News Forum - What to do if you test positive for Covid-19 in Thailand

Thaiger

Taking at-home Covid-19 tests on a regular basis as become the “norm” this week after many people travelled and met with friends and family during the New Year holiday. Officials are anticipating an uptick in Covid-19 cases, and some areas, like Bangkok and Phuket, have even prepared facilities to house patients. Here’s what to do if you test positive for Covid-19 in Thailand… Confirm the result with an RT-PCR test  Those who test positive for Covid-19 in a rapid antigen test, or ATK, must follow up with a RT-PCR test to confirm the infection. The Thai government only recognises positive […]

The story What to do if you test positive for Covid-19 in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

While I would always studiously obey Thai Law, I know some people who may not.

They wouldn't go for a RT-PCR test as if it were positive the doctor would have to inform the government. Further, they inform me that they wouldn't actually tell anyone outside of trusted family or friends. Finally, they tell me that they keep several days of provisions on hand and have people ready to help with more if/as needed.

They worry about being forced into an expensive hotel for no reason.

That's what they say...

Edited by Shade_Wilder
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Or, as long as you 'pour' over the details, an escape funnel.

Not any old Tom , Dick or Harry would've thought of that Mr Sofa .. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Dedinbed said:

Not any old Tom , Dick or Harry would've thought of that Mr Sofa .. 

Look out for the guards in the watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Haha 2

In essence....keep your mouth shut and suddenly disappear from the social scene for a couple weeks. Putting up ISO videos will only confirm people's suspicions. Just go quiet and blame it on the premise, that your internet was hacked....

• Like 3

Most won’t test or get a rapid test unless forced or in the situation.  If a family member does have to test and tests positive in a public setting then be sure that all the family have becomes ducks that will need to line up or be shot. 

• Like 1

They just finally addressed this issues & has been ongoing on for the last 22 months now. I can understand that if you are false positive and asymptomatic, then can go to AQ hotels at own expense. Before it's not what happened, even asymptomatic, still have to go to the hospital. That's the scam starts and either get a bill for B300K or take out money from the COVID-19 insurance or you buy insurance outside of Thailand (not AXA or Tune). Lot of farangs got scammed so they finally fix this.

• Like 1

How about if you dont feel well you stay home.  This goes for covid and non-covid related illnesses.  Why even test?  Just stay the F home.....

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

How about if you dont feel well you stay home.  This goes for covid and non-covid related illnesses.  Why even test?  Just stay the F home.....

I am hoping and do think covid has changed that stupid attitude in North America that you are somehow a hard worker if you come to work sick

I mean people used to come to office coughing their lungs out, so stupid......

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I am hoping and do think covid has changed that stupid attitude in North America that you are somehow a hard worker if you come to work sick

I mean people used to come to office coughing their lungs out, so stupid......

Must be that mythological ideology of the great American ethic. 

🤨

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DesperateOldHand said:

Must be that mythological ideology of the great American ethic. 

🤨

Yup and it's stupid

But I do think it will have changed 

I think people will expect you to stay home if sick

I've gone to work absolutely sick as a dog and thinking back, it's so foolish 

Especially in my work where we all sit in one room

• Like 3

On 1/5/2022 at 11:43 PM, ace035 said:

Before it's not what happened, even asymptomatic, still have to go to the hospital. That's the scam starts and either get a bill for B300K or take out money from the COVID-19 insurance or you buy insurance outside of Thailand (not AXA or Tune). Lot of farangs got scammed so they finally fix this.

No, before if you're Thai you could go to a state hospital for free, and pay 500 to 750 baht a day for a VIP room if you wanted it, just as you could if you were a foreigner who'd been here pre-Covid.

Alternatively if you were a foreigner who'd come here with valid mandated insurance your insurance company would pay.

Or, if you were a foreigner who'd come here with inadequate insurance, less than the mandated minimum, and you'd tried to scam the system to save a few bucks, you got caught out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AlexPTY said:

do what you told to do, not if you have any other choice

If people had done what they were told to do and hadn't tried to scam the system, none of these whingeing bar-stewards would have had to pay for their private hospital quarantine and there'd be a lot less cases of Covid around in the tourist / expat hotspots that have been spread around the rest of Thailand.

But they didn't, so we all suffer as does Thailand.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stonker said:

If people had done what they were told to do and hadn't tried to scam the system, none of these whingeing bar-stewards would have had to pay for their private hospital quarantine and there'd be a lot less cases of Covid around in the tourist / expat hotspots that have been spread around the rest of Thailand.

But they didn't, so we all suffer as does Thailand.

my point exactly, looks like they only enforce the rules for tourists in Thailand. giving a traffic law breakers free helmets is a good example

• Like 1

Positive atk, contacted 1330 - "we will contact you later", the next day went to the hospital - positive pcr - "we will contact you later". Been 4 days now, haven't heard from anyone. Where else to report?  We are self quarantining at home, but not sure what else we are supposed to do... I assume we need to download one of the apps and be in touch with one of the hospitals to report, but haven't heard anything and can't find any info 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Same happening to me, 70 and no symptoms whatsoever. Went for 2nd PCR test result 'Detected' I was informed by e-mail with result attachment the instruction was to call 1330 I did so but only a repeated Thai announcement. Next day went to same hospital and spoke to receptionist who bent over backwards to help, he used his phone and managed to get through to 1330 by using #14 after the Thai announcement. I was told to contact two hospitals The Piyavate and the Bangpakok Int. neither was able to help and poor English was a huge barrier. The Piyavate said they would help and spoke to the Rajavithi Hospital who said yes they could take me BUT they needed authorisation from 1330 and left me to arrange it. Needless to say 1330 was not picking up the rest of Friday but managed to contact them first thing on Saturday they again laboriously took all my details (5th time) and said someone would get back to me in 48 hours. That would be 4days after testing positive. I have NO symptoms I take no drugs not even for blood pressure I am very healthy and no chest or breathing issues, the arbitrary 65 year rule is too broad but I am hoping to be assessed by a doctor as not needing hospital. Intend go and get tested again on Monday at the same authorised hospital should I not do that andjust isolate in my hotel until I hear from them?