News Forum - Bars and nightclubs can reopen on January 16… but as restaurants

Thaiger

After being closed for nine months, bars, karaoke venues, and nightclubs will be able to open temporarily as “restaurants” starting on January 16. And most won’t be allowed to serve booze (legally). As a New Year’s gift, the Thai government gave restaurants and approved venues across the country a free pass to serve booze the night of December 31 until 1am on January 1. But that was just for the night. With an uptick in Covid-19 cases after the holiday, restrictions are tightening. Starting January 9, all but eight provinces will be classified as “orange” zones with a ban on alcohol […]

The story Bars and nightclubs can reopen on January 16… but as restaurants as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

As I said elsewhere, way betond farcical - the "blue" zones (Bangkok, Phuket, Chonburi) are the ones worst affected by Covid but the only ones allowed to serve alcohol!

• Like 4

"Today, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration approved the reopening of bars, karaoke venues, and nightclubs [starting on January 16] under the premise that they would operate as restaurants"

One thing is for sure, the CCSA is not operating under the premise of logic and reason. It's going to be interesting to see how this unfolds, collapses and eventually gets worked out. Presumably go-go bars get the same opportunity to “strictly exercise Covid Free Setting measures” and open as restaurants.

Reminds me of when pubs in the UK could open as long as they served food. 

As one barman told me, as long as you've got a chip on your plate, you can stay here all day 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Less covid in the blue zones if no alcohol after 9pm, brilliant,  but no test and go after January 15, so no one comes, and if you get covid, you're still going into a hospital or a hospitEl for 10 days....country gov. has excelled again, couldn't make it up....get me out of here, hahaha

11 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

100 baht for the first person who can correctly ID this business in the article's photo. 

closed-bar.jpg

Looks like Toy Bar Soi Cowboy Bangkok  555

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Looks like Toy Bar Soi Cowboy Bangkok  555

congratulations! you win the 100 baht prize. 

and now for the grand prize answer this question: 

which one of those chairs do i usually sit on? 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

The sticky one?I will pm you my account number.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Will guess the first one.   

I would choose one of the two upright chrome ones as they have a proper foot rest.

I will tip my regular lovely an extra 100 baht in your honor.

• Like 1

This is really an early April Fool's joke!  The government of Thailand is panicking the whole country, but allows travel during the holidays despite Omicron and is now opening bars and co. with the premise of acting as a restaurant!?  Do they even think about it before they act? Man, I am glad I canceled my trip at the end of January.  I'm waiting for the headline: "Thailand is considering another lockdown". There are many countries in which incompetent politicians operate, but Thailand still puts the "crown" on it all!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SkylineGTR82 said:

This is really an early April Fool's joke!  The government of Thailand is panicking the whole country, but allows travel during the holidays despite Omicron and is now opening bars and co. with the premise of acting as a restaurant!?  Do they even think about it before they act? Man, I am glad I canceled my trip at the end of January.  I'm waiting for the headline: "Thailand is considering another lockdown". There are many countries in which incompetent politicians operate, but Thailand still puts the "crown" on it all!

Missing you already!! 😄

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

After being closed for nine months, bars, karaoke venues, and nightclubs will be able to open temporarily as “restaurants”

Beaver on toast breakfast please .. with melon's for dessert .. 

• Haha 3

Great. So in provinces with 50-100 times less infections than Chon Buri we can't have a drink with our meals.

The corruption displayed to allow hi so/police owned restaraunts in Chon Buri to serve alcohol is mind boggling.

All this will do is force drinkers into shuttered up bars with even less ventilation than usual.

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

The one thats upside down.

17 hours ago, SkylineGTR82 said:

The government of Thailand is panicking the whole country, but allows travel during the holidays despite Omicron

Omicron is the mild variant that will end Covid.  Get your shots and no worries.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/top-virologist-explains-reduced-potency-of-omicron-infections

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/thailand-to-achieve-herd-immunity-from-omicron-coronavirus-variant-soon-385257

Edited by ExpatPattaya

2 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

until the next variant magically appears and a 4th shot is "recommended"... you heard it here first

There is a fourth variant .....emerging out of France..... 

I think maybe 7/11 and Family Mart are about to do well on takeaway alcohol....again.