News Forum - Thailand Omicron update: More than 500 cases, many Test & Go travellers

Thaiger

13 minutes ago, Rain said:

Appears that we have too many experts [regarding everything] within our illustrious Thaiger venue. 

Indeed we do, all of them Google afficionado's.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stonker said:

Not correct at all.

@TV7 is absolutely spot on despite what you and others commenting here have wrongly claimed.

Going back to 1 November, hospitalizations and numbers in ICU's have remained steady or climbed in those countries with big outbreaks and a population with a similar average age to Thailand, such as the UK, France,  and the USA.

In the UK they've remained steady at around 9,000 and 900 in ICU's.

In France they've doubled from 6,500 and 1,000 to 17,500 and 3,500.

In the USA they've also doubled  from 44,000 and 13,000 to 82,500 and 17,500.

Those statistics do not separate out Omicron.  The US hospital numbers are still almost all Delta.  They are increasing because the US a high number of anti-vax idiots refusing to get jabbed.

As Omicron becomes the dominant strain you will see ICU numbers going down like they are currently doing in S. Africa.  They are up a bit in some countries because there are so many Omicron cases.  However, it peaks very rapidly.  UK is probably just about at peak now so you will probably start to see their ICU numbers go down soon.

Edited by samiam123

3 hours ago, Stonker said:

Well, yes and no.

'Yes', not all of those cases were Omicron - some were and some weren't.

... and 'no', I'm not "wrong" since what you said (your entire post replying to @TV7) was:

and beyond any possible doubt "hospitalization" did NOT go "down in the countries with big outbreaks with Omicron" but it went UP - in the UK the number of hospitalizations from Covid was steady, while in the US it nearly doubled and in France it nearly trebled.

...and if you're trying to say that the number of Omicron cases hospitalized went down that's not correct either since prior to November 22nd when Omicron was first discovered, the number of cases of Omicron was rather obviously zero.

Wrong again!!! The datas of south Africa are avaiable and other countries and shows exactly that you are wrong about Omicron!!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

291fc493-c3f5-4d58-bf7e-0a03123de45c_text.gif

Hahahahaha. Thanks for the movie memory and also about Vincent Price every time I see your posting name. Classic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samiam123 said:

Those statistics do not separate out Omicron.

I've never suggested they did. What I've said, repeatedly, directly quoting @Stardust, is that they are "countries with big outbreaks with Omicron", and that the claim that "hospitalizations went down" in those countries is completely untrue.

The only country where that happened, as I've also said repeatedly, is South Africa (and neighbouring countries to some extent) where the average age is 27, not 41 as it is here or 43 as it is in Europe.

As I've also said repeatedly, all we need do to get the same results as South Africa is to reduce the average age from 41 down to 27.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Wrong again!!! The datas of south Africa are avaiable and other countries and shows exactly that you are wrong about Omicron!!

See above.

As Omicron becomes the dominant strain you will see ICU numbers going down like they are currently doing in S. Africa.

Another thought before you go home for tea and medals as it's all over ...

Take a look at the actual numbers dying in South Africa in the six weeks before Omicron was discovered (22 November) and the six weeks since. They seem to be going one way - and it isn't down.

They are up a bit in some countries because there are so many Omicron cases.  

Yes ... if only there weren't so many Omicron cases it wouldn't be a problem 😂!

• Haha 1

On 12/31/2021 at 7:41 PM, Stonker said:

Well, every UK government committee that's looked at the UK's testing has said that it's been a dismal failure and a complete waste of $50 billion ... but what do they know 😂 ?

I am not sure if that is true, I will have to look into it but I put medical expertise over a politically biased government committee, I prefer to listen to politically independent medical experts.

You have a tendency to discredit what has gone on in the UK re this pandemic and talk up what has gone on in Thailand with some sort of pride.

I did a runner in August 2020 from Thailand back to the UK as I knew they would make a mess of obtaining vaccines in Thailand, they could not organise a piss up in a brewery. 

Then when they did get their act slightly together they came up with the almost useless Chinese vaccine, you have to laugh really. 🤣

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

I am not sure if that is true, ...

I can assure you that it's true, 100%. A search of my posts here using 'committee' will probably save you some time, as I've also quoted some scientists on it.

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

You have a tendency to discredit what has gone on in the UK re this pandemic and talk up what has gone on in Thailand with some sort of pride.

I did a runner in August 2020 from Thailand back to the UK as I knew they would make a mess of obtaining vaccines in Thailand, they could not organise a piss up in a brewery. 

Then when they did get their act slightly together they came up with the almost useless Chinese vaccine, you have to laugh really. 🤣

I can also assure you 100% that that's NOT true where anything to do with the vaccine procurement and allocation has been concerned, nor with just about anything the government here has done to control the spread of Covid from Songkran onwards which I've consistently and repeatedly said has been a total and unmitigated disaster and directly contributed to the spread, nor with any of the economic measures and allowances they've introduced re Covid.

Others have certainly said that I've 'talked it up', but the reality couldn't be further away.

