Mince Pies

Dedinbed

Xmas is over and the goose is getting fat n'all that but why are mince pies called 'erm mince pies , because they haven't got minced meat in them , only currants , sultanas , and spices .. and where did the Turkey come from ? I seen nothing in the Nativity plays where gobbling turkey's are running around so what's the deal there ..

IMG_20211229_071347.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

Mince pies are called such because as early as the 13th century minced meat was exactly the filling that was used in the pies. But during the 1st world war, meat became in short supply and so every foreign agent that was captured were either hung and in the case of the vertical challenged agents they were ground down to enable filling for these pies, thus the name was slightly changed to mini spies.

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

This brings back memories:

Of my mother's cooking at Christmas..

Of my father, who always called them Pince Mies...

Eating Turkey soup, sandwiches & salads, all through January..

White Christmas...well, I haven't seen one since 1972. But you know what I mean: Hopefully...

Mistletoe & trying to snog girls, using it as an excuse...

Now, though, that happiness has been replaced by a life, that, not for one moment, did I ever think about.

30 minutes ago, Faraday said:

my father, who always called them Pince Mies...

Suffering from Spoonerism. Was a 'well oiled bicycle' then 'a well boiled icicle'?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 11:15 PM, Dedinbed said:

Xmas is over and the goose is getting fat n'all that but why are mince pies called 'erm mince pies , because they haven't got minced meat in them , only currants , sultanas , and spices .. and where did the Turkey come from ? I seen nothing in the Nativity plays where gobbling turkey's are running around so what's the deal there ..

IMG_20211229_071347.jpg

Nativity plays! 

Nativity plays show the baby Jesus in Fall in a manger. Yet, Christmas is in...late December - mid winter! 

There's usually sheep in nativity plays so where's the holiday mutton?! 

Not gonna do anything camel related - milk or meat - as I'm suspecting it's gonna be awful. Anyone can confirm?