U-Tapao Airport will get a major upgrade and become Bangkok’s third international airport

David1991

U-Tapao Airport in Sattahip near Pattaya is about to undergo a major upgrade and will become Bangkok’s third international airport and will be linked to Don Mueang International Airport and Suvarnabhumi International Airport via high-speed train services.

The expanded airport is expected to commence commercial operations in 2025. The upgrade project will enable the airport to handle more passenger and cargo aircraft. It will involve the construction of the third passenger terminal, logistics and cargo complex.

Phase 1, which is yet to start is expected to accommodate 15.9 million passengers, will include the construction of 60 parking bays, high-speed rail and traffic links to the airport, and a 157,000-square-metre terminal building with commercial areas and parking space. This phase is expected to be completed in 2024 and operational in 2025.

• Like 1

Hi, David1991 and thanks to you, I'm still tapping my foot to some of those Ibiza vibes that you 'reminded' me to dig out, the other evening.

But, in line with my 'resident cynic' status, I must advise you not to hold your breath, re U-Tapao's planned 2025 start-up.

There may be superficial changes made at U-Tapao but I forecast a further 10-years - if ever - for the HS rail connection, which, in my view, is nothing more than one of many of this regime's pathetically unachievable soundbites. They're good at that!

But, in the hope that it may make-up for any KC U-Tapao gloom, I can recommend a listen to what's making me tap my feet right now . . . some of Phoxjaw's songs, if you're into that kind a' stuff . . . Triple AAA's a banger!

• Cool 1

Hey King Cotton, the main contractors are confident even if they start in 2022 they will have phrase 1 completed and operational for 2025. On reflection you probably will be right as it will prove to be wishful thinking on my part. I have not lived in Thailand for that long and obviously too trusting to proposals and plans.

Trophies in the Attic now playing on the tablet with the volume turned up. flat mates not impressed with that sound.

• Haha 1

Now then, David1991,

Whilst a trifle sorry to have poured so much cold water on your U-Tapao hopes, it's good that I've alerted you to the FACT that trust of this government's proclamations is a thankless commodity.

Having witnessed Prayut & Co's performance (or lack of) from day-one (May '14), I cannot name one aspect of Thai life that they've improved during their 7-years.

Yep, that T-i-t-A track's quite a gudden. Have you played 'Teething' yet? That's another banger!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2021 at 7:12 PM, David1991 said:

Phase 1, which is yet to start is expected to accommodate 15.9 million passengers, will include the construction of 60 parking bays, high-speed rail and traffic links to the airport, and a 157,000-square-metre terminal building with commercial areas and parking space. This phase is expected to be completed in 2024 and operational in 2025.

Should this project proceed as planned it may serve as an ideal infrastructure employment opportunity during covid.  Let's hope that a certain ministers family are NOT involved in the project.

Despite lack of any real need for a 3rd airport under current circumstances and for the foreseeable future, the project should hopefully proceed and thus be ready to take up slack in future, likely well beyond 2025 unfortunately.

• Like 1