News Forum - Omicron infections in Thailand up to 729, 251 local transmissions

Thaiger

Dr Supakit Sirilak, director-general of the Medical Sciences Department, has reported an update on the quickly growing number of Omicron infections in Thailand. The latest data shows 488 cases of the Omicron variant of Covid-19 brought in from abroad as well as 251 troublesome locally transmitted infections of the highly transmissible variant. The 739 total identified Omicron variant infections are only fully confirmed cases, ones that have gone through the whole genome sequencing testing. The totals have climbed over 200 infections in just the last 3 days since Sunday, and there may be more cases that have not yet been […]

The story Omicron infections in Thailand up to 729, 251 local transmissions as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

3 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Yes, forget about Delta cases, let's count seasonal flu-like infections instead

Wouldn't counting those testing positive be a better idea?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Yeah, those need to be confirmed first, and we all know now how accurate are those tests. It would not be a BREAKING news then. I would like to see which rapid tests are Omicron approved in Thailand 

So where is the evidence that shows the 488 cases were imported, because surly these would need to be people that tested positive at point of entry, sha, sha+ etc. Otherwise, they could just as easily be local transmissions.

The lady returning from Switzerland, having been negative before departure and negative RT-PCR on arrival, but tested positive later, is almost certainly a local transmission. 

I remember when there was a hand full of infections in the UK and it was only two or three weeks ago. Today (BBC) quoted over 180.000 infections in 24 hrs, similar in France. Ok, not all will be omicron, but most will. 

much more Omicron already exits in the Kingdom than is realised and it will sweep the nation. That has to be a given.

The good news so far, is that from the 180.000 there were only 800 hospitalisation’s in comparison to the main pandemic event, when there were 4000 hospitalisation’s a day. 
Its also reported today (BBC), that ICU’s are no where near as busy in comparison and that 90% of those in ICU are at different states of vaccination up to and including not boosted. 

Fact - it will come and it will go, until the next variant. it’s part of life’s great tapestry now and just something we have to get on with. 

But as for this reporting of imported/local transmission. It has no value and adds nothing to the article, It’s just a form of unnecessary and inflammatory discrimination against many nations (remember when Thailand refused to accept there was a Thai variant)  of course they were right. There only ever needs to be one case of a variant, it’s true origin is totally unknown.

In my opinion, the Omicron variant, as with all the others, could have been born anywhere in the world. The only true origin of the pandemic is, well I think that’s up to us as individuals to decide where Covid was born.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BBY said:

The only true origin of the pandemic is, well I think that’s up to us as individuals to decide where Covid was born.

Like most things in nature it'll return to its birthplace, usually a lot bigger and smarter than when it left.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BBY said:

In my opinion, the Omicron variant, as with all the others, could have been born anywhere in the world. The only true origin of the pandemic is, well I think that’s up to us as individuals to decide where Covid was born.

Well it will be impossible to prove the origins of the virus .

But from all the hypothetical scenarios , the one that favors a zoonosis , a transmission that originally took place between an animal as carrier of the virus , and a human that become infected by it , is the most plausible one .

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1904370/humans-to-blame-for-spread-of-coronavirus-and-other-zoonoses?utm_campaign=enewsletter regular&utm_source=enewsletter_alert&utm_medium=World

(* "The emergence of zoonotic diseases is often associated with environmental changes or ecological disturbances, such as agricultural intensification and human settlement, or encroachments into forests and other habitats," said a 2016 UNEP report. *)

My theory is that a captured pangolin ( who came into contact with bat excrements ) was slaughtered at the Wuhan wet market in front of a customer who got exposed to some minuscule blood droplets of the infected pangolin .

A zoonotic infection .

Why this first transmission happened at a time when the Amazon rainforest was set alight by the Bolsonaro supporters , while the global warming accelerates , disturbing the balance of many ecosystems , man made pollution that is omnipresent is another factor of the rapid degradation of natural systems that were self-balancing for ages until mankind's efforts and greed harmed or destroyed them .

Thousand of well documented facts about this are to be found in the Web .

Look at the timing of the arrival of the Corona virus ...

I think that our planet is living . It is some kind of organism itself , where everything is connected and balanced to be able to create new life by evolution .

Even there is no ' planet B ' for us , there are still billions of similar planets in other Galaxies in the Universe .

The Universe itself is some kind of ' experiment ' to find a species that is able to further evolve and survive in a functioning and healthy biosphere .

A species that destroys it's own planet's biosphere , destroys it's own future .

But , even that simple fact seems to be difficult to realize in a human society that is , ( human nature ) , based on individual greed and the incapability of the human race to all work TOGETHER  to find a solution to the continuing degradation of our own environment , that we are just a part of .

The Virus itself is just a part of this planet's immune system , and it acts to eliminate the threat imposed on the biosphere by human action .

