News Forum - Plans change for 30,000 tourists, European travel firm cancels flights to Phuket

Thaiger

7 hours ago, Cabra said:

If you travel you need to do it on the dips (the last window was November). There has been a lot of overreacting to omicron, and too many variables out of your control.

The world has become so insane people have had to come up with ideas like traveling on the dips (i.e. the lower level of insanity).

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dialemco said:

Thailand wants tourists but wants them to take all the risks and expenses without realising that this is unacceptable

What makes you think "Thailand wants tourists"?

Despite all the weeping and wailing here and all the protests in Bangkok and elsewhere over the last couple of years for everything from LGBT rights to Sect 112 to school uniforms, have you ever seen any protests by anyone wanting the borders opened and international arrivals welcomed?

... any protests even in Pattaya or Phuket?

... or even any petitions for it that have had popular Thai support and haven't been organised and signed off by a bunch of foreigners with only token Thai support?

Doesn't that tell you something?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, kmc said:

The world has become so insane people have had to come up with ideas like traveling on the dips (i.e. the lower level of insanity).

Why would that be "insane"?

People don't travel during certain holiday times to avoid it being too busy

What is the difference here?

I guarantee I have travelled much more than you have during all this

And yes. it was much less stressful travelling when covid wasn't peaking when you need a negative test to get back home.....

I was just around 4 or 5 friends and family that ended up with covid after

I wasn't concerned healthwise, but it is a concern getting stuck.....

So looking at travel when covid isn't peaking is sensible......

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

6 hours ago, riclag said:

This represents the tasks one might encounter on their way to the LOS. 
You’ll be ok though, you won’t be lugging a briefcase along with you!

0FE0696D-E0B3-4884-8CBB-C58827B50438.thumb.jpeg.c5163425b78c30ade1c7f10491aa97ca.jpeg

you  should  inform TAT  of  this possible  new advertising plan🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Why would that be "insane"?

People don't travel during certain holiday times to avoid it being too busy

What is the difference here?

I guarantee I have travelled much more than you have during all this

And yes. it was much less stressful travelling when covid wasn't peaking when you need a negative test to get back home.....

I was just around 4 or 5 friends and family that ended up with covid after

I wasn't concerned healthwise, but it is a concern getting stuck.....

So looking at travel when covid isn't peaking is sensible......

I wasn't calling the idea insane.  I was calling our society so insane that people have to come up with such creative ways to travel (i.e. traveling on the covid dip).  

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

Despite all the weeping and wailing here and all the protests in Bangkok and elsewhere over the last couple of years for everything from LGBT rights to Sect 112 to school uniforms, have you ever seen any protests by anyone wanting the borders opened and international arrivals welcomed?

... or even any petitions for it that have had popular Thai support and haven't been organised and signed off by a bunch of foreigners with only token Thai support?

School Children demonstrate. Not the destitute who can afford the luxury. Despite this it is obvious you have not listened to the news recently.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

School Children demonstrate. Not the destitute who can afford the luxury. Despite this it is obvious you have not listened to the news recently.

Mistake should have written 'cannot afford the luxury'

12 hours ago, diegogg said:

Amazing how news outlets still talk about the "Test & Go scheme" as a way to enter Thailand without having to quarantine, when the Thailand Pass website explicitly said you need to quarantine for one day.

Having done both the ASQ 15 day quarentine and the TP entry I would agree with the news comments that no quarentine was required for the TP, only a negative test after arrival, in my case that was 13 hours until I had the result and could leave the SHA+ hotel.  Not sure what there is to be amazed about!

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

Actually, when ya get down to it, Thais don't truly give a rat's backside if tourists come around or not.

Yet, it's the govt, media and terribly unknowledgeable foreigners that forever promote and touch these ideals that tourism is the end all saviour to all their ills. 

1 hour ago, Rain said:

Actually, when ya get down to it, Thais don't truly give a rat's backside if tourists come around or not.

Yet, it's the govt, media and terribly unknowledgeable foreigners that forever promote and touch these ideals that tourism is the end all saviour to all their ills. 

Although I agree with that mostly.

I do think people overestimate how much Thailand relies on tourism 

There is still a decent % of Thais that work or revenue are  from the tourist industry 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dialemco said:

School Children demonstrate. Not the destitute who can afford the luxury.

5 hours ago, Dialemco said:

Mistake should have written 'cannot afford the luxury'

Really? 

Only "schoolchildren demonstrate" in Thailand?

Maybe you need to get out a bit more, and see who's been demonstrating and protesting in what's come close to civil war for the last couple of decades ... or even the last couple of years, with anti-government protests, pro LGBT, anti S 112, pro democracy, lottery sellers, prostitutes, blue flag, etc, etc, etc.

... and what else do "the destitute" have to do in Pattaya or Phuket?

But none have protested about border closures, and none have complained about tourist restrictions.

None.

Beyond the farang big-hitters and a minimal and token Thai representation in petitions, it simply hasn't happened.

That doesn't mean they're not hit hard by the lack of tourists in some areas, but they're very clearly not as desperate to have tourists back as some like to imagine.

6 hours ago, Dialemco said:

Despite this it is obvious you have not listened to the news recently.

What "news"?

There's nothing on the Thai news media about any demos or protests about border restrictions - absolutely nothing😂!

3 hours ago, Rain said:

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Although I agree with that mostly.

I do think people overestimate how much Thailand relies on tourism 

There is still a decent % of Thais that work or revenue are  from the tourist industry 

Spot on.

