News Forum - 100% Wear a Helmet campaign will have police lend a helmet to offenders

Thaiger

12 hours ago, Cruising said:

People should have a choice to wear a helmet

The  choice being helmet = free  hospital, no helmet  = no free  hospital

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cruising said:

People should have a choice to wear a helmet. Like anything ells, freedom of speech and like decisions is very important.

It's like wearing a seat belt to protect yourself. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, birdman said:

No,no and no.There are certain rules made up to protect people from being stupid,

this is one of them.Why should other people have to pay for your wrong choice?

No helmet Is going to stop your head from bursting like a melon by a big truck

I suspect that most are ingrained with such ideas the the government or authorities are terribly concerned with one's health and well being.....

That's not how it works. 

12 hours ago, birdman said:

No,no and no.There are certain rules made up to protect people from being stupid,

this is one of them.Why should other people have to pay for your wrong choice?

That's a backward way of thinking. It's basically a crime to dictate the actions of people that do not harm others.

You hit on the real problem, "stupid".

Where I'm from it is a choice to wear a helmet. That is the law not to violate human rights. And because people are educated, not stupid, no one has accidents. And the police actually do a good job with high performance cruisers to chase down bad drivers and put them behind bars or at least a fine and fees that adverage 200,000 Baht or jail until it's paid, loss of drivers license...

Unsafe vehicles are also a violation and costly. Absolutely no one gets away from being caught. FYI brand new motorbikes and most motorcycles are not safe to ride in stock form. Few people realize that big issue in itself.

3 hours ago, Cruising said:

That's a backward way of thinking. It's basically a crime to dictate the actions of people that do not harm others.

Regarding helmets.

Nope, making it illegal to not wear a helmet is for the riders safety.

Many people, especially the young ones, don't fully understand how dangerous it can be not to wear one.

Which country are you from?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Regarding helmets.

Many people, especially the young ones, don't fully understand how dangerous it can be not to wear one.

It's not only helmets that many people here in Thailand don't understand why the requirement to wear a helmet is for their safety.

Seat belts fall into the same category.
My wife's niece and nephew (four and nine respectively) are made to put on a seatbelt in the back of the car and I make sure we don't move until they do.
Having said that, recently we  gave a lift to a fourteen-year-old and his grandmother. both complained bitterly about having to put on the seatbelt. I just said if they didn't, we weren't going anywhere.

I see it as a  lack of education generally that prevent people using critical thinking.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

It's not only helmets that many people here in Thailand don't understand why the requirement to wear a helmet is for their safety.

Seat belts fall into the same category.
My wife's niece and nephew (four and nine respectively) are made to put on a seatbelt in the back of the car and I make sure we don't move until they do.
Having said that, recently we  gave a lift to a fourteen-year-old and his grandmother. both complained bitterly about having to put on the seatbelt. I just said if they didn't, we weren't going anywhere.

I see it as a  lack of education generally that prevent people using critical thinking.

Most Thais I know automatically buckle up. I think compliance is  the same as in the US. Have you ever wondered what Thai police are doing at checkpoints, well besides checking registration and if the driver looks OK, they check to see if the driver and passengers have their seat belts fastened.  Bet you though they were just waiving you through, but not really.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Most Thais I know automatically buckle up. I think compliance is  the same as in the US. Have you ever wondered what Thai police are doing at checkpoints, well besides checking registration and if the driver looks OK, they check to see if the driver and passengers have their seat belts fastened.  Bet you though they were just waiving you through, but not really.  

Ha ha, checkpoints. I saw one when cycling the other day. Apart from that I haven't seen one for over a year in our neck of the woods.

7 hours ago, Faraday said:

Regarding helmets.

Take a guess....😉

On 1/1/2022 at 8:33 AM, Cruising said:

It's basically a crime to dictate the actions of people that do not harm others.

Strange country you are from,and besides that we are in Thailand.

Harming others is a very broad spectrum i think.

Some one not wearing a helmet can have an accident that costs other people

(society) a lot of money,if it is proven wearing a helmet is safer then it should be used.

Here it is the law to do so,like many other countries.

On 12/31/2021 at 7:34 PM, Shark said:

This depends on what the police will check;
1. Ability to drive: Your DL.
2. Legal visa: Your passport.

Yeah I sussed that much. What I'm wondering is, are the ordinary, garden-variety police here are interested in immigration status at all.  I'd think they'd want to leave that to the immigration police.  Or are there no such thing as immigration police here and the regular brown uniforms are responsible for everything?

I'll carry a snapshot of my latest extension stamps in my phone just in case.

On 1/1/2022 at 7:31 AM, RampantRabbit said:

The  choice being helmet = free  hospital, no helmet  = no free  hospital

i would hate to think how many thai's live with a life long aquired brain injury due to not wearing a  helmet when they had an accident which may have elinated or reduced their injury.

On 12/30/2021 at 9:28 PM, Marc26 said:

Thais get it much more than farangs

Just idiots on here who never go beyond Pattaya or Phuket will spout nonsense, as usual

My wife lives in Samut Prakan area of Bangkok

Her brothers are consistently stopped and piss taked on their MB's

Not that that is a good thing, a bit heavy handed but it happens way more than to farangs 

Unfair ! I have been to ALL the tourist towns here from my Phuket base …

Seriously couldn’t care less about anyone not riding safely. Many Farangs equally bad when on bikes. No Helmet & Flip Flops…..with huge gut acting as Airbag……

Once when posting on basic MB Safety, some comedian said “ you forgot the man walking in front with a red flag”…….

On 1/1/2022 at 8:33 AM, Cruising said:

It's basically a crime to dictate the actions of people that do not harm others.

But deliberately putting people at the risk of not getting an ambulance when they need it, taking up a hospital bed when it could easily be avoided, and adding to those who need assistance and care does harm others.

"And because people are educated, not stupid, no one has accidents. ... Absolutely no one gets away from being caught. FYI brand new motorbikes and most motorcycles are not safe to ride in stock form. Few people realize that big issue in itself."

Everybody here gets it wrong sometimes and says something "stupid", some more than others, but I've never seen anyone who takes it to this level on only their second post. Congratulations 😯.

On 1/1/2022 at 7:28 AM, RampantRabbit said:

nor me, they can carry  me off and lock me up if they want

Locking you out would be a simpler solution.

15 hours ago, Stonker said:

Locking you out would be a simpler solution.

Many  more places to go thats for  sure...............but I'd miss  you 

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2022 at 6:19 PM, Augratin said:

Yeah I sussed that much. What I'm wondering is, are the ordinary, garden-variety police here are interested in immigration status at all.  I'd think they'd want to leave that to the immigration police.  Or are there no such thing as immigration police here and the regular brown uniforms are responsible for everything?

I'll carry a snapshot of my latest extension stamps in my phone just in case.

Officially all are police just various departments within the RTP.
They can ask for anything they like and as an military ruled company they can enforce such things too whatever they feel like. It's just as simple as that.

Having snaps at-least helps making your life easier. But still officially.... you need to wear your passport on you at all times, however RTP has been reasonable to myself on my explanation WHY i don't wear it on me. However again if your out on business for example just a work permit doesn't do.