :)

You could always refloat it and tow it back to a Chinese port....then cut it lose for the waves to take it in and beach it. Just put a large sign saying "we believe this is yours!"