News Forum - Philippines president says he will never apologise for deaths during his “war on drugs”

Thaiger

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte says he’ll never apologise for the deaths during his bloody war on drugs campaign where, according to government data reported by Reuters, around 6,200 drugs suspects were killed in police sting operations since Duterte took power in June 2016. “I will never, never apologise for the deaths… Kill me. Jail me. I will never apologise for the deaths.” During the speech, he also vowed to defend law enforcement officers who are doing their jobs, encouraging them to fight back if their lives are threatened. Human rights activists, on the other hand, say the thousands of suspects […]

The story Philippines president says he will never apologise for deaths during his “war on drugs” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

6200 'deaths' in 6 years.  So how many people in The Philippines died from drug related reasons in the previous 6 years - and the previous 6 years. And how many have died since 2016.  My anecdotal information from some blokes married to Philipinos here, is that over 20,000 people a year died from drugs before Duterte was elected President.

I have looked using Google and cannot find the numbers - and yet they are freely available for most other western countries.  In fact all the results I get are human rights rubbish about the 6200 deaths and the 'murder' campaign.  Not being into 'conspiracy' theories, I guess that means those numbers are just not available - yeh right.  Clearly the left are on a campaign to get Duterte and any positives about the results of his campaign are being 'blocked'. 

Given that WHO estimated over 500,000 worldwide people die every year from opioid drug overdoses, and you add to that all the other drug overdoses, and all the deaths in the 'business' - I reckon over a Million people a year die directly from drug related issues worldwide (it is a pandemic).  Then add all the damage done to people and families - and the toll on human society is huge. 

Until I can see evidence that before 2016 less than 2000 people a year died from drugs in Philippines, then I believe it was a good thing that Duterte was elected on the platform of killing drug dealers (and did so). Sure, a few innocents got caught up in that - but I ask, how many innocents are now not dead because of the previously rampant drug related deaths in Thailand before 2016. The reason Duterte was elected on a single main platform of killing drug dealing - in a landslide - was because drug were killing a lot of people and ruining a lot of lives in The Philippines before 2016.  Duterte claimed a lot of drug lords were protected by the corrupt Government, Police and Military, and the only way to stop it was to not arrest them but to 'remove' them.  If that campaign has worked - with some collateral damage - then he did a good job.

• Like 3

@KaptainRob. I'll second your assessment. Duterte took the hard way to fight the massive Drug related crimes in the Philippines. All over the World, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam in particular are now faced with floods of cheap drugs often labelled as chinese tea. There is not a single day in Cambodia where you don't read about arrests of drug traffickers. An example: https://cne.wtf/2022/01/04/vietnamese-man-detained-in-181kg-drug-bust/ . Thailand and Vietnam are no different but the sheer amount of drugs in circulation will eventually kill the entire society.  So the popular Human Rights Watch & Co. should take the damage on the population into account when they scream :bloody murder !

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CamPat said:

@KaptainRob. I'll second your assessment. Duterte took the hard way to fight the massive Drug related crimes in the Philippines. All over the World, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam in particular are now faced with floods of cheap drugs often labelled as chinese tea. There is not a single day in Cambodia where you don't read about arrests of drug traffickers. An example: https://cne.wtf/2022/01/04/vietnamese-man-detained-in-181kg-drug-bust/ . Thailand and Vietnam are no different but the sheer amount of drugs in circulation will eventually kill the entire society.  So the popular Human Rights Watch & Co. should take the damage on the population into account when they scream :bloody murder !

Assuming everybody takes illicit drugs. I dont.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AussieBob said:

6200 'deaths' in 6 years.  So how many people in The Philippines died from drug related reasons in the previous 6 years - and the previous 6 years. And how many have died since 2016.  My anecdotal information from some blokes married to Philipinos here, is that over 20,000 people a year died from drugs before Duterte was elected President.

I have looked using Google and cannot find the numbers - and yet they are freely available for most other western countries.  In fact all the results I get are human rights rubbish about the 6200 deaths and the 'murder' campaign.  Not being into 'conspiracy' theories, I guess that means those numbers are just not available - yeh right.  Clearly the left are on a campaign to get Duterte and any positives about the results of his campaign are being 'blocked'. 

Given that WHO estimated over 500,000 worldwide people die every year from opioid drug overdoses, and you add to that all the other drug overdoses, and all the deaths in the 'business' - I reckon over a Million people a year die directly from drug related issues worldwide (it is a pandemic).  Then add all the damage done to people and families - and the toll on human society is huge. 

Until I can see evidence that before 2016 less than 2000 people a year died from drugs in Philippines, then I believe it was a good thing that Duterte was elected on the platform of killing drug dealers (and did so). Sure, a few innocents got caught up in that - but I ask, how many innocents are now not dead because of the previously rampant drug related deaths in Thailand before 2016. The reason Duterte was elected on a single main platform of killing drug dealing - in a landslide - was because drug were killing a lot of people and ruining a lot of lives in The Philippines before 2016.  Duterte claimed a lot of drug lords were protected by the corrupt Government, Police and Military, and the only way to stop it was to not arrest them but to 'remove' them.  If that campaign has worked - with some collateral damage - then he did a good job.

You win the war on drugs by legalizing them, like in Portugal.

By creating a life where people doesn’t see the need to flee into a warm drug world, because the reality is grey and cold. Offering people some land where they can farm their own food, where they can live careless-free. Instead of worrying them with the all-over-the-world-hunt for human energy, creating stress and desperation for the normal people, because of the never-ending greed and hunger of the powerful.

Duderte is a crazy, emotionless, heartless soul without any empathy. Not only drugs-related, in all ways. He also ordered his police to shoot everyone who defy the lockdown or even masking rules. I don’t want to be his soul when he dies, I think our creator will be as mercilessly as he was.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Thailand had a similar 'war on drugs' at one time which is still very fondly and wistfully remembered by many.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HighSo said:

Offering people some land where they can farm their own food, where they can live careless-free.

Do you seriously think most, if any, drug users have the faintest interest in somewhere "they can farm their own food"?

Get real.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, HighSo said:

You win the war on drugs by legalizing them, like in Portugal.

By creating a life where people doesn’t see the need to flee into a warm drug world, because the reality is grey and cold. Offering people some land where they can farm their own food, where they can live careless-free. Instead of worrying them with the all-over-the-world-hunt for human energy, creating stress and desperation for the normal people, because of the never-ending greed and hunger of the powerful.

Duderte is a crazy, emotionless, heartless soul without any empathy. Not only drugs-related, in all ways. He also ordered his police to shoot everyone who defy the lockdown or even masking rules. I don’t want to be his soul when he dies, I think our creator will be as mercilessly as he was.

So says the liberal left wing utopian believer.  Me - I am in the real world where illegal drugs are killing people and destroying lives.  The time has come to stop pandering to the loud liberal minority - Duerte's solution has worked - implement it worldwide and the drug problem will diminish dramatically.  Then after that works, also lock up anyone caught using illegal drugs - legalising illegal drug use was a bad move. Over time the problem solved - save for a few desperate nutters and idiots (screw them).   

On 1/6/2022 at 9:02 AM, AussieBob said:

What ever we all think I am yet to met a philipine person (mainly work colleagues) who dislikes him

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thommo said:

What ever we all think I am yet to met a philipine person (mainly work colleagues) who dislikes him

And who else matters apart from Philippinos?

Nobody.

• Like 1

Its a war ! The enemy ( drug dealers and those who possess them) has /have committed crimes on humanity!

The criminals who escaped execution should consider themselves lucky  and that goes for their immediate family members,too.