Road Rage is a Western thing???

GMoney2312

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Saving face is extreme in Thailand - it over-rides all other issues - period. 

one of my Thai women friends half jokingly says she wants to marry me and I half jokingly say "If we get married how many girlfriends can I have?"

without skipping a beat and seriously she says "I don't care but you must tell me when you do it and who the girl is so when my friends tell me they saw you with another woman I can say I know, I know how much it cost and I know who the girl is and I told my husband it was OK."   

I asked her if she wants to see the video. 

no lost of face. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

one of my Thai women friends half jokingly says she wants to marry me and I half jokingly say "If we get married how many girlfriends can I have?"

without skipping a beat and seriously she says "I don't care but you must tell me when you do it and who the girl is so when my friends tell me they saw you with another woman I can say I know, I know how much it cost and I know who the girl is and I told my husband it was OK."   

I asked her if she wants to see the video. 

no lost of face. 

I have two long term g/fs. One longer than the other.  One lives with me in my house the other in a condo that I own some 15km down the road.  I split my time between them.  They know of each other but have never met and they tell me that they are fine with the situation as it is. I take care of them both financially and they both live good lives, as indeed do I. For me, and no doubt for them, we have a great time together. I have made it plain that if they want to go off, that it is up to them, but they are loyal and honest.  I try not to judge the way others live their life and I expect the same back from my family and friends about they way I live mine.  So far it works for all concerned. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GMoney2312 said:

We found it! Dropped 8000 baht. Cigars too!

Tried to talk him down 200 baht on a bottle of Scotch, but got rejected. Nice guy. He gave use his info so he can mail cigars to me if I want. 

And I avoided the traffic headaches and we took a Tuk Tuk. Easier to study the area as well by not driving.

What brand of scotch? My go to drink other than wine and beer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I have two long term g/fs. One longer than the other.  One lives with me in my house the other in a condo that I own some 15km down the road.  I split my time between them.  They know of each other but have never met and they tell me that they are fine with the situation as it is. I take care of them both financially and they both live good lives, as indeed do I. For me, and no doubt for them, we have a great time together. I have made it plain that if they want to go off, that it is up to them, but they are loyal and honest.  I try not to judge the way others live their life and I expect the same back from my family and friends about they way I live mine.  So far it works for all concerned. 

If I wasn't married with kids then I would definetely be that way or just continually playing the field with many of them. But me knowng me, I might get attached to one or two or three along the way. I do like companion friendships.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

What brand of scotch? My go to drink other than wine and beer.

Here is the haul for the day!

Booze Udon.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Pinetree said:

One lives with me in my house the other in a condo that I own some 15km down the road.  I split my time between them. 

Well this started out as road rage and traffic, but it sure got interesting fast!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

Booze Udon.jpg

Now we're getting down to proper details! Especially the Glenfiddich.
Drink all that and you'll be 'droning' on.

• Haha 3

Lots of road rage in Thailand. Recently, I honked at one guy and he cut me off in the middle of a large intersection, and stood outside his car, beckoning me to have a go. I refused as he was 20 years younger and looked like a cop/soldier. These guys could shoot me and think nothing of it. I know of one guy who was shot in the head for racing with a pick up on a Bkk elevated highway and outside my work, one guy was shot dead for honking.

• Angry 1

4 hours ago, GMoney2312 said:

Booze Udon.jpg

All good for me. Least favorite is the Chardonnay for me as a red color guy, but all good and nothing I wouldn’t pass on. Even have been known to do a cigar every several years as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SomtamMcSporran said:

Lots of road rage in Thailand. Recently, I honked at one guy and he cut me off in the middle of a large intersection, and stood outside his car, beckoning me to have a go. I refused as he was 20 years younger and looked like a cop/soldier. These guys could shoot me and think nothing of it. I know of one guy who was shot in the head for racing with a pick up on a Bkk elevated highway and outside my work, one guy was shot dead for honking.

my gf warned me not to get angry whilst driving and riding at anyone outside of bkk as they most likely would have a gun 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Almost a commonplace venture for Thai guys.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

In town one day a pick-up pulled out in front of our car without indicating. My wife had to brake sharply, causing a Grab driver behind us to brake sharply and very gently hit our car (yes, I know he shouldn't have been so close).

