News Forum - Surat Thani islands, Krabi, Phang Nga approved for Sandbox scheme starting January 11

Thaiger

With the Test & Go quarantine exemption scheme suspended indefinitely, more areas have been approved to welcome travellers under the Sandbox programme, which allows those who are fully vaccinated to enter and stay in a designated area or province rather than undergoing quarantine at a hotel or facility. Starting January 11, travellers can register to enter Thailand through the Sandbox schemes in Krabi, Phang Nga, or the Surat Thani islands of Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, and Koh Tao. Registration to enter Thailand under the Sandbox programme, with the exception of the Phuket Sandbox, was suspended last month. But following a […]

The story Surat Thani islands, Krabi, Phang Nga approved for Sandbox scheme starting January 11 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Truly intriguing bureaucratic moves here, with most of the rest of Thailand being reminded - ever so politely by the PTB - to observe stricter anti-Covid measures. A governmental conflict of interests . . . or what?

If they cancel all those test and go approved thailand passes after jan 15, I would not trust to book anything in the near future to thailand.  They can easily cancel your approved trip and will be hard for you to get refunded or rebooked. 

I wonder how to travel to Samui, if domestic flights (BKK transit) are not allowed. 🤔

Not to speak of Phangan, which has not even one single  SHA++ hotel.

Edited by Markupilami

20 minutes ago, Markupilami said:

I wonder how to travel to Samui, if domestic flights (BKK transit) are not allowed. 🤔

My thoughts exactly but maybe they will open for transit in BKK now 

I would assume they would have to

Which would be very welcoming news 

This still does not answer the logistics on how people travel to these provinces ,when there are no direct flights.  So for example in order to get to Koh Tao you would need to take a coach or bus from Bangkok and then take a ferry to the island.  So my biggest question is what routes have been agreed or have they walked away from this meeting without having had a logistical discussion.

58 minutes ago, Markupilami said:

There's no point in there being one in Phangan. The rules were that you had to stay in your SHA+ hotel for 7 nights, the same hotel. 

Seeing how you'd have to fly into Samui you're stuck there anyway. 

Plus, Surat is an orange zone so you can't have a drink there either unless there are special rules for the islands. 

They can't seriously imagine anyone will come for a dry holiday can they?

I'm based in the Gulf so I'm familiar with dry countries, but even there people like to get wasted when they travel 

1 hour ago, King Cotton said:

Truly intriguing bureaucratic moves here, with most of the rest of Thailand being reminded - ever so politely by the PTB - to observe stricter anti-Covid measures. A governmental conflict of interests . . . or what?

I’m sure we need Sir Humphrey to explain it to us, and Baldrick to let us know what the Thai Governments cunning plan is …. 

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, Markupilami said:

Trust me, to become a SHT+ Hotel needs just a pen and a piece of paper!

1 hour ago, Markupilami said:

Samui? Aren't there direct flights from Singapore, right now?

(Appology for 2.posts for usually one answer. Sorry)

Edited by Guest1

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

There's no point in there being one in Phangan. The rules were that you had to stay in your SHA+ hotel for 7 nights, the same hotel. 

Seeing how you'd have to fly into Samui you're stuck there anyway. 

Well, at least they said that all three islands are covered by the entry scheme, so I guess there will be possibilities. 

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

Trust me, to become a SHT+ Hotel needs just a pen and a piece of paper!

maybe, if you are a hotel.

I am currently planning with private villas. They even told them to change their building permit and to gain a hotel license for receiving a SHA+ certification... 

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

Samui? Aren't there direct flights from Singapore, right now?

(Appology for 2.posts for usually one answer. Sorry)

Yes, there are.

Currently the only way to enter Samui or staying one week in Phuket before.

Edited by Markupilami