News Forum - Covid is starting to have economic effects, without government lockdowns or border closures

Thaiger

Over the past 2 years (and it is nearly 2 years since the first case of Covid-19 was identified outside of China on January 14, 2020 in Thailand), the economic impact of the virus spreading has been caused almost entirely by governments acting to limit the spread – lockdowns, restrictions and border closures. Now, the latest variant of Covid, Omicron, is showing that, despite its lower lethality, it has the capacity to affect economies without any human intervention. The situation in the US, UK, some European countries and Argentina, specifically, has not been replicated, yet, in most of Asia. More […]

The story Covid is starting to have economic effects, without government lockdowns or border closures as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Looks like Tim is "on call" to write these articles from some Phuket Hotel. I wouldn't be looking to the US as an indicator of anything except how not to deal with a pandemic. They have made three good vaccines. Pfizer, Moderna and J&J. And the world needs to be thankful for that. Let's hope that 2022 is the year we human beings prove that we can beat a microscopic organism that has robbed us all of our lives....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

Looks like Tim is "on call" to write these articles from some Phuket Hotel. I wouldn't be looking to the US as an indicator of anything except how not to deal with a pandemic. They have made three good vaccines. Pfizer, Moderna and J&J. And the world needs to be thankful for that. Let's hope that 2022 is the year we human beings prove that we can beat a microscopic organism that has robbed us all of our lives....

Surely, any intelligent being wouldn't be observing any such comparative example as to how to mishandle and mismanage a crisis as the U.S. has - completely mangled. 

"Tell the thousands of airline staff, hospital workers and workers, in hundreds of workplaces across the US, that “it’s just a mild cold”. Whilst that is the case for most cases, the sheer volume of new infections is producing enough cases of people needing to take time off work, and enough hospitalisations, to put renewed pressure on the US hospital system."

The issues concern mandatory quarantine due to infection. People who are not sick still need to quarantine. The quarantine is a government measure. Since people don't really get sick mostly from this new variant many could still continue working if they were allowed. But instead they are forced to sit at home. I just came out of Europe and the main problem is not people dying or getting severely Ill. The problem is all the people in quarantine not being allowed to go about their daily business. Look to Africa and see how to handle this

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Johnnyb2 said:

"Tell the thousands of airline staff, hospital workers and workers, in hundreds of workplaces across the US, that “it’s just a mild cold”. Whilst that is the case for most cases, the sheer volume of new infections is producing enough cases of people needing to take time off work, and enough hospitalisations, to put renewed pressure on the US hospital system."

The issues concern mandatory quarantine due to infection. People who are not sick still need to quarantine. The quarantine is a government measure. Since people don't really get sick mostly from this new variant many could still continue working if they were allowed. But instead they are forced to sit at home. I just came out of Europe and the main problem is not people dying or getting severely Ill. The problem is all the people in quarantine not being allowed to go about their daily business. Look to Africa and see how to handle this

...and we follow like good sheep. 

The more reasoned ones.

and Iditootic republicans in US do all what they can to destroy their counttry by denying simple fact.  beleiving in conspirathy ideas - the next day story more crazy and gak then the day before. the whole world are watching, ,  cant beleive that any can  beelive such insane storyes.    

4 minutes ago, Bifrost said:

and Iditootic republicans in US do all what they can to destroy their counttry by denying simple fact.  beleiving in conspirathy ideas - the next day story more crazy and gak then the day before. the whole world are watching, ,  cant beleive that any can  beelive such insane storyes.    

Most don't.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Most don't.

Yes, of course.

And most of the world isn't watching nor gives a rat's backside about the U.S. - except for those culturally-centric types that everything spins through that imperial state. Purely fancy.

58 minutes ago, Jason said:

Looks like Tim has no idea of what's been happening in Thai factories and with Thai industries, with reduced demand, reduced production and reduced working hours.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Looks like Tim has no idea of what's been happening in Thai factories and with Thai industries, with reduced demand, reduced production and reduced working hours.

Well....can't know everything.

Easier to make up such punditry as we go. 

44 minutes ago, Johnnyb2 said:

Look to Africa and see how to handle this

Yes ... all we need to do is reduce the average age from 41 (43 in Europe) to 27 ...

