Keep an Eye on your Bank accounts

Lowseasonlover

Keep an eye on your accounts for un authorized withdrawals we have had 4 this week not huge amounts but in total 4500 baht started off at 800 baht then each one going up,

I now know what happened my wife went to buy something last Monday and she didnt have enough cash and had left her C/C's at home so she used the ATM/DEBIT card, we have not used that card for maybe 6 months that I can remember then on Tuesday was the first two charges then Wednesday another two charges with the amount going up, my wife called the bank and the charges were for advertising fair play to the bank they have stopped that card and will pay us back.

An investigation has kicked in because we can pinpoint exactly where the card was used it was not used at an ATM for now lets say in a shop, I dont want to post on here any names for now,

Also yesterday my wife called some friends and it has happened to 3 of them, one of them went upto 18,000 baht before she noticed, yep she also got it back,

Just a word of warning to all my TT friends, Happy New Year

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Good heads up thanks, hearing this a lot these days.

My bank sends me an sms for any withdrawal and it is instant, if I use the ATM I get the sms before i've even taken my card out.

I can also freeze and unfreeze my card with their online banking, again instant.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Transam said:

Everyone should have their bank app that sends a message to their phone of any transaction in or out of their account, think it costs me 15bht a month..

Totally agree.

I believe there is a minimum transaction to receive an sms ... Bangkok bank is ฿500 using their Mastercard debit card. ฿15 per month sms fee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Transam said:

Everyone should have their bank app that sends a message to their phone of any transaction in or out of their account, think it costs me 15bht a month..

My wife now tells me she also pays for that but Tuesdays transactions it didn't notify her, Wednesday it did notify her thats when we noticed the others,

11 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

My wife now tells me she also pays for that but Tuesdays transactions it didn't notify her, Wednesday it did notify her thats when we noticed the others,

My stepson got around 10k taken out of his account 6 months ago

The bank has been horrendous dealing with it 

• Like 1

Bangkok Bank recently lowered their SMS withdrawal message alerts from 500 to 0 Baht for Debit. Also same with CC. So any activity is sent to you instantly.  

This happened after the first series of these illegal small amount withdrawals began a few months ago. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Bangkok Bank recently lowered their SMS withdrawal message alerts from 500 to 0 Baht for Debit. Also same with CC. So any activity is sent to you instantly.  

This happened after the first series of these illegal small amount withdrawals began a few months ago. 

Yes. I forgot that, thanks.👍

The only difference is with transactions under ฿500 they don't give the balance on the account.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

My stepson got around 10k taken out of his account 6 months ago

The bank has been horrendous dealing with it 

They said we will get the money back in 5 days, my wife's friend did get hers back which was 18,000 

On 12/31/2021 at 1:43 AM, HolyCowCm said:

Tis the season to have ATM card bank fraud, falla la la la be care-r-ful. All my cards are sms linked.

Stop doing business with the bangsters and financial mafias. 

They're not your friends.

9 hours ago, Rain said:

Stop doing business with the bangsters and financial mafias. 

They're not your friends.

It might be early in the year, but the above statement is for sure THE understatement of the year.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, thaifarmer said:

It might be early in the year, but the above statement is for sure THE understatement of the year.

Yet, not terribly understood. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 5:52 PM, Lowseasonlover said:

Keep an eye on your accounts for un authorized withdrawals we have had 4 this week not huge amounts but in total 4500 baht started off at 800 baht then each one going up,

I now know what happened my wife went to buy something last Monday and she didnt have enough cash and had left her C/C's at home so she used the ATM/DEBIT card, we have not used that card for maybe 6 months that I can remember then on Tuesday was the first two charges then Wednesday another two charges with the amount going up, my wife called the bank and the charges were for advertising fair play to the bank they have stopped that card and will pay us back.

An investigation has kicked in because we can pinpoint exactly where the card was used it was not used at an ATM for now lets say in a shop, I dont want to post on here any names for now,

Also yesterday my wife called some friends and it has happened to 3 of them, one of them went upto 18,000 baht before she noticed, yep she also got it back,

Just a word of warning to all my TT friends, Happy New Year

Good advice in any country. 

It can happen anywhere, in any country. 

I've had multiple cards hijacked after using them at dodgy places, all outside of Thailand.

One time my card had been cloned and used in a neighboring country (not Thailand). 

I prefer cash for this reason, among others. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 2:03 AM, Transam said:

My NatWest app tells me for free. :)