News Forum - Thailand’s come a long way battling Covid-19 since September

Thaiger

With the rise of the highly-transmissible Omicron variant and our duty to report new developments in the spread of Covid-19, it’s easy to get a doom and gloom vibe from the news. But looking at the big picture in Thailand, deaths, infections, and hospitalisations have been steadily decreasing since peaking in August. So. to celebrate the new year, The Thaiger looks back at the Covid-19 data over the last 4 months of 2021 from September 1 to January 1 to see that, while we’re not out of the woods yet, Thailand has certainly come a long way since the middle […]

The story Thailand’s come a long way battling Covid-19 since September as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Yes the numbers are declining but so are the testing numbers and they don't include ATK numbers, so who are they trying to fool, themselves ? 555

TIT.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Oh Dear....blind ignorance.....I guess it's time to tell them about Omicron.....

A strain that is still suspect in it's proposed severity. 

Never that bad here and remains so - reflective of Asia, in general.

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

... sending death rates soaring and governments scrambling to lock down the country and contain the virus.

"governments" ?

I didn't realise there'd been a change in government recently ... I must have missed the elections - damn!

So who's the new guy in charge 😂?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Stonker said:

"governments" ?

I didn't realise there'd been a change in government recently ... I must have missed the elections - damn!

http://countrystudies.us/thailand/78.htm, etc. I'm 100% convinced you could have found stuff like that yourself and I even generally agree with you most of the time (although I'm less adamant about it).

... but come on, at least give some credit for Thaiger's attempt to balance things up, for whatever that affects.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Stonker said:

"governments" ?

Nah. Same as the old boss.

40 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

I even generally agree with you most of the time (although I'm less adamant about it).

..... better not admit that ... it could get you in trouble 😱.

... and why pick September, unless you're artificially and deliberately cherry picking when infections and deaths started to drop?

Why not pick April, which was when the government policy most notably changed, with less than 100 deaths in over a year until then, an average of around 5 a month, followed by nearly 28,000 deaths in 9 months - an average of over 3,000 a month or over 600 times that?

That doesn't paint such a rosy picture ..... 😕.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

13 minutes ago, Stonker said:

... and why pick September, unless you're artificially and deliberately cherry picking when infections and deaths started to drop?

Why not pick April, which was when the government policy most notably changed, with less than 100 deaths in over a year until then, an average of around 5 a month, followed by nearly 28,000 deaths in 9 months - an average of over 3,000 a month or over 600 times that?

That doesn't paint such a rosy picture ..... 😕.

And all of that.....the picture still secures a heavy tint of rose, compared to a good portion of the world which has been in chaos for quite some time. 

If you look back Thailand was first to boast the country was Covid safe then followed an avalanche of infections will history repeat itself with omicron but who knows that maybe a god send if mild and creates herd immunity and an end to the Pandemic 

• Like 1

You really think this is bc of the govt "battling" corona?  You're a bunch of sycophants.  Omicron is less deadly, as was Delta relative to the previous variants.  This is the virus running it's course.  All of the government actions around the world have done nothing but keeping up appearances of doing something.  Mask mandates are a joke, except for N95 indoors.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WR2 said:

You really think this is bc of the govt "battling" corona?  You're a bunch of sycophants.  Omicron is less deadly, as was Delta relative to the previous variants.  This is the virus running it's course.  All of the government actions around the world have done nothing but keeping up appearances of doing something.  Mask mandates are a joke, except for N95 indoors.

This actual research, and many others, seem to challenge your comment "as was Delta relative to the previous variants".

https://www.cmaj.ca/content/193/42/E1619

Too early to tell for Omicron. Hopefully you are proven correct. Mixed scientific reports on the matter so far which is symptomatic of early reporting.

Just an observation. An opinion becomes more believable and accepted by others if you supply factual scientific proof rather than choosing to label others when making unsubstantiated claims. Otherwise other members are left to judge the value of your opinion by just your rhetoric. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the New Year Cheer, The Thaiger, but...let's get REAL!

Only 65% Thais double-vaccinated, with one estimate putting 50% of those as having received 2 doses of a vaccine with relatively low effectiveness against infection.

The authorities actively encouraged the New Year's extravaganza, with so many Thais travelling by road, with no testing requirement...https://twitter.com/ittipat_tv/status/1477882803144441857

So let's. at least, wait 3 weeks into the New Year before dishing out too many congratulations about reduced hospitalisations, etc.

rather naive ,to believe a word said, a highly transmissible virus,yet latest figures out, hoover around the 3000 mark ?? and did anyone watch the Bocelli concert