News Forum - Omicron variant now found in 2,062 infections, 54 provinces

Thaiger

Thailand and hope to avoid an outbreak of Omicron for as long as possible, but the highly transmissible variance spread was unavoidable. Now there are over 2,000 cases of Omicron infections across 54 provinces in Thailand according to the Department of Medical Science. DMS Director-General Dr Supakit Sirilak discussed the spread of Omicron and detailed the provinces with the most infections yesterday. He said that the new variant, with 2,062 infections discovered so far, now made up 20% of all new infections in Thailand, while most of the other 80% remained Delta variant infections. Bangkok, as usual due to its […]

The story Omicron variant now found in 2,062 infections, 54 provinces as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

10 minutes ago, Chads said:

7 Local infections in Bangkok? I personally know more than 7 who caught it in Bangkok due to the New Years Countdown. 

Have you told the Thai authorities?

So eliminate the Omicron variant, and TH was down to 1600 infections. It was good while it lasted, but based on what has happened on the rest of the planet, it looks like the next wave will be a tsunami of epic proportions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

– new studies in Africa found that those infected and recovered from Omicron had boosted antibodies not just against the strain, but other variants as well, regardless of vaccination status. Omicron-fighting antibodies were seen to spike by 14 to 15 times, while antibodies to combat the Delta variant also quadrupled

If only that was what the studies had found and MCOT had reported in the source article, it really would be "good news".

Unfortunately it's not, and that evidently only happened in "some" cases.

Very, very different.

• Like 1

If you live in Thailand, take a long look at what's happening in other countries around the world where Omicron is the dominant strain. It overtakes Delta because it's that much more infectious. So cases are going to rise exponentially. I come from a state in Australia that had single digit numbers of Delta, all in isolation in hospital. Now after a few weeks of Omicron, cases today 6781. That's just in my state. The only reason we don't know if there were more, is that testing centres are being flooded with people and the testing staff ran out of tests. 

• Like 1

Total number of infections in Australia today 64,000+. It's significantly more than that, of course. I say this not to alarm you but to alert you. Anyone who things that the variant won't come knocking, is insane. We can only hope that we can slow the spread. Just look to countries where Omicron is more advanced in it's spread as a "feature of coming attractions" in Thailand, just as I look to Africa as an eye to the future. 

• Like 1