... doing as you suggest should ensure that happens without any problem ... 😂 ...

This article could have stopped after the 2nd paragraph and skipped over the 1st; the rest is just filler.
Not disagreeing with the observations, but how is something that was plain to see for everyone over a month ago news now? My only concern is whether or not the medical sector will be overloaded, since that outcome  (whatever it may be) will set the course for the next few decennia.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

This article could have stopped after the 2nd paragraph and skipped over the 1st; the rest is just filler.
Not disagreeing with the observations, but how is something that was plain to see for everyone over a month ago news now? My only concern is whether or not the medical sector will be overloaded, since that outcome  (whatever it may be) will set the course for the next few decennia.

For those keen observers, you should've taken notice long ago that anything considered news or newsworthy is largely based on rhetoric and related linguistic styles. 

If 20% of the GDP comes from tourism and tourism has basically been shuttered by the government, then the title of this article is a patent lie.  The cause of everything IS the government intervention. 

12 hours ago, Bifrost said:

Look no futher than liberal states to see the asinine responses and ill advised measures. And you want to blame Republicans. Brandon is President incase you forgot.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Stonker said:

Yes ... all we need to do is reduce the average age from 41 (43 in Europe) to 27 ...

... doing as you suggest should ensure that happens without any problem ... 😂 ...

Lowering the average age of Europe? I can assure you the EU is working on that through population replacement immigration.

Just an observation mate. Your fear of omicron is unvalidated. And the time has passed for working people and children to sit at home to accommodate your fear of dying. I say we continue living, and you are free to continue isolate yourself up at home as much as you like. 

• Like 1

1. no solution is talked or used,
"in 99.99 % of news, government, etc. pages, for years at all topics".
but some people still think they can trust them.

2. most people worldwide are never interested in governments,
or complicated theories, but some people think, all the others are misinformed
and it has nothing to do with, go out, watch and talk with many people, many times.

act, as in a virutal world, full of visions ( t.v. /tell vision ), with all the assumptions
whiich is repeated daily and fear-making as in religion, is of coourse the, right, ehm sorry left way to go.

5 hours ago, Johnnyb2 said:

Just an observation mate. Your fear of omicron is unvalidated. And the time has passed for working people and children to sit at home to accommodate your fear of dying. I say we continue living, and you are free to continue isolate yourself up at home as much as you like. 

Well, you're entitled to your view and to "say" what you like, however if your wish to "continue living" is at the expense of those who would also like a similar opportunity to do the same that's when it becomes rather selfish.

... and FWIW, my "fear" isn't so much of Omicron itself, but of the effect it will have and is already starting to have on hospitals across the UK and Europe, and their ability to treat those with other unrelated issues - and that's got nothing to do with "mandatory quarantine during infection" but is down to the death rate of those hospitalised with Omicron, of between 1 in 8 and 1 in 12.  Sorry, but I don't know how to explain this any more simply than I and others already have, several times, with links to the UKHSA confirming the numbers.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-omicron-daily-overview

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnnyb2 said:

Lowering the average age of Europe? I can assure you the EU is working on that through population replacement immigration.

There are some medical types in the UK, who are saying all be it privately, to let Omicron run, as it has become the dominant variant, and could well push the more lethal Delta variant out of existence. The fact Omicron is not killing people in the same way or numbers, as Delta, must be viewed with optimism. I know that people are falling ill for a week or ten days, but it's better than the alternative. 

23 hours ago, Jason said:

Agreed @Jason. However, we mustn’t forget that the reason countries like the US have seemingly handled the pandemic bad, is that they are open, libertarian and Enlightened societies. This is what has led them, over hundreds of years, to develop the economies, universities and technical know how to invent and produce such vaccines that will solve the Covid problem. The downside of such societies is that they won’t do what governments “advise” or even “instruct” them to do. They are full of pesky free thinking individuals who find loopholes and ways around laws and rules. The perfect environment for a virus to spread. To criticise the US for the high Covid numbers is to bite the hand that feeds you. I don’t see many effective vaccines coming out of anywhere else other than similar open, libertarian and Enlightened societies. 

• Like 1