Thai Bank account ATM/debit card

Bluesofa

Have the rules changed regarding ferangs and ATM/debit cards?

I have (amongst others) a Bangkok Bank savings account. A friend opened one a couple of years ago at the same branch I have my account. I have the pleasure of paying 300B/year for my card.
He asked about an ATM card recently. The staff told him he couldn't have one, being a foreigner.
Is that correct or just more misinformation?

• Like 1

I recently got a new debit card, paying for it, of course, from BB.

I have also heard that new foreigner accounts aren't allowed to do online banking with the app.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Faraday said:

I recently got a new debit card, paying for it, of course, from BB.

I have also heard that new foreigner accounts aren't allowed to do online banking with the app.

Interesting.

Why are the government ( I assume it's them, rather than the banks) doing all this?

PayPal accounts in Thailand are about to be restricted by the Thai government.
For ten years I have made a regular payment by PayPal for a US internet hosting account, which I soon will be no longer able to do practically.
I am in the process of setting up payment using the Bangkok Bank account. I made a small test payment by debit card for something which was refused. The card works fine normally.

I contacted Bangkok Bank, who said I needed to authorise 'international use' for my debit card, not just domestic use. They said they would do it, and a few hours later the test payment was successful.
I'm just hoping the regular payment to the US works OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Have the rules changed regarding ferangs and ATM/debit cards?

I believe this is already a longer on-going thing with just more and more banks picking up on this.
I recently (yesterday) asked Krungthai if it was an option to open a Bank account for my mom (as she not here yet) and they said even with tourist visa can because understand it's for the Non-O eventually.

• Like 2