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

I can assure you that it's true, 100%. A search of my posts here using 'committee' will probably save you some time, as I've also quoted some scientists on it.

I can also assure you 100% that that's NOT true where anything to do with the vaccine procurement and allocation has been concerned, nor with just about anything the government here has done to control the spread of Covid from Songkran onwards which I've consistently and repeatedly said has been a total and unmitigated disaster and directly contributed to the spread, nor with any of the economic measures and allowances they've introduced re Covid.

Others have certainly said that I've 'talked it up', but the reality couldn't be further away.

The problem with such exchanges as in emails etc are difficult as we can not see facial expressions, tone of voice and can not add in that much detail in two minute exchanges to bring our comments across as they were meant. 

Yes thinking back you have criticised the you know who over there on many occasions.

Be careful though as the French chap we have read about recently was deported for his views on you know who.

8 minutes ago, JamesR said:

The problem with such exchanges as in emails etc are difficult as we can not see facial expressions, tone of voice and can not add in that much detail in two minute exchanges to bring our comments across as they were meant. 

Yes thinking back you have criticised the you know who over there on many occasions.

Be careful though as the French chap we have read about recently was deported for his views on you know who.

Best only to discuss such things with folks that you know well - person to person.

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

You seem to be confusing my posts with someone else's. No real surprise.

On 12/28/2021 at 2:17 PM, beachwalker said:

I am from the UK.I had Covid 7/12/21 I got my NHS covid recovered cert and noted section 3 on the Thai pass that they recognised covid could cause a postive test and to have proof of recovery.My pre departure test in the uk on Christmas Eve was negative..So i went ahead with the flight.Arrived to test and go on the 27th ,had my PCR at the hotel.This morning at 11am I was told the test was inconclusive,I have to stay in room for 2 days while Dept of Public Health do a check.If the NHS had not given me my Covid travel pass and the Thai embassy webite on the Thailand pass page ,had siad about inconclusive tests ,I would have cancelled my flights.Now I am paying 3000 baht a day and I really dont know what will happen.

Hey Beachwalker, how did this end?
Im kind off in the same situation, i have Covid now, and im flying to Thailand at the end of the month.

• Like 1

I'm not surprised omicron is showing up after the 2nd test on arrival. We have been so careful with contact and testing but on arrival in Qatar Airport our fast turn around was cancelled due to lack of passengers and we were stuck in a congested airport for 10 hours with many not wearing or properly wearing masks or respecting distance, the eventual flight to BKK was not better. 

I have to add for information that arrival and processing in BKK Airport was very efficient, as was the test and go at Novotel, and also add that in general Thai shops and poeple are very good to follow the rules, u can see motor cyclists everywhere wearing masks - but 60% with no helmet of course, 🙄

21 hours ago, Huckster said:

Hey Beachwalker, how did this end?
Im kind off in the same situation, i have Covid now, and im flying to Thailand at the end of the month.

I had a blood test because I had my NHS Covid recovered cert,which said the date I had Covid in the UK,the Thai pass item 3 clearly says between 2 weeks and 3 months,if you test positive have your proof of recovery.The blood test was 1700 baht it proved it was the old Covid still showing,I was free to go.So now I just had my 5-7 test result ..I am clear,nut my husband is now inconclusive..what the hell.He has to have another PCR 5/1,but we are walking round Hua Hin ,not confined to our room,whereas in the BK hotel ,we were room jailed.I came to T to check my condo and sort my Thai bank account out...don't risk it for just a holiday.I wont come back until there is no testing!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So the PCR test requirement pays off - I just got my travel PCR test back and it was positive even though I feel fine and had 3 Pfizer shots.  
So now I wonder what happens with regard to my Thailand Pass status.  It could take three months before I test negative even though I will no longer be contagious in a couple of weeks.  🤔

On 12/28/2021 at 3:25 AM, Thaiger said:

As of yesterday, there have been 514 Omicron cases reported in Thailand, according to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration. Of that number, 147 are local transmissions while others are from overseas, many who travelled to Thailand under the Test & Go quarantine exemption scheme. The entry programme allows fully vaccinated travellers from approved countries to enter Thailand after passing an on-arrival RT-PCR test. Registration for the scheme has been closed due to the uptick in Omicron cases involving travellers entering the country. Here are some notable cases reported over the last few weeks… 25 Omicron cases reported after religious […]

The story Thailand Omicron update: More than 500 cases, many Test & Go travellers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Now that we are two weeks out from NYE festivities, it is a good sign that there has not been an explosion of "cases". Most importantly, deaths have remained low when you consider that most CV19 deaths are due to other factors. 

1 hour ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Now that we are two weeks out from NYE festivities, it is a good sign that there has not been an explosion of "cases". Most importantly, deaths have remained low when you consider that most CV19 deaths are due to other factors. 

There was a sharp increases in most other countries in the world, I think the key words of this article are, "....reported in Thailand..."

If a country  does not test then they don't know, or maybe they don't want to know. 

Plus if you are tested positive in the UK you go home to isolate, in Thailand you go to a 'prison camp' so who would admit to testing positive if self testing in Thailand?