News Forum - Driven by Omicron, Australia’s daily new infections surge past 10,000 for first time

Thaiger

For the first time since the start of the pandemic, Australia has reported over 10,000 daily new infections as the Omicron variant takes hold. According to a Bloomberg report, the state of New South Wales reported 6,324 infections yesterday, with 520 patients hospitalised. Of those, 55 are in intensive care. NSW also reported its first death from the Omicron variant. It’s understood the male patient contracted the virus in a nursing home. He was fully vaccinated but in his 80s, with underlying health conditions. NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard says he believes everyone in the state will contract the Omicron […]

The story Driven by Omicron, Australia’s daily new infections surge past 10,000 for first time as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard says he believes everyone in the state will contract the Omicron variant at some stage."

I suspect that he is correct.

I hope that all Aussies get properly vaccinated in order to lessen the severity of the virus/illness and free up hospital beds for those who really need them.

I'd be nice to see 'Sheila' back on Thai beaches!

5 hours ago, Thaiger said:

According to a Bloomberg report, the state of New South Wales reported 6,324 infections yesterday, with 520 patients hospitalised. Of those, 55 are in intensive care.

520 hospitalised out of 6,324 known, and 55 of the 520 in intensive care.  That may make it less severe for those infected than Delta, but it's still putting more people in intensive care.

9 minutes ago, Rain said:

Noticed the hefty [even record breaking] spikes of the dreaded Omicron in the most civilised West - U.S., Europe, Aus.

Why is this? 

🤨

Just more testing is the easy answer. Anyway only the numbers from the hospitalisation is interesting and this results say is from the former variants there. Without testing mostly they even would not know they are infected with the Omicron.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I hope that all Aussies get properly vaccinated in order to lessen the severity of the virus/illness and free up hospital beds for those who really need them.

Unfortunately there are some politicians from right of centre promoting anti vaxx messaging, as well as a multi billionaire, Clive Palmer, who is spending millions on anti vax messaging in an effort to regain some political seats in the next election in 2022. Ignorance seems to be the dominant trait  in roughly 10 - 15% of the Oz population.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The big scare is on already especially in NSW, what a joke. The only fatality sadly was " He was fully vaccinated but in his 80s, with underlying health conditions ". This is no cause for alarm and I don't why the media make it look like armageddon ffs?? As for Xi XingMcGowan in WA, and yes, I am from WA, and this Premier is worse than Xi and Kim put together. I understand he wants WA to be safe, but to put the whole state into lockdown and mask wearing for a single case is pathetic. It's like being made to social distance in the airport checking in, then being packed in planes like sardines, and allowed to demask for 15+ minutes to eat and drink?? Please tell the difference of wearing the mask, and not wearing the mask on a plane or out in open? Yes, I wear one on the streets in Thailand because it's law. The over reation is what annoys me. Like each Flu Season for the last millenia, we need to learn to just be vigilant like before and just get on with life, not suppress it or lock it up. Be safe everyone. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Chaz said:

The big scare is on already especially in NSW, what a joke. The only fatality sadly was " He was fully vaccinated but in his 80s, with underlying health conditions ". This is no cause for alarm and I don't why the media make it look like armageddon ffs?? As for Xi XingMcGowan in WA, and yes, I am from WA, and this Premier is worse than Xi and Kim put together. I understand he wants WA to be safe, but to put the whole state into lockdown and mask wearing for a single case is pathetic. It's like being made to social distance in the airport checking in, then being packed in planes like sardines, and allowed to demask for 15+ minutes to eat and drink?? Please tell the difference of wearing the mask, and not wearing the mask on a plane or out in open? Yes, I wear one on the streets in Thailand because it's law. The over reation is what annoys me. Like each Flu Season for the last millenia, we need to learn to just be vigilant like before and just get on with life, not suppress it or lock it up. Be safe everyone. 

Should do better on the Covid numbers then?

On 12/28/2021 at 2:27 AM, Rain said:

Noticed the hefty [even record breaking] spikes of the dreaded Omicron in the most civilised West - U.S., Europe, Aus.

Why is this? 

🤨

Because the Jewish Space Laser was pointed in the wrong direction?

On 12/28/2021 at 5:51 PM, PBS said:

Unfortunately there are some politicians from right of centre promoting anti vaxx messaging, as well as a multi billionaire, Clive Palmer, who is spending millions on anti vax messaging in an effort to regain some political seats in the next election in 2022. Ignorance seems to be the dominant trait  in roughly 10 - 15% of the Oz population.

I hope I am not one of them but you did forget to mention Sky TV where the crazys try to sell their message to the gulliable. 

3 minutes ago, Thommo said:

I hope I am not one of them but you did forget to mention Sky TV where the crazys try to sell their message to the gulliable. 

One of them, Alan Jones, was removed from Sky news for misinformation concerning Covid. Some politicians also deserve to be removed from their positions, no pension etc, but politicians live in a golden cage of immunity - abuse of 'freedom of speech' with zero consequences.

• Like 2

Australia had nearly 2 years to prepare with most states busy enjoying a covid free life, gloating how citizens locked out of the country was for the greater good and draconian extreme policing in others.

Now it has arrived, it's a complete mess with a lack of uniform policy, covid testing, and politicians desperate to lay blame or just fuel far-right anti-vax messaging.

2 years. And this is the best you could do. For shame. No wonder many Aussie ex-pats don't call Australia home anymore.

49 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

Australia had nearly 2 years to prepare with most states busy enjoying a covid free life, gloating how citizens locked out of the country was for the greater good and draconian extreme policing in others.

Now it has arrived, it's a complete mess with a lack of uniform policy, covid testing, and politicians desperate to lay blame or just fuel far-right anti-vax messaging.

2 years. And this is the best you could do. For shame. No wonder many Aussie ex-pats don't call Australia home anymore.

Citizens were not locked out, your comment is not factual in this regard

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 12:38 PM, Shade_Wilder said:

"NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard says he believes everyone in the state will contract the Omicron variant at some stage."

I suspect that he is correct.

I'd be nice to see 'Sheila' back on Thai beaches!

The official UK stats show that only 20% of hospital admissions were for Covid complications and that 80% were admitted for other things and found to have Covid, or contracted Covid IN hospital!

Cases ARE skyrocketing, but hospitalisations dropped 30% in a week, and the number of deaths is also plummeting. This mirrors what has been seen in South Africa.