Despite what the TAT will tell you (it's their job) and the "unknowledgeable foreigners", the reality is that for the 95% of Thais outside Pattaya, Phuket and Patpong tourism is seldom a consideration, and it isn't the tourists that keep the wheels on the cart or the buffalo alive but the factories and industries.

Sure, it's a "decent %" of revenue but only for a small % of people and even they're not showing any sign of being desperate for their return any time soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Spot on.

Despite what the TAT will tell you (it's their job) and the "unknowledgeable foreigners", the reality is that for the 95% of Thais outside Pattaya, Phuket and Patpong tourism is seldom a consideration, and it isn't the tourists that keep the wheels on the cart or the buffalo alive but the factories and industries.

Sure, it's a "decent %" of revenue but only for a small % of people and even they're not showing any sign of being desperate for their return any time soon.

So you think you know everything. Tourism has helped Thailand develope into a relatively wealthy country and will still exist without it but the standard of living for many has dropped considerably over the last two years without it. It is not only affecting the main tourist areas but the many workers from the North East some who been able to return to their homes to eak out a living from farming whose family income had previously be supplemented from tourism earning. However many who have had to remain in tourist locations are without any income at all and have to rely upon the generosity of others to obtain food and other necessities of living especially the Children whose families do not have money for remote learning or to go to school when open  for transportation, uniforms, contributions to learning materials, school meals etc. 

Spot on.

And that's why I have aksed on here before if anyone knows of any "devastation " stories because I personally don't know any 

And I am sure there are plenty but it's not even a tiny %, really 

From BIL's who drive MB taxi, to small business owners 

Sure, some have had to tighten their buckles a bit, but not any real devastation 

Some people took on risk starting a business in tourist areas and lost it.

That happens, businesses are risks.....

But so many guys think Thailand is Pattaya and Phuket 

They don't realize a lot of Thais were working from home, just like the rest of the world 

And the ones that have had it tough 

One of the great qualities of Thailand and Thai families

That along with all the drama that sometimes come with Thai families

They do rally around each other 

No one goes hungry, so to speak

Most families will have enough people to pitch in and feed the rest 

• Like 1

Just now, Dialemco said:

So you think you know everything. Tourism has helped Thailand develope into a relatively wealthy country and will still exist without it but the standard of living for many has dropped considerably over the last two years without it. It is not only affecting the main tourist areas but the many workers from the North East some who been able to return to their homes to eak out a living from farming whose family income had previously be supplemented from tourism earning. However many who have had to remain in tourist locations are without any income at all and have to rely upon the generosity of others to obtain food and other necessities of living especially the Children whose families do not have money for remote learning or to go to school when open  for transportation, uniforms, contributions to learning materials, school meals etc. 

He didn't claim to know everyone 

But all you have to do is look at Thailand as a whole 

Tourism makes up a small part of it

Many Thais have been hurt by the pandemic

But many more haven't......

This is just personal experience 

But I don't know any Thais who have been devastated by all of this 

And that's a wide demographic of people in all parts of Thailand 

That's not saying many haven't been hurt

But some on here seem to think Thais and Thailand are only the Thais around the tourist areas 

• Like 1

The tourism industry accounts for roughly 20% of GDP.

Just saying....

Edited by astro
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

I far from "know everything", but I've been around here long enough to know that this idea that " family income [in the North East] had previously be supplemented from [foreign] tourism earning " is for the most part a complete and total myth.

It's a myth that's actively supported by those working in the tourist areas, unsurprisingly, but live for any length of time in the rural towns and villages and it couldn't be clearer, particularly recently, that for every one working in the tourist industry sending money home to support their families, particularly their children there are at least ten sending more money home, more regularly, who are working in factories or in industry.

Sure, the standard of living has been hit in the North East but that's been in part because of the end of local / domestic tourism and in part because of the drop in money sent home by those working in factories as production and OT has been cut. 

The money sent home from those in the tourist industry was so small before that it just made no noticeable difference.

• Like 1

article is a bit strange, a bit far fetching about numbers and time frame... many airlines cancelled flights till April and yes, plans changed... everything changed by this virus, no time to roll eyes about it

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, astro said:

The tourism industry accounts for roughly 20% of GDP.

Just saying....

I wouldn't disagree with that, although the more generally reported figure is usually around 12 %, but you have to consider not only that that includes domestic tourism and travel but, more importantly, how that 20% (or 12%) is spread around.

My main point is that despite the weeping and wailing here, there's simply no sign that anyone apart from the wannabe tourists and the foreign element, from the big hitters to the go-go bar owners, is getting upset about it.

They're getting upset about pretty much anything and everything else, but just not tourism and opening up to tourists.

That suggests to me that they're not that keen ... 😕

• Like 2

I think people forget the amount of free money sent by farang every month whole villages are built from that its free money you not need to produce something for it 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, poohy said:

Used to contract to Tui

They are absolute  ***ts but they will only go where they can make money

Not suprised!

Tui is a Buisness like all Businesses. There there to make Money not give it away. 

53 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

You've been taken in by some hard luck story from a bar girl, it seems. Most of those in the tourist entertainment trade spend everything on having a good time. They may intend on sending money home but few do. Those with real jobs are generally much more responsible and actually send money to support parents.

I've heard the story many times myself and many have good intentions, but don't seem to pull it off. If a boyfriend arrives there's a much better chance. 

Most are happy go lucky types and only live in the moment. Many Thai girls that finished there education are totally different and show great responsibility to there family and would avoid entertainment jobs. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Prosaap said:

I think people forget the amount of free money sent by farang every month whole villages are built from that its free money you not need to produce something for it 

A drop in the ocean. Inconsequential.

I

• Like 1