News Forum - What to do if you test positive for Covid-19 in Thailand

Thaiger

On 1/7/2022 at 5:03 PM, Cabra said:

what about Tune?

What have you heard about Axa that is my policy, I rang them and they said they would cover my hospital bills provided the hospital billed them directly, reading the policy I surmised the policy actually covered for MEDICAL attention and Medicines no mention of accommodation charges for bed, trying very hard not to find out!

• Like 2

On 1/7/2022 at 2:43 AM, AlexPTY said:

do what you told to do, not if you have any other choice

Never mind the independent free will stuff. huh?

What about the guys behind the curtain? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bankerman said:

What have you heard about Axa that is my policy, I rang them and they said they would cover my hospital bills provided the hospital billed them directly, reading the policy I surmised the policy actually covered for MEDICAL attention and Medicines no mention of accommodation charges for bed, trying very hard not to find out!

I've not heard from anyone about there Axa experience. Tune assures me they will cover asymptomatic and symptomatic if either situation lands you in a hospital or detention centre. Like you, I'm going my best not to find out.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bankerman said:

Maybe this will help you...this is of the policy wording of AXAs Sawasdee Thailand insurance:

The covered medical expense as follow 1. Physician fee 2. Medicine, intravenous infusion cost, blood and blood component including expenses in separation, preparation and analysis for blood or blood component transfusion, laboratory test and pathology, radiological diagnosis, other special diagnosis method including physician reading fee , expenses related to the use or provision of service for medical tools and equipment outside the operation room, non-reusable medical supplies (medical supplies 1), operation room and equipment inside excluding special nurse during admission as inpatient in hospital, medical center or clinic.

3. Cost of ambulance for medical emergency to transport the Insured to and from a hospital or a medical center and such transportation is considered medical necessity.

4. Take home drugs prescribe based on medical necessity but not over fourteen (14) days.

5. Cost of ICU room or standard single room including food provided for the patient by the hospital or medical center and daily nursing service fee.

6. Other expenses related to medical treatment such as nursing service fee, Hospital service fee and medical procedure fee.

-----------------------------------------

My understanding is that AXA will pay for all medically necessary expenses, as well as the cost of accommodation in a "hospital". Because if you are looking at AXA's FAQ, please note that they do not pay for accommodation costs, for example for a hotel during an ordered quarantine! In this case, my "trip cancellation insurance" (Allianz Germany) would pay for it. However, a maximum of €1,000 for the period of quarantine.

So I have a total of 3 insurances:

1. Allianz travel health insurance for all other acute illnesses (BUT not pay for asymptomatic Covid19 treatment!)

2. AXA Sawasdee Thailand insurance (for asymptomatic treatment!)

3. Allianz travel cancellation insurance for a possible quarantine for the reimbursement of unused things during the quarantine such as a rental car or booked activities.

Admittedly, it is really extremely complex to deal with it and to understand the insurance conditions of the individual insurance companies, but unfortunately you have to deal with it at the moment, whether you want to or not.

And of course....if the worst comes to the worst, you have to hope that the relevant insurance company doesn't find some clause to avoid paying.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SkylineGTR82 said:

Maybe this will help you...this is of the policy wording of AXAs Sawasdee Thailand insurance:

The covered medical expense as follow 1. Physician fee 2. Medicine, intravenous infusion cost, blood and blood component including expenses in separation, preparation and analysis for blood or blood component transfusion, laboratory test and pathology, radiological diagnosis, other special diagnosis method including physician reading fee , expenses related to the use or provision of service for medical tools and equipment outside the operation room, non-reusable medical supplies (medical supplies 1), operation room and equipment inside excluding special nurse during admission as inpatient in hospital, medical center or clinic.

3. Cost of ambulance for medical emergency to transport the Insured to and from a hospital or a medical center and such transportation is considered medical necessity.

4. Take home drugs prescribe based on medical necessity but not over fourteen (14) days.

5. Cost of ICU room or standard single room including food provided for the patient by the hospital or medical center and daily nursing service fee.

6. Other expenses related to medical treatment such as nursing service fee, Hospital service fee and medical procedure fee.

My understanding is that AXA will pay for all medically necessary expenses, as well as the cost of accommodation in a "hospital". Because if you are looking at AXA's FAQ, please note that they do not pay for accommodation costs, for example for a hotel during an ordered quarantine! In this case, my "trip cancellation insurance" (Allianz Germany) would pay for it. However, a maximum of €1,000 for the period of quarantine.