We , as a species , need to learn that we are just a part of it , we are not the ' owner ' .

There is nothing that really belongs to us here ... we are just permitted to live on this planet as the dominant species , but we are not permitted to destroy the balance of it's life-creating ecosystems .

There is a reason in all this .

The Virus teaches us a lesson , that we need to live in HARMONY with our planet and RESPECT it's natural , million year old systems that enabled our species to evolve enough to become the dominant species here .

But , as long as we destroy instead of preserving what we need to survive ourselves , we will be seen by the planet as a threat that needs to be eliminated . That is what the Virus is for .

Edited by Nobodysfriend

8 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The latest data shows 488 cases of the Omicron variant of Covid-19 brought in from abroad as well as 251 troublesome locally transmitted infections of the highly transmissible variant. 

My daily Lottery numbers

Hopefully the Thai Administration will finally realize that Omicron can't be stopped and that the data proves it's way less dangerous than Delta. With that conclusion, they might even open back the registration of the Test and Go scheme on the 4th of January.

Who am I kidding, there's probably 1 out of 10 chance it might happen. :)

Edited by Rimla
  • Cool 1

In Sync with Indian count of " O Micron" , good going on.

i hoping to see an 100% jump after new year !

You will see a catching slogan :   "Close all, work from home, very intensively, else go to intensive care !!"

1 hour ago, Rimla said:

Hopefully the Thai Administration will finally realize that Omicron can't be stopped and that the data proves it's way less dangerous than Delta. With that conclusion, they might even open back the registration of the Test and Go scheme on the 4th of January.

They might shutdown the whole country due to the panic mode by the PM, CCSA, TAT & that chicken little piece of s*** Anutin. I just hope that they let the farangs with the booster shot in first with Pfizer, Moderna & AZ which are effective against Omicron.

• Like 1

Omicron will spread with exponential growth as it has in every country it has spread to and will spread to (including my country). It's frightening in the rapid way it spreads for sure. But studies coming out of South Africa (not yet peer reviewed) are showing that those infected with Omicron are showing a resistance to Delta. If this trend continues, this may just spell the end of Delta. If it does and Omicron continues to be less deadly or leading to serious illness, this is how Covid could end. I know there's a lot of coulds in that, but the Spanish Flu, which was the last pandemic of this size and scope, petered out...more likely in a similar way. We're not at the point of having Omicron parties so everyone can get infected and get over it, but it is an interesting possibility....time will tell. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, palooka said:

Like most things in nature it'll return to its birthplace, usually a lot bigger and smarter than when it left.

Nature has her way. 

8 hours ago, Rimla said:

Fair comment, @Rimlaand welcome to Thaiger Talk, where we hope to see plenty more from you!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jason said:

We're not at the point of having Omicron parties so everyone can get infected and get over it, but it is an interesting possibility....time will tell. 

Waning immunity and reinfection puts paid to that notion

9 hours ago, Stonker said:

None so far.

None anywhere, actually. 

Even though the delusional promotion that there are test that can detect Omicron or any other variant of the last couple of years. 

Needn't look behind the false curtain, as there's nothing to see.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Omicron will spread with exponential growth as it has in every country it has spread to and will spread to (including my country). It's frightening in the rapid way it spreads for sure. But studies coming out of South Africa (not yet peer reviewed) are showing that those infected with Omicron are showing a resistance to Delta. If this trend continues, this may just spell the end of Delta. If it does and Omicron continues to be less deadly or leading to serious illness, this is how Covid could end. I know there's a lot of coulds in that, but the Spanish Flu, which was the last pandemic of this size and scope, petered out...more likely in a similar way. We're not at the point of having Omicron parties so everyone can get infected and get over it, but it is an interesting possibility....time will tell. 

So right Jason. 

Have a read sir.
Google “how a pandemic becomes endemic” it’s quite interesting how traces of a pandemic from the 1800’s is still evident in some strains of the common cold today. I believe that will be the path Covid takes. Only time will tell. 

You will find it Mandy! Also...getting some rapid antigen tests for yourself would be a good idea. Just a handy hint from a country where Omicron is spreading exponentially.

On 12/29/2021 at 9:57 PM, Stonker said:

Positive for what ? Paranoia ? Collective insanity ? Gullibility ?

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 12:32 AM, Thaiger said:

News Forum - Omicron infections in Thailand up to 729, 251 local transmissions

WOW is that a click bait title or what !!! …. Some may think only 20k transmissions off 750k 😉 and they would be well on there way to lockdown.

20 hours ago, BBY said:

So right Jason. 

Have a read sir.
Google “how a pandemic becomes endemic” it’s quite interesting how traces of a pandemic from the 1800’s is still evident in some strains of the common cold today. I believe that will be the path Covid takes. Only time will tell. 

Nature has a continuing plan.