News Forum - Is the new Boeing 737 Max safe to fly? A new book makes you wonder.

Thaiger

The photo is of the new Singapore Airlines Boeing 737-8. Except it’s not really. It’s a Boeing 737 MAX, the most controversial engineering makeover of the past 20 years. Singapore Airlines just don’t want you to know that it’s a ‘MAX’ with all the safety baggage that monicker now carries. A new book is out “Flying Blind — The 737 MAX Tragedy and the Fall of Boeing”, published by Doubleday. It’s a book you need to read if you fly on commercial planes. It’s out on the book shelves at the same time Indonesian flying authorities lift a ban on the latest Boeing 737 […]

The story Is the new Boeing 737 Max safe to fly? A new book makes you wonder. as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 3

So the Boeing executives are all sleeping well at night I guess after having allowed financial greed to overrule their judgement as human beings and thus leading to the death of so many people. I will never set my foot on such a plane. No in a million years.

• Like 4

I value my life and i refuse to fly in any Boeing aircraft after the way the company acted back when those crashes took place,i put my safety in the hands of Airbus for long haul flights and other manufacturers for short hall,so when booking flights i now check the details of what aircraft will be used,if it say's Boeing it's thanks but no thanks.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Nathan said:

How on earth can an angle of attack gauge be an optional extra when purchasing an aircraft

Edited by Cathat

Slightly flawed article, Tim. There are four types of MAX. 737-7, -8, -9, and -10. 

Both of the horrible crashes were 737-8s. Yes, SIA is probably trying to hide a little. But not completely. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Vance said:

Slightly flawed article, Tim. There are four types of MAX. 737-7, -8, -9, and -10. 

Both of the horrible crashes were 737-8s. Yes, SIA is probably trying to hide a little. But not completely. 

A little is still hiding, telling half truth is still unacceptable. Ban this airline

5 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

A little is still hiding, telling half truth is still unacceptable. Ban this airline

Not that I'd choose to fly in a B737 MAX, of any variant, however SIA are one of the World's safest airlines and I'm quite sure they have complete faith in the operation of the 737-8's. 

Note: The abbreviated code for the aircraft type is B738.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Not that I'd choose to fly in a B737 MAX, of any variant, however SIA are one of the World's safest airlines and I'm quite sure they have complete faith in the operation of the 737-8's. 

Note: The abbreviated code for the aircraft type is B738.

👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HiuMak said:

It's like driving a 1970s Ford Pinto. 

.... sort of.

An A320 pilot friend of mine transitioned from Boeings incl earlier model 737's, to Airbus 319/320 and could not believe the improvements in design and functionality when comparing comparable year models.  Pilot comfort, cockpit noise, instrumentation and everything was like jumping out of a Pinto into a Tesla.

• Like 4

Boeing lost it's reputation when it moved from Seattle to Chicago. From this moment onward it stopped to be a Engineer driven company to become a Sharholder Value Company ! Investigative Journalist, Seattle based Dominic Gates dgates@seattletimes.com got the whole desaster of Boeing spot on in his reports.

Nothing will ever get me on any Boeing Airplane again. The Desaster is the low Quality turnout that affects not only the overstretched desaster Model Max737 - 8 but the 787 Dreamliner, 777 and even the Kseries Airforce Tanker Planes that the Airforce refused.

The only reason why Boeing still exists is that it's too big to fail and not much of a competition worldwide except for Airbus.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

The answer is "No the Boeing 737max 8 is not safe to fly and will never be". The entire design of the plane is stretched way beyond the limits of the original 737 designed back in the 60's. And for that matter i would also not consider any of the other types of the 737 , the 787 Dreamliner and the 777 safe for reasons best summarized here by Dominic Gates a investigative Journalist based in Seattle and specialized on the Boeing Issue. : https://www.seattletimes.com/author/dominic-gates/

For those travellers who want to be as safe as possible i suggest to book flights that use Aribus which you can find listed on kayak.com (here it shows the aircraft used for each individual flight).

• Like 5

Inevitably I think that truth conquers. Boeing has done nothing to improve their reputation through this. Our flagship is QANTAS. Safety is the first priority and the last. Above share price, profit or anything else. BOeing are now experiencing what happens when they take their eye off the ball.....

31 minutes ago, Jason said:

Our flagship is QANTAS. Safety is the first priority and the last. Above share price, profit or anything else

Don't kid yourself since Alan Joyce became CEO of QANTAS profit has been the number one priority and it will be long after he's gone. 

• Like 1

For the ageing Boeing 737, closer to the ground, the larger engines were simply unable to fit under the wing so needed to be located further forward, and mounted higher up on the wing. 

The new jets under the 737 in the 80s already needed an installation not just under, but before the wing. And the bigger jet engine update in the 90s (737 NG) needed even more modifications, but there they could still rise the landing gear by 20cm.

The 1960 advantage, to have build in ladders, to make the quick on and of possible, without having to wait for landing stairs to be towed to the plane, fired back.

Just: the max 10 got a 10 inch extension.

So they could have skipped the max 10 (10 seats more, only) , giventhe extension to all of the max family and could have put the jets where they didn't affect the safety of the plane.

I for sure will never fly with this plane.

So airlines with airbus only prefered, but in case they fly 737, without the max in the fleet.

• Like 1

I would not knowingly step inside a max. I am a retired military pilot. Modern fighter designs are unstable aerodynamically in order to retain an element of manoeuvrability. They need software to be flyable. Airliners do not or should not need software to be flyable. At least I had access to an ejection system and a parachute if the aircraft was choosing to kill itself. The manufacturer of max 8 was too cheap to design a new aircraft .and too cheap to even train pilots to operate the corrupted software they came up with and fly their new jerryrigged monster. I see zero evidence that aeronautical engineers are back in control at Boeing . Bean counters are still calling the shots. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CamPat said:

The answer is "No the Boeing 737max 8 is not safe to fly and will never be". The entire design of the plane is stretched way beyond the limits of the original 737 designed back in the 60's. And for that matter i would also not consider any of the other types of the 737 , the 787 Dreamliner and the 777 safe for reasons best summarized here by Dominic Gates a investigative Journalist based in Seattle and specialized on the Boeing Issue. : https://www.seattletimes.com/author/dominic-gates/

For those travellers who want to be as safe as possible i suggest to book flights that use Aribus which you can find listed on kayak.com (here it shows the aircraft used for each individual flight).

Very useful information, thank you!

On 12/29/2021 at 4:55 AM, Thaiger said:

The photo is of the new Singapore Airlines Boeing 737-8. Except it’s not really. It’s a Boeing 737 MAX, the most controversial engineering makeover of the past 20 years. Singapore Airlines just don’t want you to know that it’s a ‘MAX’ with all the safety baggage that monicker now carries. A new book is out “Flying Blind — The 737 MAX Tragedy and the Fall of Boeing”, published by Doubleday. It’s a book you need to read if you fly on commercial planes. It’s out on the book shelves at the same time Indonesian flying authorities lift a ban on the latest Boeing 737 […]

The story Is the new Boeing 737 Max safe to fly? A new book makes you wonder. as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

If I can ever avoid it, I won't set a foot on this ill-fated Pläne. A320, here I come.

On 12/30/2021 at 2:18 AM, Vance said:

Technical concept and layout is the same, just different passenger capacity. Wouldn't want to fly with any of them.

• Like 1