1. Allianz travel health insurance for all other acute illnesses (BUT not pay for asymptomatic Covid19 treatment!)

3. Allianz travel cancellation insurance for a possible quarantine for the reimbursement of unused things during the quarantine such as a rental car or booked activities.

Admittedly, it is really extremely complex to deal with it and to understand the insurance conditions of the individual insurance companies, but unfortunately you have to deal with it at the moment, whether you want to or not.

And of course....if the worst comes to the worst, you have to hope that the relevant insurance company doesn't find some clause to avoid paying.

Hi thanks that is very useful for me how sensible of you to take specific policies! With any luck 1330 may keep delaying any action will just hope its a nice hospital. I wonder if at the end of 10 days they release you whatever the test result, wouldyou be considered non infectious at that stage I wonder.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bankerman said:

Hi thanks that is very useful for me how sensible of you to take specific policies! With any luck 1330 may keep delaying any action will just hope its a nice hospital. I wonder if at the end of 10 days they release you whatever the test result, wouldyou be considered non infectious at that stage I wonder.

It is precisely for this reason that everyone should really take a very close look at when, how much and how long an insurance company will pay in each case. Otherwise, the Thailand vacation can end in a financial fiasco. After all, there have been enough corresponding examples since the introduction of Test&Go, Sandbox and Co.

The government of Thailand is currently pointing out again that tourists have to take care of an insurance, which will pay in all conceivable cases!

The only problem is: There is no single insurance, which will pay in all cases! So you will need more than one... Unfortunately

And no...I'm not selling insurance policies...😂 But in the past I've had very bad experiences with insurance companies refusing to pay for odd reasons. I learned from this and look VERY closely at insurance conditions.

On the other hand, I can also give a positive example. In 2016 I fractured my toe in Thailand. I was taken to a private hospital in Trang. Very modern, really great! I only named my insurance there and everything else was taken care of for me. After the surgery and 4 days in the hospital, my insurance booked a "Business Class" flight (the doctor said it was medically necessary because of the legroom and the wire in my toe!), as well as the transfer to the Krabi airport. When I arrived in Germany, I was picked up directly from the airport and taken to the hospital again for an examination. The treatment costs amounted to 6500€ and the flight alone to 2700€. You have to keep in mind: The policy for the whole year does not even cost 20€.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SkylineGTR82 said:

It is precisely for this reason that everyone should really take a very close look at when, how much and how long an insurance company will pay in each case. Otherwise, the Thailand vacation can end in a financial fiasco. After all, there have been enough corresponding examples since the introduction of Test&Go, Sandbox and Co.

The government of Thailand is currently pointing out again that tourists have to take care of an insurance, which will pay in all conceivable cases!

The only problem is: There is no single insurance, which will pay in all cases! So you will need more than one... Unfortunately

And no...I'm not selling insurance policies...😂 But in the past I've had very bad experiences with insurance companies refusing to pay for odd reasons. I learned from this and look VERY closely at insurance conditions.

On the other hand, I can also give a positive example. In 2016 I fractured my toe in Thailand. I was taken to a private hospital in Trang. Very modern, really great! I only named my insurance there and everything else was taken care of for me. After the surgery and 4 days in the hospital, my insurance booked a "Business Class" flight (the doctor said it was medically necessary because of the legroom and the wire in my toe!), as well as the transfer to the Krabi airport. When I arrived in Germany, I was picked up directly from the airport and taken to the hospital again for an examination. The treatment costs amounted to 6500€ and the flight alone to 2700€. You have to keep in mind: The policy for the whole year does not even cost 20€.

23 hours ago, SkylineGTR82 said:

Brilliant result very wise of you 👍will wait to see what Axa will cover. 🤞

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 5:03 PM, Cabra said:

what about Tune?

Look for the post from Lefty who caught covid , went to hospital and was left out to dry by Tune Insurance despite meeting all the requirements it seems.

Maybe a company who doesn't return your calls when it's time to pay up is worth avoiding .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

For people traveling or coming back to Thailand, the covid travel insurance you are made to get, doesn't cover anything unless you have very very severe symptoms (medicine, hospital, etc are all at your expense). Whoever informs you of your positive test result will conveniently "forget" to mention you have the option to remain quarantined in your designated hotel or your home, and insist you need to go to hospital where you'll have to spend minimum of 100k ~ 150k thb.  A friend of mine, who speaks good level of thai, tested positive in his hotel, and he was almost forced to move to a hospital, despite him showing very mild symptoms. We called a thai friend and suddenly it was all a "misunderstanding" because apparently my friend doesn't speak Thai. The next day, my friend was told that since he tested positive, he won't be served any regular meals and was told to order room service instead. Once again our thai friend got involved and the manager (or someone along those line) annoyingly told him that their staff forgot to send up his meal once and he's overreacting and they never said anything like that. Again, blaming my friend's Thai. My friend lived in thailand for 20+ years and work closely with thai people, so yeah his pronunciation might miss a mark but he understands most things. 

