News Forum - Child marriage legally outlawed in the Philippines

Thaiger

In the Philippines, one in every 6 girls get married before the age of 18. But on Thursday, child marriage became illegal in the country as a new ban went into place. The Philippines is saddled with gender inequality and a culture that has long accepted child marriage as a common practice. In fact, Plan International, a British rights group, said that the Philippines has the 12th highest amount of child marriage in the world. But now President Rodrigo Duterte has signed into law the new ban on child marriages with harsh consequences for violators. Those caught marrying or living […]

The story Child marriage legally outlawed in the Philippines as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The United Nations Children’s Fund issued a report last year that last year more than half a billion girls were involved in child marriages around the world. 

500 Million girls under 18 are married, in the world? 2021?

Can't believe that, assumingly a 'b' stands, where a 'm' should  be?

13 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

The United Nations Children’s Fund issued a report last year that last year more than half a billion girls were involved in child marriages around the world. 

Why make that ascertion when millions of children globally are forced into marriage very year.

https://www.un.org/youthenvoy/2013/09/child-marriages-39000-every-day-more-than-140-million-girls-will-marry-between-2011-and-2020/

6 minutes ago, nobusinessofurs said:

No mention of what religion was allowing child marriages. I suspect it was that group primarily from Mindanao.

But they're surely ok with the historic and unsavoury activities of the Catholic Church. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nobusinessofurs said:

No mention of what religion was allowing child marriages. I suspect it was that group primarily from Mindanao.

Wouldnt be too  sure as we had the head of the catholic fantasy tales  telling people with no kids they were "selfish"  the other day, brain  dead or  what!!

• Like 1

I'm surprised they didn't just redefine "child" as being under 14.  "Problem" solved.  I think the minimum age for marriage in most states in the US is still 16 if at least one parent consents.

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

What's all the fuss about?  I'm 65 the wife is 35 and we've been happily married 25 years. 😉

to  each  other?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

What's all the fuss about?  I'm 65 the wife is 35 and we've been happily married 25 years. 😉

Good to know the Skipper hasn't lost his SoH . . . quite 😉!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is absolutely no justification for marriage of anyone to anyone (male or female) under the age of 18. Not in this day in age. Plus it's creepy AF. When life expectancy was 40 years of age it was a matter of survival of the species. No longer the case. Good for you Philippines 👏

3 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Yeo, I fot told, most man i  that delatiinshios, they ar happily married.

So who cares, huu? .

Btw., How long ago, that they set the consent age in Thailand 'up' to 15? Still no 'foul', if younger but parents particip..., eh, are ok with it?

Wasn't that  just about 10 years ago or such?

4 hours ago, PBS said:

Why make that ascertion when millions of children globally are forced into marriage very year.

https://www.un.org/youthenvoy/2013/09/child-marriages-39000-every-day-more-than-140-million-girls-will-marry-between-2011-and-2020/

Because even your link is mentioning 'only' 15 Mio/year (39000x365).

Which is still 'a bit' under  500 Million/year.

And in case , you are missing my expression of disgust:

If I would have to rule that, such man, and parents, would just only have the chance, to do that once.

And would regret it.

Btw.: Europe countries p.ex. have laws against child-wifes. But still allowing family reunions with child wife and husband.

Also still the laws against several legal wifes are in place. But ....!

Just saying, it is not enough to write/say : Don't do that! Or is it?

5 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Because even your link is mentioning 'only' 15 Mio/year (39000x365).

Which is still 'a bit' under  500 Million/year.

And in case , you are missing my expression of disgust:

If I would have to rule that, such man, and parents, would just only have the chance, to do that once.

And would regret it.

Btw.: Europe countries p.ex. have laws against child-wifes. But still allowing family reunions with child wife and husband.

Also still the laws against several legal wifes are in place. But ....!

Just saying, it is not enough to write/say : Don't do that! Or is it?

Correct, but have to take into account 14 million child mariages p.a. would reach a total of 500 million over approx 35 years. In any case the true numbers are unknmown as many countries worldwide will not be reporting accurately. Don't know of EU countries legally permitting female child wife reunions with husbands, can you provide link/s? Of course child marriage laws must be enforced, but often very difficult due to family cultural issues.

6 hours ago, Cabra said:

There is absolutely no justification for marriage of anyone to anyone (male or female) under the age of 18. Not in this day in age. Plus it's creepy AF. 

Cultural differences and perspectives might lend itself to suggest that there's no proper standard for such activities. 

13 hours ago, Guest1 said:

I thought that too as it doesn't seem possible, but looking it up it's actually the total number alive who were married as child brides which is why it sounds so high.

It's a bit like saying 'x,y,z will be married as child brides in the next decade" because it sounds a lot worse than a tenth of that number over a year. 

9 hours ago, Cabra said:

There is absolutely no justification for marriage of anyone to anyone (male or female) under the age of 18. 

What about those who get pregnant under 18?

Maybe with a father who's a similar age?

It's not all about "child brides" and predatory older men.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PBS said:

Don't know of EU countries legally permitting female child wife reunions with husbands, can you provide link/s? 

Right now I found only one link towards this topic, pointing to germany. They made a new law, but seem not really to enforce it. Like other laws also, it seems, if it is connected to 'refugees'. I'd say, without Germanys 'let 'em in and keep em in', there wouldn't be so many paying thousands of US$, to get to 'europe' (germany took about 80% of all incoming 'refugees', I think. How stupid are they?)

https://m.dw.com/en/child-marriages-in-germany-present-a-challenge-for-authorities/a-50540043

7 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Right now I found only one link towards this topic, pointing to germany. They made a new law, but seem not really to enforce it. Like other laws also, it seems, if it is connected to 'refugees'. I'd say, without Germanys 'let 'em in and keep em in', there wouldn't be so many paying thousands of US$, to get to 'europe' (germany took about 80% of all incoming 'refugees', I think. How stupid are they?)

https://m.dw.com/en/child-marriages-in-germany-present-a-challenge-for-authorities/a-50540043

Your link provides the situations in Germany where annulment of marriage causes hardship issues due to associated laws. Interesting Brazil has three million plus child mariages.

9 hours ago, Stonker said:

Yep. There is that side of it.

• Like 1

I do know an Indian person who forty years ago told me it used to be a tradition in India where SOME communities would marry their children to children from other families, it was more like a spiritual marriage and they would not physically stay together until they were 16.

I am not sure what this report re the Philippines is referring to, an adult marring a child or as I described  above?

It used to be the case hundreds of years ago in Europe where the royals would promise the marriage of their children to other royal houses for political purposes. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stonker said:

Exception noted. It does happen to young lovers. No doubt.

• Like 1