Microwave safe plates & dishes

Bluesofa

Does anyone know if it's easy to find tupperware-type plates & dishes that are microwavable?

I tried searching the Big C website, but entering 'microwave' only showed up a small 'microwave tray' to put food on before transferring it to a plate after cooking/heating.
Lotus's website search function doesn't work, even searching for 'rice' doesn't do anything.

48 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Does anyone know if it's easy to find tupperware-type plates & dishes that are microwavable?

I tried searching the Big C website, but entering 'microwave' only showed up a small 'microwave tray' to put food on before transferring it to a plate after cooking/heating.
Lotus's website search function doesn't work, even searching for 'rice' doesn't do anything.

I know Lazada isn't everyones cup of tea but they do have a vast array of bowls, not so much plates though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marble-eye said:

I know Lazada isn't everyones cup of tea but they do have a vast array of bowls, not so much plates though.

Thanks I'll have a look, although I'd rather see them first when buying something like this.

• Like 1

These are melamine-like. Ugly, but good for outdoor dining or for party's. Definitely work in the microwave. Findable in Makro. Can find in white, blue, and pink.

IMG_20211229_145912.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, El_Trauco said:

These are melamine-like. Ugly, but good for outdoor dining or for party's. Definitely work in the microwave. Findable in Makro. Can find in white, blue, and pink.

IMG_20211229_145912.jpg

Do you know if they say they are microwave safe?
We have some similar to those which we have used in the microwave. They don't say 'microwave safe' on them, and after a while the plastic/melamine/whatever starts to chip off.

Most melamine products are ok for microwave use so long as extreme heat is not applied, ie: when over-cooking dense foodstuff.  Some of the cheaper end no-name brands can be suss and all should carry a 'not suitable for microwave use' label due to the extreme heat issue.

Having said that, I would suggest a commercial product from Makro.  Buy one plate or bowl and test it thoroughly before committing to a full set.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KaptainRob said:

Most melamine products are ok for microwave use so long as extreme heat is not applied, ie: when over-cooking dense foodstuff.  Some of the cheaper end no-name brands can be suss and all should carry a 'not suitable for microwave use' label due to the extreme heat issue.

Having said that, I would suggest a commercial product from Makro.  Buy one plate or bowl and test it thoroughly before committing to a full set.

The newer dishes we have are 'Srithai Superware' with no reference to microwave use. They are becoming marked after a coup-le of months microwave use.
Like you suggest, 'thoroughly road-testing' a new contender sounds best. I could end up putting on weight as a result of this comprehensive testing regime.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Do you know if they say they are microwave safe?
We have some similar to those which we have used in the microwave. They don't say 'microwave safe' on them, and after a while the plastic/melamine/whatever starts to chip off.

This is the imprinting on the plate bottom.

IMG_20211229_155628.jpg

3 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

microwavable

My mate likes to pretend he's a bomb disposal expert by hitting the stop button as near to 0:01 as he can .. didn't work the day he 'waved eggs though .. premature detonation left him with it all over his face ..   

• Haha 1

You piqued my curiosity, so I did a little snooping around to see if I've been poisoning myself via dinner plates. 

Consensus is: Don't use melamine plates in the microwave:

"Foods and drinks should not be heated on melamine-based dinnerware in microwave ovens."

Source: https://www.fda.gov/food/chemical-contaminants-food/melamine-tableware-questions-and-answers

Thanks to you, I now know I've been committing suicide. Looking forward to your thoughts and prayers.

🤦‍♂️

Sincerely,

El_Trauco de los muertos

• Like 1

9 hours ago, El_Trauco said:

You piqued my curiosity, so I did a little snooping around to see if I've been poisoning myself via dinner plates. 

Consensus is: Don't use melamine plates in the microwave:

"Foods and drinks should not be heated on melamine-based dinnerware in microwave ovens."

Source: https://www.fda.gov/food/chemical-contaminants-food/melamine-tableware-questions-and-answers

Thanks to you, I now know I've been committing suicide. Looking forward to your thoughts and prayers.

🤦‍♂️

Sincerely,

El_Trauco de los muertos

Thanks for your research into this.
I pray for both oursouls as I am sure I have used melamine dishes in the microwave.

In Thailand you have to check the plates in the shop I am afraid - they dont advertise them as such - but they do have them in stock.  If it does not have a microwave safe logo on it, then best to assume it is not.  You should never use cheap plastic/melamine plates in the microwave - you will end up eating the plastic (and the chemicals released). A bit like smoking - it takes a while - but it will make you sick. Unfortunately, many Thais have no idea that they cannot put certain things in a microwave. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

What is your main reason to want plastic plates that can safely be microwaved?

It's because apart from my wife always having bought plastic/melamine plates and dishes for normal use, they won't get broken so easily as ceramic ones, especially when being washed.

16 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

It's because apart from my wife always having bought plastic/melamine plates and dishes for normal use, they won't get broken so easily as ceramic ones, especially when being washed.

Ah ok.  Our household solution for re heating food (mostly from frozen storage) is to use microwave safe plastic containers and after heating transfer to standard plates or bowls. Over the years my wife has developed a dislike for melamine products. I buy the clear plastic containers from Makro that have lids. Intended to be disposable but they wash up well and reusable for generous individual servings of stews, curries, etc that can be made in large amounts and frozen. Rarely have leftovers or food that needs re heating from refridgerator only.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

Ah ok.  Our household solution for re heating food (mostly from frozen storage) is to use microwave safe plastic containers and after heating transfer to standard plates or bowls. Over the years my wife has developed a dislike for melamine products. I buy the clear plastic containers from Makro that have lids. Intended to be disposable but they wash up well and reusable for generous individual servings of stews, curries, etc that can be made in large amounts and frozen. Rarely have leftovers or food that needs re heating from refridgerator only.

Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if that might be a better idea, to move the food out of a microwave safe container after heating.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 12:07 AM, El_Trauco said:

IMG_20211229_145912.jpg

Nice. Makro.