For people who test positive during quarantine, remember that the hotel and the government aren't your friend and they will do everything to rob you of everything. Record every conversation you have with the hotel staff and medical personnel.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 4:39 AM, Anon91988 said:

For people traveling or coming back to Thailand, the covid travel insurance you are made to get, doesn't cover anything unless you have very very severe symptoms (medicine, hospital, etc are all at your expense). Whoever informs you of your positive test result will conveniently "forget" to mention you have the option to remain quarantined in your designated hotel or your home, and insist you need to go to hospital where you'll have to spend minimum of 100k ~ 150k thb.  A friend of mine, who speaks good level of thai, tested positive in his hotel, and he was almost forced to move to a hospital, despite him showing very mild symptoms. We called a thai friend and suddenly it was all a "misunderstanding" because apparently my friend doesn't speak Thai. The next day, my friend was told that since he tested positive, he won't be served any regular meals and was told to order room service instead. Once again our thai friend got involved and the manager (or someone along those line) annoyingly told him that their staff forgot to send up his meal once and he's overreacting and they never said anything like that. Again, blaming my friend's Thai. My friend lived in thailand for 20+ years and work closely with thai people, so yeah his pronunciation might miss a mark but he understands most things. 

For people who test positive during quarantine, remember that the hotel and the government aren't your friend and they will do everything to rob you of everything. Record every conversation you have with the hotel staff and medical personnel.  

That's what I thought too, the hotel and hospital will do everything in their power to trick, scam and finally ripped you off apart and later you will be sparing for change in the streets of Thailand. You didn't specifically mention which place is that. I know for the fact that Bangkok, Phuket & Chiang Mai are ripping off incoming tourists to false positive which they've been doing that for almost 3 months. That's the reason, Thailand already lost tourists to Philippines, Cambodia & Vietnam(very soon) and this is the only solution that they have so can recouped the lost money for the last 2 years.

• Like 1

A bit worried after reading all this. I'm due to fly into Thailand in two weeks. Insurance I can get to protect me from these scans if these are false positives and the hospital use them just to get us in there and then fleece us of everything we've got?

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 8:54 PM, NCC1701A said:

"To qualify for home isolation, patient must be younger than 65 years old..."

why? horrible. 

For their safety, people over 65 are at much higher risk of severe disease and can go down hill very fast. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mws said:

A bit worried after reading all this. I'm due to fly into Thailand in two weeks. Insurance I can get to protect me from these scans if these are false positives and the hospital use them just to get us in there and then fleece us of everything we've got?

That's a complete myth. The hospitals have enough genuine patients to deal with to be playing these sort of games. If you test positive you will be retested and if it was a false positive you will be sent on your way. If you are positive you will be required to isolate maybe in a hospital or an ASQ hotel but how is that different from you being required to isolate in your home country? As for the cost, that is why they require the compulsory Covid insurance. Don't let the paranoid and very vocal right wing element in these forums frighten you. You can get reliable insurance from the insurance section of this forum and if you are sensible about hygiene and wearing a N95/KN95/KFF94/P2 mask while in public you are very unlikely to have any issues while on holiday. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

6 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

That's a complete myth. The hospitals have enough genuine patients to deal with to be playing these sort of games. If you test positive you will be retested and if it was a false positive you will be sent on your way. If you are positive you will be required to isolate maybe in a hospital or an ASQ hotel but how is that different from you being required to isolate in your home country? As for the cost, that is why they require the compulsory Covid insurance. Don't let the paranoid and very vocal right wing element in these forums frighten you. You can get reliable insurance from the insurance section of this forum and if you are sensible about hygiene and wearing a N95/KN95/KFF94/P2 mask while in public you are very unlikely to have any issues while on holiday. 

Have you not been reading all the reports of people stating different ?

The people who got phone calls telling them to immediately go to hospital and spend ten days in isolation and they were allowed to even see the test results , let alone take another test ? 

Its not "paranoid" "Right-wing" people trying to frighten people , its genuine people telling what has happened to them .

It has been suggesting that hospitals are deliberately keeping insured people in quarantine and claiming the 300 000 Baht costs from the insurance  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fluke said:

Have you not been reading all the reports of people stating different ?