As we were stuck in traffic, my wife and the grab driver both ran towards the pick-up and angrily asked the driver why he pulled out and didn't indicate either.
The driver was apologetic. The pick-up passenger however started arguing with my wife, claiming he was a policeman - he offered no proof and was wearing scruffy clothes. My wife told him to shut up as he was just passenger. He did shut up!

Yep - one of the many advantages of having a Thai wife 😉

But dont try that yourself in Thailand Expats - only let the wife do it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Pinetree said:

they also probably really enjoy their "free time".       gives em time to catch up on facebook   😚

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, GMoney2312 said:

Booze Udon.jpg

Oh to be young again.  The Glenfiddich used to be my favourite, until someone gave me a bottle of Macallan.  I still like them - by they dont like me anymore. Only rarely and in moderation nowadays.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SomtamMcSporran said:

and as someone else said......... do NOT  give the finger 

i used to keep the newpaper with photo of falang lying in the street..... shot at light after doing so.

that got the message across to me.    cursing the fkr out works best for me to release anger.   while sitting in my car out ,   and out of distance....naturally

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Only rarely and in moderation nowadays.

Agreed on the Macallan- and just two shots a sitting is fine with me now. Those mornings that used to handle 5 to 6 good shots a night is long gone.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

Agreed on the Macallan- and just two shots a sitting is fine with me now. Those mornings that used to handle 5 to 6 good shots a night is long gone.

Sadly - 1 shot is it for me - or the next day I suffer.  I was at a 21st one night (my own kid's party at my place) and after all the 'kids' left to go 'clubbing' , a few mates and I started drinking all the scotch (all the kids never touched it).  Later the next day I figured we drank about a bottle and a half each (maybe more for me). End Game right there.  

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, ninja said:

and as someone else said......... do NOT  give the finger 

i used to keep the newpaper with photo of falang lying in the street..... shot at light after doing so.

that got the message across to me.    cursing the fkr out works best for me to release anger.   while sitting in my car out ,   and out of distance....naturally

Carrying a small firearm works better.

• Cool 1

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Oh to be young again.  The Glenfiddich used to be my favourite, until someone gave me a bottle of Macallan.  I still like them - by they dont like me anymore. Only rarely and in moderation nowadays.

Agreed absolutely about 'they don't like me any more'. I really like single malt.
Back in the UK I subscribed to a single malt club which sent two different miniature bottles every month, allowing you to discover and sample so many.
My all-time favourite is Laphroaig (from the Isle of Islay). It has a strong peaty after-taste. I also like Glenmorangie which is really smooth-tasting.
Oh dear, I'm way down memory lane already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ninja said:

they also probably really enjoy their "free time".       gives em time to catch up on facebook   😚

I bet they're friends on facebook and compare notes.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Agreed absolutely about 'they don't like me any more'. I really like single malt.
Back in the UK I subscribed to a single malt club which sent two different miniature bottles every month, allowing you to discover and sample so many.
My all-time favourite is Laphroaig (from the Isle of Islay). It has a strong peaty after-taste. I also like Glenmorangie which is really smooth-tasting.
Oh dear, I'm way down memory lane already.

Nothing wrong with going down that lane mate - just remember to walk back out though 😁

I never tried Laphroaig - but I have tried Glenmorangie a few times - nice. 

There are many things that old blokes wish were in their memory lane, like bonking Cindy Crawford or Halle Berry. Another of mine is to have had a taste of a 1926 Macallan 🤩

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DesperateOldHand said:

Almost a commonplace venture for Thai guys.

well we should all try to integrate and fit into the culture

14 hours ago, Thommo said:

my gf warned me not to get angry whilst driving and riding at anyone outside of bkk as they most likely would have a gun 

I always call out idiots who cut me up, with horn, lights or a raised finger. Most Thai guys are cowards, morons, or a combination of the two when they are driving, but, and its a big but, i would never leave my car to confront anyone. I'm not that stupid.