The people who got phone calls telling them to immediately go to hospital and spend ten days in isolation and they were allowed to even see the test results , let alone take another test ? 

Its not "paranoid" "Right-wing" people trying to frighten people , its genuine people telling what has happened to them .

It has been suggesting that hospitals are deliberately keeping insured people in quarantine and claiming the 300 000 Baht costs from the insurance  

I have seen a bunch of right wing people making these claims here but I have not seen a single verified report of these claims. 

What I have seen is friends who have tested positive that have been sent to hospital that have been treated very well and looked after in hospital and yes some of them could have been safe at home in hindsight but they all have said that they were happy to have the nursing staff and doctors making regular checks on them and that they were not dramatically inconvenienced by the experience. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

14 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

I have seen a bunch of right wing people making these claims here but I have not seen a single verified report of these claims. 

What I have seen is friends who have tested positive that have been sent to hospital that have been treated very well and looked after in hospital and yes some of them could have been safe at home in hindsight but they all have said that they were happy to have the nursing staff and doctors making regular checks on them and that they were not dramatically inconvenienced by the experience. 

Ah right , all the reports of people being inconvenienced by the strict quarantine rules and suggestions thaat the hospitals are keeping people in hospital to claim huge insurance payouts are all right wing conspiracy theorists spreading lies for further their cause 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2022 at 11:42 AM, Tim_Melb said:

Apparently the insurance from this insurance section of this forum is not reliable at all. That is one of the things that concerns me. Buying insurance getting quarantined and then the insurance not paying out and I'm stuck with a massive bill. Can anyone suggest insurance companies who are not total frauds and who will payout?

• Like 1

Just now, mws said:

Apparently the insurance from this insurance section of this forum is not reliable at all. That is one of the things that concerns me. Buying insurance getting quarantined and then the insurance not paying out and I'm stuck with a massive bill. Can anyone suggest insurance companies who are not total frauds and who will payout?

In my home country we don't have to isolate if we have the new variant. It's pretty harmless

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mws said:

Can anyone suggest insurance companies who are not total frauds and who will payout?

The Insurance policies cover 'treatment' of Covid, however if testing positive but asymptomatic, you have to isolate for 10 days, waited on hand and foot, fed, watered and accommodation, but you don't require or receive any 'treatment' - where's the fraud?

If you can find an Insurer where the underwriters are prepared to include isolation without treatment, please do let us know and the difference in cost.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mws said:

In my home country we don't have to isolate if we have the new variant. It's pretty harmless

Thailand isn't your home Country though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Faz said:

The Insurance policies cover 'treatment' of Covid, however if testing positive but asymptomatic, you have to isolate for 10 days, waited on hand and foot, fed, watered and accommodation, but you don't require or receive any 'treatment' - where's the fraud?

If you can find an Insurer where the underwriters are prepared to include isolation without treatment, please do let us know and the difference in cost.

As I said many times on here but ignored by the moaners(not you of course Faz)

I know friends that have been isolated and their individual travel insurance has paid for it as "trip interruption"

I have told people to talk to the insurers and explain exactly what you are looking for and ask if "trip interruption" would cover such instances......

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mws said:

Considering your profile says you are from the UK, you seem to have a very narrow definition of the publicised new rules that have only just come into effect. Sure, no legal requirement, but the public health advice seems to be to stay at home, regardless of the variant.

There is no longer a legal requirement for people with coronavirus (COVID-19) infection to self-isolate, however if you have any of the main symptoms of COVID-19 or a positive test result, the public health advice is to stay at home and avoid contact with other people.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-people-with-covid-19-and-their-contacts/covid-19-people-with-covid-19-and-their-contacts

So I would suggest you follow the advice, stay at home and isolate. But up to you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Smithydog said:

Considering your profile says you are from the UK, you seem to have a very narrow definition of the publicised new rules that have only just come into effect. Sure, no legal requirement, but the public health advice seems to be to stay at home, regardless of the variant.

There is no longer a legal requirement for people with coronavirus (COVID-19) infection to self-isolate, however if you have any of the main symptoms of COVID-19 or a positive test result, the public health advice is to stay at home and avoid contact with other people.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-people-with-covid-19-and-their-contacts/covid-19-people-with-covid-19-and-their-contacts

So I would suggest you follow the advice, stay at home and isolate. But up to you.

You seem to have no understanding of the reality of the situation in the UK. The pandemic here is over life is normal like it was before the pandemic. You know the government of the UK and FCO will say anything to cover their *****. Health and safety rules on steroids. People here are terrified of being inconvenienced in any way whatsoever. In short the UK sucks

• Haha 1